Backpacking knife set up

I carry an Argali and Havalon. I also have really liked the Rainer Fastpak. For about $100 it’s solid. After looking into some steels, magnacut has my interest.

gostovp

WKR
All of my fancy knives stayed at home this year, I used a $26 5" vicktorinox boning knife with a cardboard and duct tape sheath. Much more comfortable and ergonomic. It took me 20 years and thousands of dollars to figure this out (I'm a slow learner).

View attachment 509916
All of my fancy knives stayed at home this year, I used a $26 5" vicktorinox boning knife with a cardboard and duct tape sheath. Much more comfortable and ergonomic. It took me 20 years and thousands of dollars to figure this out (I'm a slow learner).

View attachment 509916
Did you use this for skinning as well? I could see this being awesome for quartering in the field… just wondering how skinning went? I have a 6” in my kitchen that is one of my favorite knives… I might have to get the 5” for the field

Louro

FNG
5" is the way to go I carry the F-Dick (is the brand, lol), 5" with the orange handle. F-dick is good quality knife used in many butcher shops.

positivepete!

Lil-Rokslider
I carry my everyday pocket knife with a small sharpening tool in my pack for touch ups as well as a tyto. Works well for me and I always have a blade I am used to carrying.

Looking for thoughts:
Looking for a new hunting knife set up to carry with me on day hunts and longer backpacking trips. Right now I’m using outdoor edge which works well, but seems to need a lot of blade replacements for big game like elk. I’m in between the benchmade hidden canyon and the steep canyon, and then I’ll probably run the goat knife as a lightweight super sharp option in addition to whatever fixed blade I go with.
Looking for your thoughts and setups
Cheers
I carry a tyto and benchmade altitude, and a dalstrong shogun paring knife… if I were to ditch one, it would be the altitude. I usually only use it for knife dulling cuts, like hide and tendons to pop joints if I even take it out of my pack. I want to put a new handle on the dalstrong, I absolutely love That knife, it holds an edge almost as well as the altitude and is really easy to bring back when it starts getting dull, I hate trying to sharpen the altitude in the field, especially with dried meat on the blade and stuff… I’m not really impressed by it, it won’t get through an elk sharp and doesn’t sharpen well in that environment.

I would love to see more hunting knives with the blade steel and treat the dalstrong has, it’s the perfect blade steel for a hunting knife, I just need to get a more well suited handle put on it, it’s just not designed for what I use it for.

I can’t dump the tyto though, 2 blades for an elk and have a sharp knife the whole time (certainly some strategy there)

I could get through an elk with the altitude, but it wouldn’t be as sharp as I like

MarlinMark

Lil-Rokslider
Rosie - I have several knives in S30V and S35V and really like them. What about the Altitude in S90V do you think is making it so hard to sharpen? Strictly the nature of S90V as:

"An American steel from Crucible, CPM-S90V is one of the top super steels of today. It features incredible edge retention and wear resistance, and very high corrosion resistance. It is a very expensive steel, and only comes in top of the line knives."

I haven't used and therefore never sharpened S90V. Ideas?

All i take into the woods anymore no matter the scenario is a small Bark River Lil Skinner on my belt. That tiny little knife will do anything and holds an edge through whatever an entire hunting season puts it through.

I stay away from all the newfangled change out blades systems. All of them are cheaply made, throw away knives.

So i guess it comes down to if you want a knife you’ll throw away or a good one that becomes a vital piece of equipment you’ll kid will get.

madtinker

Lil-Rokslider
I carry a moraknife companion and havalon. Did two bulls last year and used the moraknife for both held a great edge and it’s super cheap if you put it down and lose it..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Do they have a U.S. distributor?

OP
OG-danimal
Thanks for the comments everyone. I’ve decided to go with the benchmade steep country and a outdoor edge replaceable blade. Lightweight combo and they both serve a purpose the other can’t.