Backpacking Tents

Bearsears

WKR
Bearsears,

I would run it floorless during early archery elk hunting mostly. Do you feel that the Eolus would be a solid performer in wind and rain for that? What would you say the real pack weight is with the shelter, stuff sack, guy lines and 8 stakes? Any feedback, positive or negative would be appreciated. I am really trying to get my complete sleep system weight down a bit this year and a shelter is the last piece. There is a fine line between ultra light and comfort/durability.
I bought the Eolus for the exact same reason you are wanting it. I ran it floorless for the first two weeks of Archery last year. From my experience I'd say the Eolus is a top performer in wind and rain. It hardly moves in wind because of the tight cut it has. It sheds wind really well especially when you guy it out on the sides. Also it's so big that when I've been in rain with wind I dont get wet at all because I'm so far from the edges. It really is huge for one person.

I just ran downstairs and weighed mine for you. With stuff sack and extra long guylines and 8 stakes it weighed 28oz. Mine is a bit heavy because I have really long guylines on the sides. I like to stake them out at really shallow angles and i have the extra cordage if i need it for something else.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Bearsears

WKR
I forgot to also say that this shelter is definitely no compromise between light or durability and comfort. I encourage you to research Seek Outsides tent material and the type of stitching they use. They make their stuff for harsh conditions and to last a long time. As far as a floorless shelter for archery season I dont know if it gets better for me.

Skull10

WKR
I bought the Eolus for the exact same reason you are wanting it. I ran it floorless for the first two weeks of Archery last year. From my experience I'd say the Eolus is a top performer in wind and rain. It hardly moves in wind because of the tight cut it has. It sheds wind really well especially when you guy it out on the sides. Also it's so big that when I've been in rain with wind I dont get wet at all because I'm so far from the edges. It really is huge for one person.

I just ran downstairs and weighed mine for you. With stuff sack and extra long guylines and 8 stakes it weighed 28oz. Mine is a bit heavy because I have really long guylines on the sides. I like to stake them out at really shallow angles and i have the extra cordage if i need it for something else.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
That's great, thanks so much for weighing it. At 28oz, I can't see a set up being any more light weight, while providing that much space, sturdiness and weather protection. It seems like a 50" interior height is plenty headroom.

Bearsears

WKR
That's great, thanks so much for weighing it. At 28oz, I can't see a set up being any more light weight, while providing that much space, sturdiness and weather protection. It seems like a 50" interior height is plenty headroom.

Yeah unless you order the dcf version. That thing is crazy light but the material is twice the price.

Whatever you get I recommend you get a 3-man tent. Most modern 2-man tents work great for one person and gear, not so much for two actual people.

Big Agnes Copper Spur HV UL3 is a nice tent. Super lightweight for the price. I run the UL2 as a one person tent.

If you need something more weatherproof, used Nallo 3. Can pitch floorless if you want to try it. Pitches with inner already attached, keeping everything dry. Tons of room. Bulletproof enough for feet of snow and 70 mph winds. Used on Everest, etc.

Check this out
I run the 1p version and haven’t found anything I don’t like about it. Can run it floorless or fly less. Sets up in the rain without getting the inner wet.
I have a hubba hubba for when my wife is with and that’s a very solid tent but a bit heavy. I also have a kelty salida 2 that is almost as good as the hubba and for the price savings it’s hard to justify the extra couple hundred dollars.

Floorless is great until you are in a place with rodents, snakes, scorpions, flying insects, etc. Then the nest becomes priceless, not to mention the dryness factor in wet climes. Nothing worse than interior rain from a single wall tent. To each his own.

2014-06-04124620_zps0192d6ca.jpg

turley

Lil-Rokslider
I'd at least look and compare the Dan Durston X-Mid 2P tent to others in consideration. I use the X-Mid 1P and have been really impressed with the ease of setup, quality of construction/attention to detail, and stability.

I run the eolus with a nest. It’s been awesome perfect size for me and my gear and would definitely fit two if needed. And I’m 6’4”. Last September it rained for a day straight and the tent stayed dry and was very little condensation. Best tent I’ve ever had.

Jauwater

WKR
Looks like imma have to pick up one of those Eolus w/ a nest. The specs are just to sweet to pass up. I'm really interested in trying one out. After reading all yalls posts first thing this morning and, doing some research, it's all I've thought about all day. Ugh, another thread I shouldnt have clicked on, haha.

hikenhunt

WKR
Tarptent makes some quality lightweight options. I would look at the square footages of the tents. Some "2-man" tents seem to assume you spooning in order to fit.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Tarptent makes some quality lightweight options. I would look at the square footages of the tents. Some "2-man" tents seem to assume you spooning in order to fit.

In the case of the eolus it is generous and big enough for two 6’5” guys and some gear . We try to be under promise over deliver

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
C

Cahogan

FNG
With some of my research I have come accross REI half dome tents that are resonable price. Any issues with these? Are they a situation where the price is lower so you are not getting much quality?

With some of my research I have come accross REI half dome tents that are resonable price. Any issues with these? Are they a situation where the price is lower so you are not getting much quality?

They are great tents, just heavy. I loved my REI Passage 2 before I became a weight fanatic.

mlgc20

WKR
They are great tents, just heavy. I loved my REI Passage 2 before I became a weight fanatic.

Agree with Mike. Reasonable quality and a reasonable price. Weight is the trade off. Not to go off on a tangent, but it might be worth noting that REI isn’t exactly pro-hunting.

Agree with Mike. Reasonable quality and a reasonable price. Weight is the trade off. Not to go off on a tangent, but it might be worth noting that REI isn’t exactly pro-hunting.

That's true. Idiots at REI think that banning hunting companies from their store stock will stop shootings.

Much worse, Vista (one of the companies they dropped) donates more to conservation in one year than REI has donated in over 40 years in the "outdoors" business. I'm basically over REI.