Barnes TTSX vs TSX out of same gun....

Anybody with first hand experience in POI variance with one vs the other? The tipped one is marketed as more accurate, and I'm sure encourages expansion. Given the application, I'm not terribly worried about a more rapid expansion, but consistent grouping is important. Obviously every gun and every cartridge behave a bit differently, but even better would be if anybody has seen what the difference is between two out of 270WSM or 300WM.

Thanks.

Last edited:

SloppyJ

WKR
Sub'd for responses. The only non tipped TSX I've shot has been in my 30-30 and it did not like them much at all.

TN2shot07

WKR
I still have some of the Federal loaded tsx for my 270, almost exact same point of impact as the Barnes loaded ttsx both 130 grains. Quite a bit of change for the lrx though

There have been articles and youtube videos on shooting all copper bullets after lead ammo has been fired in the same gun. The experts say "clean them thoroughly if lead ammo has been used or your copper bullets may suffer accuracy issues. Bottom line is don't try to mix lead and copper ammo out of the same barrel without a thorough cleaning. I know this is not related to the original topic but since we are talking about copper bullets, I thought I would share.

ODB

WKR
If you mean mixing them, no. But, for my .338, the guy a bought it from used the 225TSX, I chose the 225TTSX. Both loads shot into .75”

OP
P
Have not been able to find any ammo with TTSX for 270 wsm.

Yesterday I did find TSX for $38 per box. Bought 4 boxes. Will let yall know how they shoot. Will definitely do a very thorough cleaning before shooting.

Also found some nosler ammo with 140 accubobdsv which gun loves. Pricy, but bought 4 them, too. And a while back bought some 150 accubond long range by mistake. I thought they were the 140 normals. I was so excited to see them. I clicked submit and placed the order and they showed up. I was a little bit disappointed. Gun not wild about them… I think barrel has a hard time stabilizing. I’ve also read some pretty disappointing things about weight retention at close range, which makes sense.

KenLee

WKR
Have not been able to find any ammo with TTSX for 270 wsm.

Yesterday I did find TSX for $38 per box. Bought 4 boxes. Will let yall know how they shoot. Will definitely do a very thorough cleaning before shooting.

Also found some nosler ammo with 140 accubobdsv which gun loves. Pricy, but bought 4 them, too. And a while back bought some 150 accubond long range by mistake. I thought they were the 140 normals. I was so excited to see them. I clicked submit and placed the order and they showed up. I was a little bit disappointed. Gun not wild about them… I think barrel has a hard time stabilizing. I’ve also read some pretty disappointing things about weight retention at close range, which makes sense.
Try the eld-x

OP
P
Try the eld-x
Have a stag hunt coming up and concept of mono bullet has been appealing for 270 wsm. I’m sure a bonded bullet be fine, but a little more weight retention and penetration sounded good if I had to take less than ideal shot. Hopefully they group well.

OP
P
The TTSX is amazingly accurate. But they don't expand well in Elk. At least not my Bull.
Think that’s to be expected. Like I said, I’m sure the 140 accumonds at 3100 Fps be adequate on a stag. Just want to have that retention and penetration on a questionable shot if I had to take it. Hopefully the tsx group as well as the TTSX

As I mentioned, my gun loves the TTSX. But I had to shoot the Elk 4 times through the lungs, broadside. 180 yards. Good thing he didn't run, or I'd still be looking for him.

Now my bigger problem, I can't find lead ammo as accurate for this .308

S-3 ranch

WKR
As I mentioned, my gun loves the TTSX. But I had to shoot the Elk 4 times through the lungs, broadside. 180 yards. Good thing he didn't run, or I'd still be looking for him.

Your elk sounds like some of the stuff I have killed with a Barnes X
Dead and didn’t know it
Gotta crush some bone besides letting the air out of them

SloppyJ

WKR

Try the Berger 168 classic Hunters or one of their longer VLD style offerings in 30cal if you have the room in the magazine. My 308 loves both the TTSXs and the 168 classic hunters and shoots them very close to the same group sizes. If you're this into bullet construction, terminal performance, and precision, might be time to start reloading.

David Walter

FNG
Classified Approved
For what it’s worth, Bill Wilson has killed hundreds and hundreds of big game animals from pigs to deer to elk to moose and African plains game and he says he gave up monos for hunting because of unreliable expansion.

He hunts with cup and core or bonded bullets.

Although WC owns Lehigh and they sell monos for hunting.

OP
P
For what it’s worth, Bill Wilson has killed hundreds and hundreds of big game animals from pigs to deer to elk to moose and African plains game and he says he gave up monos for hunting because of unreliable expansion.

He hunts with cup and core or bonded bullets.

Although WC owns Lehigh and they sell monos for hunting.
Yeah. I like the grenade theory. I’ve only killed probably 190 white tail and pigs. Never killed milk or a moose. I’ve tried.

David Walter

FNG
Classified Approved
Alaska is full of old timers killing stuff with cup and core bullets, including moose and big bears. My friend just got back from Russia where he shot a 10 foot brown bear and his son shot a 9’6” brown bear with a 30-06 and 220 grain partitions.

In 1998 I went on a plains game hunt in Zimbabwe and took a 308 with the then new Barnes 180 grain X bullet with the blue coating.

Killed everything up to zebra and kudu (largest game I hunted) with one shot.

I’m certain, on reflection, a 180 partition or pointed soft point would have killed them just as dead.

SDHNTR

WKR
I’ve shot both extensively. Some guns will shoot the two similarly, some won’t. Especially at greater distances. There’s simply no generality. You’ll need to shoot both to see how they behave in your gun.

medvedyt

Lil-Rokslider
my 30-06 is shooting with the same accuracy 168ttx and 165tsx factory ammo vortex and federal brands.
it is a tikka t3x stainless left hand with vx3 2,5-8x36.

we ll see if my reload is as good.