Backyard barrel / cube sauna?

IH8Cali

Lil-Rokslider
We have an Almost Heaven, bought through Home Depot of all places and got the military discount on top of an already absurd markdown. We use it 5 or 6 days a week, love it.
There's a company out there called Redwood Outdoors, total frauds, dropped ship scrap wood glued together from China. Horrible experience.

OP

3forks

WKR
We have an Almost Heaven, bought through Home Depot of all places and got the military discount on top of an already absurd markdown. We use it 5 or 6 days a week, love it.
There's a company out there called Redwood Outdoors, total frauds, dropped ship scrap wood glued together from China. Horrible experience.
Thanks for the info. Redwood Outdoors was on the list to look at.

yoopshoot

Lil-Rokslider
I’m from Ishpeming as well. Funny to see the name of ole Ish on Rokslide lol. Being a born and bred Yooper- I suspect the desire for a sauna won’t go away . I have used barrel saunas and home built. Both have their place but I prefer a home built with a little character.

PS- does she say Sow-na, or Saw-na?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Loper

WKR
A buddy of mine had an aluminum sided shed in his back yard and converted half of it to a sauna. He sealed it up, installed cedar along the walls and and bought a sauna heater off eBay or Craigslist. When I heard he was planning to do it I thought it was a joke. I was actually surprised how well it turned out. It’s not very big, but he didn’t need it to be. It maybe fits three people. The funny thing is, he lives in Florida. He could have just bought a ladder to climb up to his attic if he wanted to sweat in 130 degree temperatures for half the year.

Last edited:
OP

3forks

WKR
I’m from Ishpeming as well. Funny to see the name of ole Ish on Rokslide lol. Being a born and bred Yooper- I suspect the desire for a sauna won’t go away . I have used barrel saunas and home built. Both have their place but I prefer a home built with a little character.

PS- does she say Sow-na, or Saw-na?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
She calls it a Sow-na, but I call it Saw-na to irritate her.

Glad to see so many Yoopers on Rokslide.

I‘ve never lived anywhere other than Colorado and Montana, but was surprised how much I liked the UP. The people are great, and I’ve always enjoyed the time I’ve spent there.

OP

3forks

WKR
A buddy of mine had an aluminum sided shed in his back yard and converted half of it to a sauna. He sealed it up, installed cedar along the walls and and bought a sauna heater off eBay or Craigslist. When I heard he was planning to do it I thought it was a joke. I was actually surprised how well it turned out. It’s not very big, but he didn’t need it to be. It maybe fits three people. The funny thing is, he lives in Florida. He could have just bought a ladder to climb up to his attic if he wanted to sweat in 130 degree temperatures for half the year.
A sauna in Florida? Huh.

Anyway, in my research I’ve seen a lot of people recommending building them and other guys on here have chimed in on that as well.

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
Do these barrel kits actually last outside in all weather? Like getting feet of snow in the winter? Seems like they would fail quickly…

Norm555

WKR
I’d love to build a sauna if I ever have the room someday. I say go for it, bonus points if you keep the wife happy too.

seww

WKR
I don't care for the barrel saunas, due to the leaning walls so you can never sit up straight. At least the one I was in I couldn't. Really disliked the design.

I've met a guy on here that lives in town, who works or worked in construction. We're going to draw up an outdoor sauna for me soon and build it from scratch. It's going to be a woodburning stove in it, and probably between 1-200 sq ft as that's the limit for a permission free build in my town.
Will have a small dressing room, then a sauna with the top bench being at least 6ft (2m) so one can lie down comfortably. Good ventilation is key to have lots of fresh air coming through. Insulation is not necessary, even in the cold, as it will heat up fairly quickly.
I think you'd want about 110cm from the ceiling to the top bench, I read that somewhere. A bottom bench for the kid and the less cool guys :)

She calls it a Sow-na, but I call it Saw-na to irritate her.

Glad to see so many Yoopers on Rokslide.

I‘ve never lived anywhere other than Colorado and Montana, but was surprised how much I liked the UP. The people are great, and I’ve always enjoyed the time I’ve spent there.
my wife, from CO, still gives a puzzled reaction when she hears me say sauna.

bbell

WKR
Tried out a Finnish sauna for the first time a couple weeks ago. It was amazing. It was 85*C so I think about 185*F. I would put one up in the back in a heart beat if I had the extra cash lying around.

seww

WKR

Finnish "rapper" singing in Swedish about being the sauna king.

Gotta edit, no real finn or swede sauna with clothes or towels.
Another edit, during Spring it's common to gather some birch branches to keep in the sauna. They gotta be picked right as the leaves come in, then they won't come off so easy. You keep them in a barrel of water and then whip yourself with them to clean off. Very old school and traditional. The leaves and water makes the sauna smell very good!

SWOHTR

WKR
I’d be curious to hear how those who say “sow na” say “fauna” or “Auburn.”

“Man this landscape in Owe-burn has some neat foe-na.”

Colterw

FNG
I’d be curious to hear how those who say “sow na” say “fauna” or “Auburn.”

“Man this landscape in Owe-burn has some neat foe-na.”
My argument is that sauna is a Finnish word. In Finnish there are no silent letters.

We say tor-tee-a, not tor-tilla. There are plenty of examples of foreign words used in daily speech with the correct native pronunciation. So why can't sauna be pronounced the way the Finns say it?

SWOHTR

WKR
My argument is that sauna is a Finnish word. In Finnish there are no silent letters.

We say tor-tee-a, not tor-tilla. There are plenty of examples of foreign words used in daily speech with the correct native pronunciation. So why can't sauna be pronounced the way the Finns say it?

Just the first time I’ve seen/heard it said that way. Pardon my ignorance!

Cady Creek

Lil-Rokslider
I've had a Keweenaw Barrel Sauna for six years. Built in the UP in Chassel, Mi. (yes, native Yooper here too) I have zero complaints and zero regrets. Growing up with the traditional stick built type sauna's I was optimistic, but they really are great. They heat quick, with the right wood, look great, and can be portable. Have seen plenty placed on a trailer as well. Limited maintenance is a plus also. Mine gets used year round, quite frequently. The convenience of quick heating is the game changer. If it took awhile like a traditional sauna, it's use would be greatly limited. And an electric or IR unit isn't worth talking about over wood fired.

Attachments

• Sauna.jpg
    Sauna.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 15
  • Sowna.jpg
    Sowna.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 15
  • Inside.jpg
    Inside.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 15