Bad customer service experience with Montana black and gold

mckayam1

Lil-Rokslider
I recently bought a Montana black and gold lens from an online archery store. I used it for a week and went to clean it, I used a lens cloth and, ended up with three scratches. I contacted b and g online, nothing for almost two weeks. I called and the guy I talked to, although not mean, said it was a lens manufacturer or archery shop problem. I said but it's your product with your name. He says nothing we can do, talk to the other companies. He didn't even care that the product quality was no good, and offered not even a discount. Didn't offer an apology for not emailing me. I mean if I made a product and it didn't perform after a simple cleaning, I'd want to make it right.

I then emailed them again explaining my frustration with the customer service.... And nothing. I wasn't rude, or use any obscenity. Even just some better communication and caring would have been good.

Good customer service trumps all on a product.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Trial153

WKR
Yea you posted this same crap on AT.
Nothing like getting pissed off that someone didnt step up and fix your screw up. Cry me a river.

OP
M

mckayam1

Lil-Rokslider
Hmmm so if someone uses a LENS cloth, to clean a LENS, and the lens scratches, you wouldn't care your product may have a design flaw? Good business model.
Plus you missed most of my point, if you have a customer service form , you should probably answer it. I wouldn't have wrote this if they had written back at least once.
But I'm sure you have never complained about a product though.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Hoh Down

FNG
I've had the exact opposite response from MBG. They've emailed me back twice within minutes literally when I sent in my ascent verdict for service.

3forks

WKR
MBG has always gone above and beyond in regards to any assistance I've ever needed.

Not sure what procedure you used to clean your lens, but it doesn't matter how soft of a cloth you use - even a 'lens cloth', if there's grit on the lens to start, or grit in the cloth, you will scratch it. I always use a soft paint brush to gently remove anything from the lens that might scratch it before I go to using a soft cloth. If the optics are waterproof and I can't find my brush, I'll run them under the faucet to make sure there's nothing that might be abrasive on the lens.
SWAROVSKI OPTIK - How to clean the lenses of your binoculars and spotting scopes - YouTube
Cleaning optic lenses - YouTube
etc...

Thess87

WKR
Yeah surprising to hear I’ve always had outstanding CS from them. That’s a small percentage of why I use there sights.

NDGuy

WKR
Ya they were great to me I talked with two separate people on the phone about which sight and housing to go with. You must have just caught them at a busy time or something.

Their website sucks as it is being rebuilt right now, wonder if the contact form you sent didn't go through?

SWOHTR

WKR
A couple things:

1. If you can't get the name of the manufacturer correct, they may be more inclined to not help you. "Black Gold," not "black and gold." Similar with "Cummins," not "cummings."
2. Is the lens not manufactured by them? If not, ask who makes it, then contact their customer service. If your vehicle came with a Bose sound system and it was defective, it might stand to reason you contact both the auto manufacturer and the sound system manufacturer.
3. How much fingernail did you use while cleaning the lens? Just curious, that might be your problem. Or is the lens cloth too abrasive?

Just things to think about.

Elkhntr08

WKR
This is why I stay away from online Archery shops. That thing could have been a second with a Chinese lense in it. Bet you got a “good deal” on it.

NYSKIER

WKR
Ya they were great to me I talked with two separate people on the phone about which sight and housing to go with. You must have just caught them at a busy time or something.

Their website sucks as it is being rebuilt right now, wonder if the contact form you sent didn't go through?

I spoke with the on the phone regarding an extra pin for my sight and they were great. I'm going to second that they didn't get the email because of the remodeling of their site.

robie

WKR
3. How much fingernail did you use while cleaning the lens? Just curious, that might be your problem. Or is the lens cloth too abrasive?

Just things to think about.

Classic.

I'm sure the CS guy that got the email just had a good laugh and forgot to reply with "Next time don't use a dirty cloth".

Tilzbow

WKR
For Black Gold to tell the OP to contact the lens manufacturer is totally ridiculous, if that really happened. If it truly took them two weeks to respond that’s not good either but I would’ve picked up the phone and called. For the other poster to try to make the analogy that a car manufacturer would direct someone to Bose to have their sound system fixed is also ridiculous. I’d be all over GM if they tried that with me on my new truck. I’ve got 25 years in manufacturing and there’s no way we’d get away with directing our customers to our suppliers when something went wrong with our product. At the end of the day it’s our product and we select and manage the suppliers. All that said, a lens will get scratched if not cleaned properly.

LDJ

FNG
Montana Black Gold has the best customer service in the industry. I think you may have bought from a knockoff company called "Montana Black and Gold" based in China. I dont think it was a typo you wrote the company name twice. And, it would be your fault for scratching the lens. There is no telling what was on that cloth.

HookUp

WKR
Have been on the phone with them multiple times, a great company. how many forums do you need to post your rants on?

Trial153

WKR
Have been on the phone with them multiple times, a great company. how many forums do you need to post your rants on?
yea as soon as i see people posting the same bashing post on multiple forums i become suspicious.

SWOHTR

WKR
For Black Gold to tell the OP to contact the lens manufacturer is totally ridiculous, if that really happened. If it truly took them two weeks to respond that’s not good either but I would’ve picked up the phone and called. For the other poster to try to make the analogy that a car manufacturer would direct someone to Bose to have their sound system fixed is also ridiculous. I’d be all over GM if they tried that with me on my new truck. I’ve got 25 years in manufacturing and there’s no way we’d get away with directing our customers to our suppliers when something went wrong with our product. At the end of the day it’s our product and we select and manage the suppliers. All that said, a lens will get scratched if not cleaned properly.

My apologies for recommending another solution...? I see both sides of it. If I were him I would contact both manufacturers, but maybe that’s something that doesn’t work. I wouldn’t know for sure though, I don’t have 25 years of manufacturing experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk