Backpacking Tents

Cahogan

FNG
What are some recomendations on good tents for backpacking that don't break the bank? I am looking for a tent for 2 people.

OP
C

Cahogan

FNG
Do you have a budget in mind? People in the backpacking and elk hunting community have widely different opinions on what “breaking the bank” means 😂
Haha well that is a good point and honestly I am not sure. I would say a couple hundred bucks and willing to go a little more if needed.

TSAMP

WKR
I can reccomend who not to use. As i was in your situation a couple weeks ago. DO NOT choose Luxe shelters. They seem attractive at the price point but it won't be worth the headache. Mine arrived with holes in it and they told me to patch it and are refusing to accept a return.

mlgc20

WKR
My advice would be something from Big Agnes. Buy, the best tent your budget can afford. I have had several of their tents at various price points and never been disappointed. Another good option would be Tarptent.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Might I propose you consider this
Seek Outside Eolus

Here is why. Even if you go the nylon route , it is less weight than a standard MSR Hubba by about 1 lb. It handles weather better than any of the light / framed tents. You can use it with or without the inner. If you just need a tarp, well it's a tarp. It also sleeps people in the 6'5" well. There is a review in eastmans hunting journals from maybe March
Thanks
Kevin

ColtyJr

Lil-Rokslider
My advice would be something from Big Agnes. Buy, the best tent your budget can afford. I have had several of their tents at various price points and never been disappointed. Another good option would be Tarptent.
I also have had good luck with Big Agnes equipment
Might I propose you consider this
Seek Outside Eolus

Here is why. Even if you go the nylon route , it is less weight than a standard MSR Hubba by about 1 lb. It handles weather better than any of the light / framed tents. You can use it with or without the inner. If you just need a tarp, well it's a tarp. It also sleeps people in the 6'5" well. There is a review in eastmans hunting journals from maybe March
Thanks
Kevin

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I was looking at the Eolus, I just don't see how it would vent up top.
It vents at the bottom. I know , it does not seem logical but it vents extremely well. Likely has less condensation when paired with the inner than most double wall tents. We let testing be our guide really.

I have done a lot of testing on condensation and venting, and while one at the top can help a small amount in certain instances .. it is far more about the bottom and an air gap to minimize condensation.

So here is how the Eolus minimizes it when paired with the inner. There is a good air gap at the bottom, especially on the vestibules location. The inner is DWR lower, so it prevents the occupants from feeling breeze for the most part.

The only real drawback when compared to BA or MSR tents, (In fact it is less expensive than the MSR hubba despite being made in the U.S.A ) is that it is NOT free standing. However it sheds wind and weather very well, is very sturdy and condensation is minimal.

Why not a cimmaron? that way later on can add a stove if need be. My wife and I used it last year for archery little condensation but wasn't unbearable and room galor which was nice when we waited out a 8 hour down pour

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
I would prefer a floor

Here is a used Tarptent in the classifieds. Along the same lines as the Eolus with a nest.

If you're good with used check out this one.

Big Agnes is made in China 🇨🇳, if that is a care.
My hunting buddy has the Seek Outside, great tent or tarp when you don’t need the inside.
Like Seek, I believe Tarptents are made in America.

Bearsears

WKR
It vents at the bottom. I know , it does not seem logical but it vents extremely well. Likely has less condensation when paired with the inner than most double wall tents. We let testing be our guide really.

I have done a lot of testing on condensation and venting, and while one at the top can help a small amount in certain instances .. it is far more about the bottom and an air gap to minimize condensation.

So here is how the Eolus minimizes it when paired with the inner. There is a good air gap at the bottom, especially on the vestibules location. The inner is DWR lower, so it prevents the occupants from feeling breeze for the most part.

The only real drawback when compared to BA or MSR tents, (In fact it is less expensive than the MSR hubba despite being made in the U.S.A ) is that it is NOT free standing. However it sheds wind and weather very well, is very sturdy and condensation is minimal.

I have the Eolus and I can say Kevin is being pretty modest here. This thing vents exceptionally well and the portion of the inner that isnt mesh comes up pretty high so you don't feel wind when you are laying down. I usually run it floorless though and if its pitched the right direction wind inst an issue. Ive also pitched during a rain storm when the ground was already wet and an hour or so after the rain let up the interior was free of condensation. I use the nest when my wife is with me because it makes her more comfortable. As far as storm worthiness, I don't see how a regular pole design could even compare. As far as usable space for the weight its huge. For the price the Eolus is a steal and I cant imagine ever running a dome tent again unless it was a Hilliberg for a very specific purpose..

Jauwater

WKR
I recently picked up a REI Flash 2 Tent for under $200, on ebay. You can pick it up new from REI during one of their sales for around $225 before tax. It's really like being under an enclosed tarp. Allows a lot of wind to pass through. You can use your treking poles to set it up. Its right around 2lbs. So far so good.
fcf78697ff2a4f3e2edec14169a40295.jpg

Sent from my SM-S205DL using Tapatalk

Skull10

WKR
I have the Eolus and I can say Kevin is being pretty modest here. This thing vents exceptionally well and the portion of the inner that isnt mesh comes up pretty high so you don't feel wind when you are laying down. I usually run it floorless though and if its pitched the right direction wind inst an issue. Ive also pitched during a rain storm when the ground was already wet and an hour or so after the rain let up the interior was free of condensation. I use the nest when my wife is with me because it makes her more comfortable. As far as storm worthiness, I don't see how a regular pole design could even compare. As far as usable space for the weight its huge. For the price the Eolus is a steal and I cant imagine ever running a dome tent again unless it was a Hilliberg for a very specific purpose..
Bearsears,

I would run it floorless during early archery elk hunting mostly. Do you feel that the Eolus would be a solid performer in wind and rain for that? What would you say the real pack weight is with the shelter, stuff sack, guy lines and 8 stakes? Any feedback, positive or negative would be appreciated. I am really trying to get my complete sleep system weight down a bit this year and a shelter is the last piece. There is a fine line between ultra light and comfort/durability.

Rob5589

WKR
I have a Kelty Salida 2. For the money it seems like a decent tent.
This is what I ended up with when looking to get into backpack hunting on a budget. Good reviews; sets up easily; manages rain well; reasonably light. It does build up some condensation, not horrible but, it's there.

IMO, it's a 1.5 man tent. Plenty of room for an oversized sleeping pad and gear, for a 6'2" dude like myself. You could do two people, on regular sized pads, and less than 6'. It only has on door and vestibule which can be a pita if someone has to get out in the middle of the night.