Bargaining on new vehicle prices? (Boats)

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I’m getting ready to drop some $$$ on a brand new jet boat, it may be the last one on the lot and happens to be what I want.

I realize there are shortages on everything, my local boat dealer is out of anything in the 16-18 foot jet boat range as in he can’t get anymore for the year. The dealer I’m about to buy from can “order” boats but who knows what that means….I know guys who spring checked new ski doo and polaris machines and just got them last week. I also know that locally every Honda 4 wheeler they are getting for the year was bought and paid for months ago and no more are coming.

Here’s the question, should I be asking for a discount on this boat being that it’s brand new and I’m paying cash up front, no loan? My wife is pretty angry at me at the moment because I didn’t try to negotiate with the guy before he wrote me up a quote. (I bet you weren’t expecting a marriage/disagreement thread right?).

I think that given the shortages, rising costs, supply issues I should pay and move on. My wife is dead set on asking for a discount. I guess I don’t mind asking but I’m thinking it’s going to be a hard no.

Anybody in the vehicle sales game?

KsRancher

WKR
Not sure about your area. But stuff around my area will sell. Negotiations are not even given a thought by the seller. They will just wait 15 minutes for another phone call and sell it to them for their asking price.

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Not sure about your area. But stuff around my area will sell. Negotiations are not even given a thought by the seller. They will just wait 15 minutes for another phone call and sell it to them for their asking price.

That’s what I’ve been thinking.

Marble

WKR
I always negotiate.

If you talk to a few different dealers you'll get an idea of what is the fairest price.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Rich M

WKR
Cant hurt to ask. Tell him youre doing a favor paying cash and ser if you can get $5k off.

I bought and ordered in feb 2020, saw boat in June 2020 and they had closed the place down due to covid.

Bird in hand.;)

Seth

WKR
The dealer will probably make more money if the purchase is financed. May get a better deal to finance it and pay it off a month or 2 later, just make sure there isn't an early payoff charge.
This is absolutely correct. Some dealers make as much or more on the back end of the deal as they do the sale itself. That’s why you get sent to the F&I manager at most dealers after you’ve agreed to a price. There is no “favor” to the dealer for paying cash as they make money on setting up and selling the loan, as well as warranties, etc.

Evol

Lil-Rokslider
This is absolutely correct. Some dealers make as much or more on the back end of the deal as they do the sale itself. That’s why you get sent to the F&I manager at most dealers after you’ve agreed to a price. There is no “favor” to the dealer for paying cash as they make money on setting up and selling the loan, as well as warranties, etc.
When we bought our RV I asked for a cash discount and he said he'd charge more because they make $$ on the loan as well.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Negotiating is all about the supply and demand, and how badly you want/need an item. The best time to buy stuff is when you don't NEED it. If you need it, and the dealer senses that......he's got you over the barrel regardless what the market is doing. In this environment he's got you over the barrel twice......you need/want it, and so does everyone else. So he doesn't have to budge. But if it were me, I'd wait and see how the next year pans out. With all that's going on with our economy and geopolitical turbulence, we might see some good deals coming up.

Tod osier

WKR
My thought runs along with what other have said, at this point you are not getting anything given that you have discussed price already and the current state of inventory of everything recreational - unless you are 100% willing to loose the boat. Given the supply issues, you could call other dealers around the state (if there are other dealers) or out of state and see if there is any inventory of the boat you want.

On marriage advice, tell your woman to mind her business and just be glad you might take her in the boat and let her clean the fish or pack moose.

i was trying to find a jet for a friend in haines,no luck.
i would say ,no harm in asking but you know how it is here in ak,
ya snooze you loose

Russp17

WKR
When I went to buy my telluride I tried negotiating. Answer was you want it or not? If not it will likely sell to the next guy...

The local boat dealers in my area (South La), will just about give a boat away because there are plenty on the lot, but you're not getting a motor with it. Outboard motors are like hen's teeth, and H4350. Good luck finding one, and expect to pay premium if you do.

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
The is everybody, I asked the dealer today because I promised my wife I’d at least ask. The answer was a hard no just as I’d thought. It’s all good I asked so I’m not in the dog house lol.

Ask for a free hat and some stickers! That’s about all your getting. Buy it and move on!

Tell her I’ll buy gas and we can go hunting!

Tell us what you got!

Clarktar

WKR
Keep kicking your feet Thinhorn and that boat will be bye-bye!
I'll be buying it tomorrow.

Then I will relist it for a 74% increase, just like a SWFA WTS listing!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk