Banff vs Glacier

Jmort1754

WKR
Going to take the family on a late summer trip this year, we have passports.

Anyone input on either of these destinations? I know Glacier can be a nut house so if someone has other input on areas to visit we are open.

ljalberta

WKR
Never been to glacier, but Banff is a zoo in the summer. Pretty place though. I much prefer Jasper. It’s also busy in the summer, but the numbers aren’t as bad. A little more rustic I suppose.

Johnny Tyndall

Lil-Rokslider
Jasper. Glacier is a cluster. Trying to figure out how to camp there is at least as complicated as most draws. There's basically only one road through the park and the shuttle doesn't work as well as it should. Canada has bigger mountains, way more of them, and the campgrounds are nicer.

ljalberta

WKR
The downside about the campgrounds in Jasper, is they hacked and slashes away 98% of the trees in the biggest campgrounds. They used to be gorgeous, more private stalls. Some feel like a parking lot now.

But chronic park mismanagement is a thing in Canada.

UpNorth89

Lil-Rokslider
I went to Glacier last year the week after labor day and it was nuts. Nowhere to park hardly or to get any privacy. Even many miles back in on the trails you can't go more than a couple minutes without running into someone. Beautiful country though. Saw some grizzlies, goats and sheep.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Went to Glacier last spring and it was great. No issues parking at any of the turnouts or trail heads. Didn't see anything other than deer though. Next time I go that way it will be to the Canadian side.

Backcountry_Preacher

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
We went to Glacier last summer and loved it. It does get crowded on the road to the sun, but there are plenty of places you can go to get away from folks.

The Grinnell Glacier Trail was probably our favorite. IMG_1538.jpeg
img_1578-jpeg.673496
IMG_4259.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1578.jpeg
    IMG_1578.jpeg
    569.9 KB · Views: 197

Luke S

Lil-Rokslider
Both are nice. But Banff and Jasper are prettier and you can probably get away from crowds easier.

bozeman

WKR
Glacier was one of the best trips we have taken to any national park. Get in early, get on the trails....wasnt as crowded as I expected it to be. gorgeous views!!!!!!!!!!

Banff truly is amazing! I've been all over Glacier in the "Good Ole Days" pre Plandemic and it's a fantastic place, but Banff and Jasper have it beat.

Just plan on spending a whack of cash on food and lodging !

elkguide

WKR
Glacier is from my point of view the premier national park in the US. Since covid and everyone's desire to get back to nature, it's a real zoo trying to get through all of the traffic on foot and in vehicle.

With that said, Banf, Jasper would get my vote even with the Canadian rip-off taxes and prices in general.