Bag from REI

Corey

FNG
Hey guys, I’ve tried researching as much as I could on this one, Im looking at getting a bag from REI. (Have a gift card to use) and have some picked out.
Will be used for early archery elk out west. My current pad only has an R Vaule of 2.2 which I intend to upgrade eventually.

Trees91

WKR
I have had the magma for a few years now. Slept anywhere from 40s down into the teens last fall. Been a good bag. Packs small and it's pretty light. Sleeping in the teens I wore down pants, down booties and down jacket. Also tossed a hand warmer down by my feet before bed.

*correction- I have the older rei magma 10. 10 is lower limit and I believe comfort rating is closer to 20*

Beendare

WKR
My take;

REI makes some pretty good stuff.

Go with 800 fill down or better. I’ve had and seen a few 650 and under down bags lose their loft fairly quickly ( a couple years or so )

800,850 is a totally different material compared to 650 or even worse 550.

The pad R value is as important as the bag with down since it compresses under you. The Thermarest and Exped pads are the best Ive seen and used.
-

OP
C

Corey

FNG
Thank you. Are there any
My take;

REI makes some pretty good stuff.

Go with 800 fill down or better. I’ve had and seen a few 650 and under down bags lose their loft fairly quickly ( a couple years or so )

800,850 is a totally different material compared to 650 or even worse 550.

The pad R value is as important as the bag with down since it compresses under you. The Thermarest and Exped pads are the best Ive seen and used.
-
Thank you. Are there any on the list youd recommend? The magma?

Colobwhntr

Lil-Rokslider
I just got the magma a couple weeks ago it’s rated at 17 degrees super light less than 2 pounds and compresses very well. I’m coming from an old north face 15 degree bag and I’ve slept in some pretty cold weather (teens) in it and have been very comfy I usually have a bivy also to add some warmth. this Bag seems very well made and is much cheaper than others. I’m excited to use it this fall for sheep.

My wife has the Magma and loves it. With some layers she stays comfortable into the low 20s. She's a cold sleeper like most ladies.

REI is a great outfit and their REI-branded gear is good quality and great value. Key thing is to err on the side of warmth, and to make sure you wear a beanie-hat in your bag at night.

Marble

WKR
I have had the magma for a few years now. Slept anywhere from 40s down into the teens last fall. Been a good bag. Packs small and it's pretty light. Sleeping in the teens I wore down pants, down booties and down jacket. Also tossed a hand warmer down by my feet before bed.

*correction- I have the older rei magma 10. 10 is lower limit and I believe comfort rating is closer to 20*
This is what I have. I like it. My only complaint is I wish it was a little larger. I'm 6'1" 220 with very broad shoulders. So its snug. But still comfy.

But it's warm and weighs around 2 pounds. It's a winner and I'll keep it.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

I have the Magma 10 also which is essentially the same bag as the 15. I really like it a lot. It's a great bag & kept me warm enough to sleep soundly even when temps got down below zero. I combined it with a ThermaRest X Therm pad, Sea to Summit Reactor liner and got off the ground with the Alps Ready Lite Cot.

gelton

WKR
I have had a Marmot Sawtooth rated at 15 degrees and only 650 fill and froze my ass off. Went to the Western Mountaineering Kodiak which is a zero degree and I have enough room to toss and turn.

My hunting partner has a helium though and to compare that to a Sawtooth isn't a fair comparison. It seems to have a ton of loft, and frankly because it's smaller than the Kodiak is likely more efficient, I just like the additional room that the Kodiak provides.

kentuckybowman

Lil-Rokslider
be warned that REI does not support petroleum products and does not even like the bags they sell because they are made from said products.

Be careful with these full on mummy cut bags if you like to be able to move in your sleep. I can’t do them. They look impressive on paper but I prefer the cut of the Nemo and Sea to Summit bags.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I’ve had good luck with marmot bags in the past, my wife uses one currently and it seems pretty good.

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
I've had an 11 degree magma since 2015. It's an awesome bag and held up well with a bunch of use. I've had it out in -5 and didn't freeze.