Backpacking knife set up

Looking for thoughts:
Looking for a new hunting knife set up to carry with me on day hunts and longer backpacking trips. Right now I’m using outdoor edge which works well, but seems to need a lot of blade replacements for big game like elk. I’m in between the benchmade hidden canyon and the steep canyon, and then I’ll probably run the goat knife as a lightweight super sharp option in addition to whatever fixed blade I go with.
Looking for your thoughts and setups
Cheers

I carry a moraknife companion and havalon. Did two bulls last year and used the moraknife for both held a great edge and it’s super cheap if you put it down and lose it..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drenalin

WKR
I really like the Argali Serac. I also like the Kestrel Mountain Caper and Mountain Scalpel though, and that combo is what I usually carry hunting.

Gmr777

Lil-Rokslider
Second the Argali, was between that and a couple benchmades. Went with the Argali and super happy I did. Awesome knife and great family own small business to support.

I use a Benchmade altitude (hangs around my neck) very LW knife and bloody sharp.

Then i actually use a scalpel handle from Amazon that was about 10 bucks. Weighs the same as the Kestrel Mountain Scalpel. But i then put shrink tube around half the handle and made quite a comfortable handle, slip free handle. This is one of the lightest weight replaceable blades i could find and extremely inexpensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

htlt_surfboards

Lil-Rokslider
I have been using the Benchmade hidden canyon since 2015 and think its a great knife. I like the size and weight and haven't felt like Ive needed anything bigger. I carry that one for skinning and most of my field butchering work. The hidden canyon lives in my pack until a critter is down and that's all I use it for. I also carry a Benchmade north fork in my pocket which I use around camp as a basic utility knife and for making initial skinning cuts and popping joints to help save the blade on the hidden canyon some. Ive used this system on deer, elk and bear and haven't had any issues or complaints.

TheHammer

WKR
X3 on an argali. I run the carbon. The other 2 they offer are great options as well, just depends what blade contour you are partial to. The material in this knife stays sharp and is easy to tune the edge in the field if you don’t let it get super dull or abuse it to dull on bone, exc. I believe the harder blades might stay a sharp a few more swipes/cuts but are very difficult to resharpen in the field. Making the argali arguably a consumer favorite.

Last edited:

Trr15

WKR
Benchmade Altitude is solid, so
Is the White River Backpacker. The altitude gets used only for game, but the White River is more multi purpose for me

BarCO

Lil-Rokslider
I really like the Argali Serac. I also like the Kestrel Mountain Caper and Mountain Scalpel though, and that combo is what I usually carry hunting.
Yes, the serac and edc little bug out has me covered

My $0.02. I like sharp pokey things and run a variety of knives but my main ones are:

- Havalon - for field skinning and gutting this gives me the most bang for the buck. My main gripe is that it loses a blade now and then.

- leatherman Wave. Debates rage about whether multi tools are worth carrying. For me they are. I use the saw for cutting pelvises on deer

- heavier knife - I carry a Winkler hunter or a heavy folder on most trips. My folder of choice is a zero tolerance. Like the leatherman, the heavier knife doesn’t get used every trip but it gets used often enough. For animals, it is easier for me to break big joints with a stout blade.

Benchmade Steep Country in the pack, Outdoor Edge in the kill kit and Benchmade Bugout always clipped in my pocket. They all get used in some situations.

Vrybusy

Lil-Rokslider
+1 on the Argali knives. They have been working great over the past couple of years for me. Crazy light and hold and edge very well.

Nick992

Lil-Rokslider
My $0.02. I like sharp pokey things and run a variety of knives but my main ones are:

- Havalon - for field skinning and gutting this gives me the most bang for the buck. My main gripe is that it loses a blade now and then.

- leatherman Wave. Debates rage about whether multi tools are worth carrying. For me they are. I use the saw for cutting pelvises on deer

- heavier knife - I carry a Winkler hunter or a heavy folder on most trips. My folder of choice is a zero tolerance. Like the leatherman, the heavier knife doesn’t get used every trip but it gets used often enough. For animals, it is easier for me to break big joints with a stout blade.
I follow something similar, except:

-No havalon for me, one reviewer broke the tip, slipped, and could have done serious injury in the back country. I still use the outdoor edge. Nothing against havalon, just not worth the risk for me.

-Leather man saw blades are perfect for pelvis.

- My stout knife is a full tang fixed blade of high quality metal that will hold an edge through a debone, of needed

taskswap

WKR
If you like the idea of a replaceable-blade knife but want something more stout take a look at the Havalon Talon. It's not very well marketed so lots of folks don't know Havalon has it. Its blades are much stouter - you'll never break one. And they're much easier to replace, especially once the knife starts getting messy.

There are three different blades you can carry for it that make it work well as a backpacking/hunting knife "system". One has a straight edge with a gut hook and that's what I use most of the time. One has a half-serrated section which is great for things like working around bones and tendons e.g. knee joints. And one is a saw blade.

eoperator

WKR
All of my fancy knives stayed at home this year, I used a $26 5" vicktorinox boning knife with a cardboard and duct tape sheath. Much more comfortable and ergonomic. It took me 20 years and thousands of dollars to figure this out (I'm a slow learner).

16752194756531665781331618223520.jpg

mcseal2

WKR
I had this one built (black/grey scales). After years of trying different knives my favorite hunting knife was a Dozier Pro Guide knife. It never failed me, but I always questioned the toughness of the hollow grind if I needed to abuse it. I had a very similar knife made but in 3V steel with a high saber grind and 90 degree spine.

When I'm not hunting and won't be processing game I usually carry a LT Wright GNS in 3V. I like the blade shape a little better for some camp jobs.

My emergency kit has the Benchmade Altitude or a Gerber Bolt Action Exchange blade in case I lose my primary knife, or want a smaller blade for caping. I like the Altitude a lot better with the scales than the factory version.

Attachments

• lt bullet 2.jpg
    lt bullet 2.jpg
    416.1 KB · Views: 68
  • B5D220D0-836C-40AA-BFEF-4CD7AF942DB3.jpeg
    B5D220D0-836C-40AA-BFEF-4CD7AF942DB3.jpeg
    396 KB · Views: 65

repins05

WKR
It will cost you but the Benchmade RagHorn with CPM cruwear comes in at 3.56oz. The blade outperformed my benchmade saddle mountain with S90V steel. I have been using the saddle mountain for several years. I skinned and quartered an elk with the Raghorn this year and it retained its edge for the duration with only a slight dulling noticed. Very impressed with its edge retention. It is very easy to sharpen as well.

Love the saddle mountain skinner but it would lose its edge skinning an elk and by the end it would be work to finish the job. Skinner moved to my backup.