Backpacking Gear - My list of stuff...

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I posted a thread over on the clothing section around what I use. Thought a list of gear here would tie in...

4L MSR DromLite w/Hydration Kit
Nalgene Canteen
Black Diamond Flick Lock Trekking Poles or Ice Axe
White Suit, a Tea Stained Tyvek suit
Mt Hardwear UltraLamina 15 Degree Bag
Big Agnes Insulated Air Core
Stove: MSR Pocket Rocket w/ Titan Kettle or Jetboil
18" Piece cut of of a Ridge Rest for seat
Spork
Personals Kit
1st Aid Kit
Kill Kit
Rilfe / Bow Kit
Cabela's 12x50 XT Binos (big I know, but I like em...) :)
Vortex Nomad Spotter w/ Slik Tripod
Kifaru Rifle Cover and Gun Bearer
Headlamp
Spot Messenger
Garmin Oregon 450T
Nikon Riflehunter Spotter
Go-Lite brand light weigh tarp (extra rain pro, + place to lay meat on as / if needed)
Small Camera

I utilize a variety of light weight stuff / ditty sacks from OR and Kifaru to organize stuff.
Personals Kit is toiletry items and the like
1st Aid Kit - tailored to the number of days out (must haves include pain meds, benadryl, blister kit, and band-aids)
Kill Kit: Havalon Piranha + blades, Buck Paklite Large, Mixture of T.A.G Bags and Kifaru game bags, 2 pair of plastic gloves, small sharpener, Gerber folding saw, and some para-cord.
Rifle / Bow Kit: Ammo, Arrows, repair items, rag, lens cleaner, etc.

I keep a folder blade and a Gerber Shortcut somewhere on my person (pocket, chest pack, etc)

Debating some sort of chest bino pack, just have not found perfect one yet...

I'm probably forgetting something, but that is my core list.

Last edited:

philw

Lil-Rokslider
Interesting list, I have some of the same items. What do you use the Tyvek suit for?

gil_wy

Lil-Rokslider
2 spotters? Seems like a lot of knives as well... I personally wouldn't take the seat in or the canteen... and add duct tape... Wrap 10-15 feet around something you're already taking in... ALWAYS have duct tape! My toiletry items are large baby wipes and a toothbrush if I remember to take it.... Used to take more but never used it! Gunbearer and cover would be out as well... just strap that sucker on someplace!

OP
Matt W.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
The optics are a must for how / where I hunt. I usedto use 8x32 binos, but like the extra reach of the 12s.....
The tyvek is for stalking sheep. Have yet to use it, but lots of guys swear by em. :)
Bandaids have their use (IMO), but mine are are some leftovers someone gave that are more tape than the normal ones.
I like gun bearer because I see wolves and brown bears...... :)
I like my knives, the havalon is ok, but I like having the others... could cut a few ounces here if i needed to.
I do have duct tape wrapped around my trekking pole and a few inches of electrical tape on my barrel..
Tent: Big Agnes CopperSpur UL3