barefoot running

so last night i started my transition to the whole barefoot running thing with the minimus shoes. too say the least im a little sore today. hoping it doesnt continue too long.

Hardstalk

WKR
Ftf. Without being judgmental or sounding too ignorant may i ask the purpose of this? I looked the shoes up online is this a new concept.? Just curious of benefits and purpose.

OP
fillthefreezer
as i understand it, it forces your feet and legs to revert to their natural function of providing cushion and stability that weve come to expect from shoes. its also suppose to aleviate some of the aches and paines you might associate with your runs and hikes once your regimen is set. or so im told...

Hardstalk

WKR
Backpack hunter how long have you been using these and have you noticed effects? Good or bad? Logic seems correct.

Lukem

WKR
It'll be hugely variable by person. One might have virtually no transition time, another may never be able to make the switch, like the other thread says. It wasn't too difficult for me, ran 6 on the first run, and 8 the next. I was a little sore, but no lasting ill effects. Although, I did run several thousand miles in track spikes in college, so I might be a bad example. That said, take it easy and most of all, listen to your body, it'll tell you what to do.

as i understand it, it forces your feet and legs to revert to their natural function of providing cushion and stability that weve come to expect from shoes. its also suppose to aleviate some of the aches and paines you might associate with your runs and hikes once your regimen is set. or so im told...

Another way to think about this: you're now trying to change (insert your age) years of walking/running with supportive and cushioned shoes. Your feet are accustomed to this, not being unshod. I've seen more carnage by runners switching to minimal footwear than success stories.

Last edited:

Chuffness

FNG
Scouted for some elk today at 9k feet with my vibrams. They work my feet real good. It's taking me over a year to get to this point but I love em. It's taken this long cause I've had real issues with legs/knees/ankles for a long time. I literally have not ran since I was sixteen. This is the first year I have ran a mile since I had to do it In High school. 16 years ago. But since I've started using them I've been able to do a lot more.... I was able to tag out on a deer this year wearing them. Now I'm working on elk..

Jager

WKR
+1 on the minimalist footwear. I have had 1 knee reconstruction and know the other is due. When the weather permits, read, not cold, I try and hunt barefoot, really alleviates the knee pain.

OP
fillthefreezer
+1 on the minimalist footwear. I have had 1 knee reconstruction and know the other is due. When the weather permits, read, not cold, I try and hunt barefoot, really alleviates the knee pain.

iv had 3 on 1 knee so these are the results im hoping for.
took last night off, will go at it again tonight and hopefully sat AM

Jager

WKR
Hopefully you have some success FTF, I am sure it will be an improvement. I have been wearing Nike free run's and they are pretty comfortable.

Jager

WKR
lol Try it a few afternoons a week Ryan, preferrably on gravel, it is amazing how fast your feet adapt.

armyjoe

Super Moderator
Starting using these shoes a few years back and it has helped all the way around for me. My runs became faster and my foot/ankle support has improved.

Trout bum

Lil-Rokslider
New Balance minimus and Luna sandals have been a game changer for me. Stronger ankles and no more knee pain. Had an acl/mcl/meniscus tear 15 years ago. Reconstruction was good and the minimalist shoe thing has really helped for all runs particularly long runs. FTF, during the transition I would recommend "easy does it". Listen to your body.

This footwear forces you to run efficiently and as you were intended to run. Trail running is a blast again. I've been using both for 14 months or so. Good choice IMHO.

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I started my elk hunt this year in lowa tibets but after a summer of vibrams and inov8 trail runners they were too much. I switched to trail runners.

yqe5a8e6.jpg

Neoprene socks work great for wet days.

swat8888

WKR
Anyone have any good non-biased articles on the true benefits/detriments to barefoot running/walking/hunting/whatever. I hear all the stuff about it being more natural etc. etc. but I just get the feeling I'm getting sucked into another bit of marketing genius instead of real science to back-up the barefoot concept. If there are any such articles or studies out there I'd love to get the links to check them out.

There hasn't been an decisive studies that show it's 'good' or 'bad' for you. The main goal in switching to a minimal type of footweat is to help change the way you run, to land more forefoot/midfoot. This can be done in any type of shoe, though the manufacturers lead you to believe you need to purchase their shoes to be injury free and run better. It's a fallacy. Work on posture, lean, cadence, and mid-foot strike. That can (though there's no evidence it will) lead to less injuries. The goal is to be light on your feet, not overstride or understride, but to find that happy balance in your running form.

It's best to use common sense, if running in a shoe that you could fold up and put in your pocket with no cushion makes sense to you, then try, though ease into.

I work in the running shoe world and we explain to customers that barefoot shoes are a training tool, not a dedicated running shoe. Minimal shoes can be used as regular trainers -i would define that as a shoe with some structure, a 4mm heel to toe drop, and some cushioning. Vibram (barefoot)vs Saucony Kinvara (minimal).