Barrel questions for new build

Mag_7s

WKR
I'd be willing to bet if guys getting clicks had strain gauges instead of chronographs....they wouldn't get clickers.
Serious question, not argument. How would a strain gauge help not get clickers?
I just leaned about clickers today from wind gypsy, so I'm trying to expand my knowledge.

OP
Badseed

Badseed

WKR
I checked back with bartlein and they are still 7-8 months backorder for a new barrel. Benchmark is over a year backorder for a new barrel. Since Im being impatient, it looks like I will end up with a proof barrel unless I can find a smith who has a benchmark in stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wrench

WKR
Serious question, not argument. How would a strain gauge help not get clickers?
I just leaned about clickers today from wind gypsy, so I'm trying to expand my knowledge.
By not blowing the web out on the case....keeping pressure down.

Mag_7s

WKR
I checked back with bartlein and they are still 7-8 months backorder for a new barrel. Benchmark is over a year backorder for a new barrel. Since Im being impatient, it looks like I will end up with a proof barrel unless I can find a smith who has a benchmark in stock.

I'm not trying to talk you out carbonic? as i have a vested interestin them as well, but have you considered carbonsix?

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
You build your dream custom rifle, and it doesn’t shoot for shit… why… because you just had to have a carbon barrel. HAHA

Over the last year, I have been a part of hundreds of load developments, and the facts are clear. Steel barrels are easier to tune than carbon barrels. Go with a quality steel barrel.

Last edited:

gbflyer

WKR
I have a X-Caliber CF barrel. Not a PRC. They chambered it too. It shoots great. 8-12 weeks or something out. It isn’t much lighter than a conventional contour, but it’s short. The dividends start paying a little better as you go longer. I wanted to try one, I probably wouldn’t do it again but zero complaints.

If Alex Wheeler said the PRC needs a different chamber, it needs a different chamber. His name and sloppy do not go together at all.

wapitibob

WKR

Buying a Bartlein from a dealer shouldn't be an issue I wouldn't shoot a four Groove proof for a 6.5 myself.

Wrench

WKR
So you would measure each case post fireing as you work up your charge weight?
I check web expansion for sure....especially on a big fat case with a little hole pushing a long bullet.

Don't get me wrong....I still get greedy too, but I know why.

Fwiw, I have a 308win (palma reamer) that started to click at well over 2700 fps with a 200.20x.

Last edited:

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I check web expansion for sure....especially on a big fat case with a little hole pushing a long bullet.

Fwiw, I have a 300win (palma reamer) that started to click at well over 2700 fps with a 200.20x.
For a long time I thought all cartrages with a Lapua bolt face came with a click. LOL

Fwiw, I have a 300win (palma reamer) that started to click at well over 2700 fps with a 200.20x.

Assume you mean 308?

Mag_7s

WKR

Thanks Wrench, I do measure case web, if I feel there is an issue. (I learned the hard way on this one). But I've never heard of the "click" before. Thanks to you and windgypsy, im learning a lot on here.

Flyjunky

WKR
If Alex Wheeler said the PRC needs a different chamber, it needs a different chamber. His name and sloppy do not go together at all.
Exactly what I was thinking when it was mentioned that the AW reamer is sloppy. He's probably one of the best, most detailed oriented smiths in the country.

OP
Badseed

Badseed

WKR
Exactly what I was thinking when it was mentioned that the AW reamer is sloppy. He's probably one of the best, most detailed oriented smiths in the country.

There are a few names that get thrown around with nothing respect. Alex wheeler is one of those names which is why I was surprised when another reputable name said the larger AW2 reamer was sloppy and unnecessary. For what its worth, the smith commented that the AW reamer was primarily created to solve problems by using poor quality brass. Lapua brass still reigns king as far as strength and consistency.

OP
Badseed

Badseed

WKR
One other CF barrel name that is worth a discussion is Hells Canyon Armory. I have read multiple reviews about the quality and consistency of his barrels. Apparently he starts with a benchmark core and layers his own carbon. It sounds like he has barrel weights similar to Proof. Has anyone tried a HCA carbon barrel?

Flyjunky

WKR
One other CF barrel name that is worth a discussion is Hells Canyon Armory. I have read multiple reviews about the quality and consistency of his barrels. Apparently he starts with a benchmark core and layers his own carbon. It sounds like he has barrel weights similar to Proof. Has anyone tried a HCA carbon barrel?

My new build will be sporting an HCA barrel. From the people I know who have some they're all very impressed with the quality and accuracy so I decided to try one.

Pass. Have one sitting in the safe that got pulled well before the end of its life and replaced by a steel barrel that doesn’t have a cold bore shift and is much more accurate and consistent.

Last edited: