Ballistic rangefinders

Looking to part with my kilo abs 2400 and upgrade to something that calculates angle into the formula, or something that will give me a “shoot to” range instead of just a line of sight range. Now that the new sig and revic have been out for a little while, what’s the preferred rangefinder for you long range hunters/shooters?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bmart2622

WKR
Im looking to get a rangefinder with abs as well, I wasnt aware that the Sig didnt do angle compensation

That model has it. Called AMR:

AMR™​

Ranging technology uses an on-board inclinometer that reads incline/decline angle and modifies the effective ballistic shooting range to the target. AMR is the equivalent horizontal range and integrates perfectly when used in combination with SIG Ballistic Turret Dials.

wayno945

FNG
Rangefinding binos are the way to go. I have the Leicas paired with my Kestrel. Works great.

OP
SneakyThunderCat
The 2400 has AMR mode, but will not give you ballistic data one that mode. Only on Line of Sight mode. The past two critters I have shot, incline has come into play and the bullet has hit high. Lucky both were kill shots, but I don’t want to keep pressing my luck. My buddy has one of those older Gunwerks rangefinders that give an actual distance and a shoot to distance that factors in angle, but it’s a bit too big for my liking.

ID_Matt

WKR
The 2400 has AMR mode, but will not give you ballistic data one that mode. Only on Line of Sight mode. The past two critters I have shot, incline has come into play and the bullet has hit high. Lucky both were kill shots, but I don’t want to keep pressing my luck. My buddy has one of those older Gunwerks rangefinders that give an actual distance and a shoot to distance that factors in angle, but it’s a bit too big for my liking.

What dope did you use? Were you plugging the LOS yardage in to another app or something? The solution on the rangefinder should account for the angle.

OP
SneakyThunderCat
What dope did you use? Were you plugging the LOS yardage in to another app or something? The solution on the rangefinder should account for the angle.

0224a95225d9a6715d7cb208846e3828.jpg

Here’s a screenshot of my bullet data that I plugged into the rangefinder. The Sig will give me LOS data, and an MOA adjustment based on range. The rangefinder will show the incline of the shot, but it does not factor it into the shooting solution. A buddy and I were ranging a rock yesterday, my sig ranged 1308 yards and showed the degree of incline, and his br2500 ranged 1308 but gave him a “shoot to” distance of 1149.

ID_Matt

WKR
I posted a similar thread on this a few weeks back. The rangefinder most definitely should be giving you the firing solution based on the LOS and angle. It does factor it in to the solution. You should not have to worry about the "shoot to" range. If you are hitting high, it is most likely another error.

I was confused as well why my rangefinder was giving different ranges than my buddies - mine was giving LOS w/ angle, and then the solution. His was set up on the AMR mode because he uses a dope chart. Read through this thread from a few weeks ago and it should make more sense.

OP
SneakyThunderCat
I posted a similar thread on this a few weeks back. The rangefinder most definitely should be giving you the firing solution based on the LOS and angle. It does factor it in to the solution. You should not have to worry about the "shoot to" range. If you are hitting high, it is most likely another error.

I was confused as well why my rangefinder was giving different ranges than my buddies - mine was giving LOS w/ angle, and then the solution. His was set up on the AMR mode because he uses a dope chart. Read through this thread from a few weeks ago and it should make more sense.

Seems you are using one of the newer sig rangefinders. My abs 2400 does not have some of the modes you are talking about, just AMR (without ballistic solutions) and LOS (with ballistic solutions). Also I do not have a kestrel to reference the rangefinder data with. There doesn’t seem to be much info out there about the incline being stuck in the shooting solution, and the kilo 2400 manual makes it sound like it does not account for incline. If it actually does factor it in, than I must have something else wrong if I’m hitting high. I live in flatland Iowa so I can’t really test it by shooting a steep incline or decline. I’m just basing this thread off of two critters I’ve shot where incline came into play, and the bullet hit high when it shouldn’t of.

svivian

WKR
Not the answer you were probably looking for but I would get a Kestrel elite 5700 with Applied ballistics instead and buy a quality rangefinder without ballistics.

Just my .02

OP
SneakyThunderCat
Not the answer you were probably looking for but I would get a Kestrel elite 5700 with Applied ballistics instead and buy a quality rangefinder without ballistics.

Just my .02

Thanks sviv, I used to have that combo, and while it’s a good setup, I personally prefer an abs rangefinder.

OP
SneakyThunderCat
I called sig and they said it does not figure incline in the shooting solution in the LOS mode. In order to account for incline, I would need to run it in AMR mode, along with a custom sig turret with my bullet data. Still wondering about other rangefinders if anyone wants to chime in with their experience.

I called sig and they said it does not figure incline in the shooting solution in the LOS mode. In order to account for incline, I would need to run it in AMR mode, along with a custom sig turret with my bullet data. Still wondering about other rangefinders if anyone wants to chime in with their experience.

Yeah I bought my sig 2400 last year and use it in AMR mode with the BDX app. It's been dead on at -22 degrees and other various angles out to 725yds for me.

mcdil

FNG
SneakyThunderCat,
I think it only does ballistic solutions in the distance-uncompensated mode because it is accounting for everything, to include angle. It needs to know the actual distance for time of flight, wind, etc. Using a compensated distance in that mode doesn't make sense. I'd also utilize either MOA or MIL dials, not custom bullet solutions for your turrets. That said, I just recently went with the Vortex Fury HD 5000 AB for a range finding/bino combo. So far, I have nothing but absolutely outstanding things to say about the bino quality as well as the range finding and ballistic solution software and wind interface.

Gila

WKR
Yeah I bought my sig 2400 last year and use it in AMR mode with the BDX app. It's been dead on at -22 degrees and other various angles out to 725yds for me.
I have 1800BDX....what he said. Trued up the BDX app with dope and Strelok Pro. All I did to true it up reallly was change MV about 10FPS. Last time out shot the target at 540 yards about 250 feet above the firing line. Right on the money! I really like to hunt with it. Hang it around my neck and it fits in my palm just right. Lase the target, twist or hold and send the round. Quick and easy.

svivian

WKR
Thanks sviv, I used to have that combo, and while it’s a good setup, I personally prefer an abs rangefinder.

If that is the case I would go with a the Revic that Doug recommended above. I actually use the revic app and find it very accurate after my buddy showed me his Revic rangefinder. He used it on a bull this year at 923 yards.

With that said we still true our ballistic profiles with the Kestrel.