Barrel contour/weights/lengths

Prairiekid

Lil-Rokslider
Hi,

I have a M7 - 7 saum and a T3 - 300 wsm. I am thinking of rebarreling one of them. The cartridge would be 7 saum. I think I understand enough from reading all of yours posts on the limitations of each action in regards to the 7 saum.

My question is about barrel contour. I prefer a shorter barrel and also a lighter rifle, but it doesn't have to get to the ultra light category.

I am trying to figure out how much weight I might drop from going from the M7 22" magnum contour to a #2 20" or from the WSM 24" to a #2 20"? I hope I am making at least a little sense. I am just trying to get a ball park figure for the final weight of either rifle with that barrel swap.

Cheers, any other tips, I'm all ears.

You want a Bartlein 2b. IMO, anything less and you will regret it. Perfect balance of shootability and portability in that contour.

To answer your question, I see about a 4 to 6 ounce reduction in weight, respectively. Not worth it, given the more fickle nature of featherweight barrels like #2 and less

Also, for what it’s worth, I have a 300 WSM on a Borden short action, McMillan edge stock, and a 22 inch Bart 2b with a 3 port Hawkins brake. It’s perfect. Weighs 6 1/2 pounds on the nose without a scope. I absolutely would not want it any lighter.

For a slick carry weight contour, a Bartlein 2B or a Douglas #3 sporter will put you in the right zone - light enough, heavy enough, stiff enough. Both have enough beef to add flute cuts.

Thanks for the input.

To be sure I just measured the factory barrel, it's what Bartlein has listed as a #19 Rem Mag Sporter @ 22"

I'm not sure if I would flute the barrel, for two reasons. It keeps the cost down and two allows me to easily shorten the barrel at a later date, if for some reason I wanted that.

I think based on your recommendations and my desire to keep it light I would go for the Bartlein #2 or 2b, without a brake. Living in Canada, suppressors are not allowed and in my style of hunting it doesn't make sense to have a brake. While hunting most of my shots are off hand in heavy bush, the odd time I may be kneeling or leaning against a tree.

At one time I had a different T3 300 WSM, the previous owner had shortened the barrel to 20". It weighed 5.99 naked, it was a pleasure to carry, but with 180 gr Accubonds, it was quite unpleasant to shoot.

I think with 140-150 gr bullets out of a 7 saum it should be more reasonable? Comparable to a lighter 30.06.

The rifle below was one I was interested in a while back. Obviously, I won't get anywhere that weight and I'm not intending to. The barrel on it is a #2 KS which is .58 at the muzzle, so from what I an tell with an amateur eye, just a bit smaller than the #2 Bartlein. I guess the stock is the most reasonable place to start looking for weight reduction.

4AD1AA5F-6583-40CA-B022-A6D48C2DC0D5_1_105_c.jpeg

OP

On barrel weights and flutes:

If I understand your description (#19 to #2), you'll reduce a lot of weight. You also need to consider the barrel channel - can always go bigger and widen the inlet, a smaller contour leaves gaps.

#2 sporter = alpine light. At 20" or 22"barrel length, you could do a 2B or any #3 or 4 sporter contour with flutes and stay under the weight of the lighter carbon fiber-wrapped makes. For perspective, I have a #5 Benchmark 22.5" fluted that weighs 2.75 pounds. I had a Bartlein #4 CF that finished at 3 pounds (24") and I have a Benchmark CF Lt Sendero 22" that weighs #2.75.

The steel barrel in the photo is a fluted K&P in #3 Douglas that weighs less than 2.5# @23". The other rifle is a Bartlein CF in 7 SAUM (sold it).
Screen Shot 2022-05-29 at 3.01.44 PM.png
If you think you might shorten the barrel, have the flute cuts end approx 5" before the muzzle.

Edit note: Isn't a Rem #19 contour like tank weight? Am not confident about some of the specs in your posts.

Last edited:
I have a Remington Model Seven SS in 7 SAUM with the factory 22” barrel. It now wears a B&C stock is is perfect for me. 2950fps with 160 grain Accubonds.

Hey Hill Difficulty,

The reason I called my current barrel, the factory barrel the equivalent of a #19 contour is because of the chart on the Bartlein website. You can see it below. I just measured everything again, and the barrel I have is pretty close to the one listed as #19 Bartlein Contour - Rem Mag Sporter. Just a quick measurement at D1, D2 & F gave me 0.930, 0.834, and 0.655 respectively.

Screen Shot 2022-05-29 at 5.23.00 PM.png

I will likely choose to get my barrel at K.S. Arms, they have a good reputation and can get it gone right here in Alberta.

K.S. has its own barrel contour chart. I figured that their closest barrel to the Bartlein 2B is a K.S. #3

Screen Shot 2022-05-29 at 9.04.34 PM.png

I definitely won't go CF. I do think they look great, but for my uses of hunting big game it probably doesn't make sense. And like you said, they are often heavier than their fluted counterparts.

I was hoping to just get an idea of how much weight I might be able to drop by trimming off a couple of inches or dropping down a contour or two and also how shootable it will feel. I think the feedback has helped. You make a good point about how reducing the contour too much could result in unsightly gaps.

Cheers,

That helps, thx. I always thought of Rem Sporter counters as 002 thru 006 and all having a 1.20" breech diameter. Bartlein must have their own version, which appears to be similar to a Rem Mag Sporter 005. Douglas Barrels has a Rem contour chart on their website that might help. In any case, your KS#3 pick seems to align with your goal. When thinking about your current stock's barrel inlet, be sure to note that Remington contours do not have a straight shank section at the breech end.

Back