Barbed Broadheads?

arcticpig

FNG
What's everyone's opinion on Barb's broadheads? Are they good for anything? I tried ram cats, the barbed ones, and when I shoot them the blade comes loose and actually sways up. I don't know if it was meant to do that but I don't see the benefits.

Technically we're throwing sharp razor blades at an animal and then also trying to say we don't want to hurt it. I do understand we make bad shots and a lot of us are animal lovers. I'm just trying to think of both sides. I'm an animal lover and I'm coming from I would want the animal to be able to get the broadhead out so I'm leaning towards not shooting barbed.

So my question is are there actually any benefits or is it just hurting the animal if we get a bad shot not being able to get the arrow out. Or is that just a lie and the arrow can come out either way?

I don't see a benefit, especially if you are looking to get a pass through.

Idk much about em tho

Marble

WKR
I can't see using them for anything like elk or deer. I won't use heads that are built with razor blade type material either.

I want a blade that starts out razor sharp, stays sharp through the animal, is much less likely to break when hitting bone and can be reused.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Any fixed blade broadhead will stay in the animal. Barbed or not. Lodged in a bone? Staying, in the chest cavity? Staying. There is no way that broadhead is coming out unless it’s cut out. Once it’s in and the arrow breaks off it’s in there for good. Tissue moves and the broadhead moves around. It’s not going to line back up with the exact hole and slide out. I started shooting the quad exodus swept which is considered a barbed broadhead. I think it’s funny because the regular exodus could actually be considered barbed as well since it goes over the arrow shaft and there is a gap between the blades and arrow shaft. This would cause tissue to be trapped there and the broadhead blades could easily lodge there.

Bump79

WKR
Exodus Swept 125 is a fantastic head. I don't worry about their ability to be able to pull out, but idk if it's a real issue.

Illegal here is ND. The theory is arrow can work its way out on a non-lethal hit. Animal has a chance at recovery.

Ho5tile1

WKR
Once it’s in there and the arrow breaks off I’m with above it’s not coming out no matter where it is. I also think any head barbed or not can be pulled out if the arrow did not break and say it gets caught on something as the animal is running the question is how much more damage does it do coming out? My iron will heads are not barbed but the back of the head is also sharp so if it is pulled out it’s gonna be cutting on the way out. All that to say o don’t think it matters shoot what you want if it’s legal and practice as much as you can and give yourself the best chance at not worrying about it. Have an arrow setup that will get the job done even on a not so great hit like bones etc. with 82 pounds and 29 inch draw since I went to 550 grain 250 spine arrows with iron will single bevel heads I’ve had pass throughs on every animal I’ve shot it zips through like butter no matter where I hit them… good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beendare

WKR
I can't see using them for anything like elk or deer. I won't use heads that are built with razor blade type material either.

I want a blade that starts out razor sharp, stays sharp through the animal, is much less likely to break when hitting bone and can be reused.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

^ Yep, Agreed.

As a meat processor that has seen my fair share in broadhead , rifle, and muzzleloader wounds I have my definitive opinions. The only broadhead that I have seen evidence or the first hand story of coming back out with the broadhead intact is mechanicals. Nothing against them personally and they have certainly helped recover a lot of animals for hunters on marginal shots just due to their wide and devastating wounds.

I will continue to use fixed blades as I have for over 30 years now. If I have a marginal shot then I want that broadhead to stay in that animal to hopefully cause more damage and expire quickly and for me to recover it. My goal overall, as is everyone else’s, is to have a quality shot in the vitals and a pass through.

Beendare

WKR
I think Barbed BH's are illegal in most States, Right?

Years ago many Bowhunters wanted their BH to stay in the animal- supposedly to keep cutting. They thought it was better, which is not the best in my experience.

Now, I think most realize this is a bad idea. Having an arrow stuck in them just pushes them a further distance.