bag/liner/pad setup question

Putting together a sleep system for some upcoming hunts, which will all be first for me regarding out of state hunts and backpacking in vs. hotels and houses. 2 different hunts that come up first will be mid/end Sept. mountain goat hunt on Kodiak island as well as Oct 1-7 Idaho elk hunt in the backcountry. Will be planning a few more Alaska hunts in the near future as well some DIY Montana/Wyoming/Idaho hunts. I've been slowly accumulating gear for these hunts as well as future backpack hunts. Next up is a sleep system minus a tent as those are going to be provided for these next couple hunts.

Here is was I am thinking:

EE apex synthetic quilt rated for 20 degrees.
Sea to Summit reactor line fleece liner (med or heavyweight)
thermarest Xtherm pad or a exped dura 8r

I tend to sleep a little on the colder side, so extra warmth is a positive for me. I like the idea of the savings of a quilt or a bag and have no preference for either in a hunting scenario as I've again had no experience in this area. Synthetic is the route I think I want to go based on needing it in Kodiak and not experiencing moisture management yet. The quilt and liner give me flexibility to manage a wider range of temps and situations, I think.

Please give me some feedback on this, am I thinking logically or not?

I’m not a quilt guy - always been in sleeping bags my whole life, so I’m partial to that.

I’d weigh quilt and sleeping bag to see what trade off is.

In perfect world a quilt is good when ya know there’s no chance of temp drop, but when there is, you’ll need a bag.

X Therm for sure.

I’ve used liners here and there. But again. If you add a liner, then what’s quilt + liner weight compared with just bag

I have bags that range from 40 to -20 and I make weather call before heading up the mtn

I’ve done Wyoming hunts (same sept to Oct range) that one year it could be teens at night and the next year there’s no frost (doesn’t hit freezing).

I’d run both if I were you if you are set on quilt.

But also think about this. What if X therm pops and now ya don’t have underside insulation? That’s where a bag would do ya better. But we can always “what if” ourselves to death

Correct call in wet enviro on synthetic (although technology nowadays with protection of down - coating outside shell and coating on down itself).

You are headed in right direction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't get too hung on up on down vs synthetic.

No issues with my WM Antelope on multiple AK hunts including Kodiak. No issues with my WM MegaLight on 30+ nights in AZ with more rain and humidity than Kodiak had during the same time period.

No experience with a liner but 100% get a quality high R value pad and bag/quilt. If you go with a quilt, make sure that there are no gaps. The wind on Kodiak can be a doozy.

If I was in the OP's shoes, I'd be getting one of these.

I tried the liner with my quilt. That thing is stupid. It does add some warmth but it tangles and is extremely uncomfortable. It was like sleeping with a boa constrictor and not in a fun way.

Poser

WKR
I have almost this exact setup, only difference is a down quilt (also 20 degrees).

I get the reactor out when the temps get real cold and have been comfortable down into some pretty cold temps. I will say be carful adding a bivy as 3 layers will cause some condensation issues.

UncleBone

WKR
The liner sucks, just buy a warmer bag or quilt. Like above post stated, gets all tangled up, and imo, only adds a tiny bit of warmth. Whatever you do, dont go sleeping in your heavy coats etc. Youll wake up in a pool of sweat and you will be very unhappy. youre almost always going to feel cold at first, but give it half an hour and your bag and pad will soak up your body heat. If you gotta pee a lot like me, take a 48 oz nalgene thats different from your water containers, and use it so you dont have to crawl out of your tent every time.

Poser

WKR
I’m a tossed and turn and I haven’t really experienced much of the issue with getting tangled up. They key to using the liner is getting yourself properly situated in it, which does require some effort, especially when you get up to piss, but I find if I take them time to really get my feet all the way to the bottom of the liner and get it pulled up around to my shoulders, I tend to “free float” inside of the bag as I toss and turn. I also do find it adds a notice to even considerable amount of warmth.

2 things I should note here.

1. I’m a very warm sleeper
2. I spend a good bit of time in sleeping bags, easily 60-80 nights per year. I qualify that because sleeping out requires a good bit of practice to get good at it.

swanny

Lil-Rokslider
You aren't quite comparing apples to oranges on those mats. The EXPED Dura series is going to use heavier face fabrics which in turn provides a more durable mat, but it will pack bigger and way more. I'd suggest looking at the Ultra 7R series for the comparison. The one benefit you will see is cost, any size of the Ultra 7R is the same, where Thermarest you'll pay more for a MW or LW mat. In my personal experience, I'd go with a MW or LW, that extra 6" width is worth the slight weight and packed size increase for increased comfort.

UncleBone

WKR
You aren't quite comparing apples to oranges on those mats. The EXPED Dura series is going to use heavier face fabrics which in turn provides a more durable mat, but it will pack bigger and way more. I'd suggest looking at the Ultra 7R series for the comparison. The one benefit you will see is cost, any size of the Ultra 7R is the same, where Thermarest you'll pay more for a MW or LW mat. In my personal experience, I'd go with a MW or LW, that extra 6" width is worth the slight weight and packed size increase for increased comfort.

people also say the EXPED arent as noisy. But I think all the thermarests are still made in USA.