Backpacking bag vs Hunting Bag - Have my cake and eat it too

hunterjmj

WKR
Check out the Kifaru Kutthroat. Sounds like something that maybe would work for you. The choices these days are endless. I normally hunt with a day pack and pack meat out the following day(s) with a longhunter.

Aaronpaul14

Lil-Rokslider
Do you know if a Kuiu bag will work with a MR guide light mt frame and still have load shelf capabilities?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m sure you could make it work fairly easy.

Just a few lashing straps. I have tried a MR on before but didn’t look close enough at it’s connecting points. Also, didn’t hike or anything with it.

I will tell you the Kuiu suspension/frame is extremely comfortable with weight. Personally I’d just stick to a Kuiu frame if going to get one of their bags. Roughly 4.5#. Can get you a $50 coupon to put you in the $450 range.

Like others have said you can probably make any work it’s just how much work it takes to “work”.

OP
rammin79

rammin79

FNG
I’m sure you could make it work fairly easy.

Just a few lashing straps. I have tried a MR on before but didn’t look close enough at it’s connecting points. Also, didn’t hike or anything with it.

I will tell you the Kuiu suspension/frame is extremely comfortable with weight. Personally I’d just stick to a Kuiu frame if going to get one of their bags. Roughly 4.5#. Can get you a $50 coupon to put you in the $450 range.

Like others have said you can probably make any work it’s just how much work it takes to “work”.

Ok so then now the question is, I like the packs and prices of Kuiu better than Mystery Ranch, but I thought I was settled on the Mystery Ranch Guide Light frame until I have some quite extensive research on Kuiu frames. Seems like they have reviews of handling a load better than the guide lite mt. I have no place to try on either one of them. Looks like I can get a complete setup with Kuiu in my budget with a coupon....any input as to which frame system is better, Kuiu or Mystery Ranch?

ghostrider272

Lil-Rokslider
Have a Kuiu Pro and Ultra suspension, the frame and the Pro LT and Ultra bags. While it doesn't have all of the little items my Gregory Zulu and Baltoro do, I will be using those less and the Kuiu more. You can find items in the Classifieds. Just might take some time to get all of the parts. They also have a pretty good sale around Black Friday.

Ok so then now the question is, I like the packs and prices of Kuiu better than Mystery Ranch, but I thought I was settled on the Mystery Ranch Guide Light frame until I have some quite extensive research on Kuiu frames. Seems like they have reviews of handling a load better than the guide lite mt. I have no place to try on either one of them. Looks like I can get a complete setup with Kuiu in my budget with a coupon....any input as to which frame system is better, Kuiu or Mystery Ranch?
Well mystery ranch is outsourced to phillipines so that should make the decision easy, kuiu is probably Ethiopia. MR hides behind being a montana company but it's a disguise imo. Also I think MR is way behind kuiu in all forms of hunting gear.

I just bought a kuiu but two neighbors recommended horn hunter bags for a cheaper option. I’ve never had any experience with them myself. Ultimately i didn’t want to pay ~$400 on a bag that I was settling for. Buy once cry once

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Granted, I own Seek Outside, so perhaps I have some bias BUT .. this is exactly what we do. Pick a Divide .. 3 lbs .. great for backpacking , same thing is fine for hauling a mule deer , or Pick a Unaweep and Talon or Merlin .. I packed out a mule deer 7 + miles with that combo .. or pick a Lanner and build it on the integrated frame .. all will be sub 4 lbs .. so less weight than most Ospreys .. and all will carry an Elk quarter. The rest of the debate is splitting small feature differences like load shelf, gun carry , bow carry ..etc . they all can get there ..just a little differently.

TFrank

WKR
I ran hyperlite, osprey, kelty, eddie bauer over the years for backpacking. My only legit hunting pack has been a Kuiu (I am not going to count the badlands ones I have as they are pretty much day packs).

As most said, I wouldn't hesitate to get something similar to a Kuiu type hunting bag and using it for all outdoor applications. I am impressed with the Kuiu, but my frame of reference is limited for hunting packs as I haven't tried most of the big brands out there. Plan on running the Kuiu into the ground before I consider buying another pack.

Vandy321

WKR
You'd be missing out on a very quality option not including the Stone Glacier 5900 on your list. Its roughly 5lb total, packs down super small for a day pack and is known for being one of the most comfortable/stable frames for heavy loads (100# +). Almost any pack is comfortable with 30-40# in it...the same can't be said when you load them up over 100#.

Have owned multiple kifaru's and a Exo 4500 as well. For one pack to "do it all" I'd take the SG...it weighs in at nearly half what my smaller Kifaru 44mag did (w/tac frame, some accessory pouches and a Sherman, my 44 mag was 10.5#)

Clovis

Lil-Rokslider
I use a Kifaru bikini frame and Highcamp 7000 bag for both circumstances you describe and recommend it. You can pick one up in the classifieds sometimes. I added a pouch on the hip belt and have the rest of my regular possibles gear in a Kifaru pull-out in the top of the pack.

Titan_Bow

WKR
I'd focus on a hunting brand back with a good reputation and let weight dictate your decision, to a degree. If you know its going to see summer hiking / camping trips most often, no sense is carrying around a 7-9 lbs. "hunting" pack, when a 4lbs. pack will serve you better.
I have hauled out elk with an REI Ridgeline, and it was very do-able, but when I bought an EXO K2 it was a game changer. I carry that pack for summer camping and flyfishing trips, I can unbuckle the back from the frame, and carry treestands between the back and frame. I can pack out animals, I can haul a double-bull blind. etc. Its just so versatile and allows me to use it all year for many many purposes.

Just get a lighter weight hunting pack, there’s no reason for a 9+ lb frame and bag when there are 4 lb setups that work. KUIU is my choice, the new suspension is excellent also.

Unless you’re trying to keep up with people doing 20+ miles a day on the AT sleeping under visquene on half a foam sleeping pad, eating “stoveless” food, there’s no reason for an ultralight backpacking pack.

I can do a week with hunting gear and 3l of water, and be just over 40 lbs. Its not a huge deal to do 10-14 mikes a day in rugged terrain, off trail.

The meat shelves are very handy, I use them for turkey hunting, tree stands, you could carry a pack raft, firewood, inflatable paddle board, climbing ropes, etc in there.

If you’re recreational backpacking load is 2 lbs heavier than it could be, just consider it training for hunting season.

bubbay

FNG
26in tac with nomad2 and campbag done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! all you ever needed and then some !!!most usefull set on earth!

I wish I’d listened to the advice given to me when I first started back pack hunting. Buy the best first and you won’t spend countless hours and dollars trying to get there. Like yourself I started out piece mealing frames and bags together to save a few dollars. It never really worked out like I had planned. Going through a dozen different setups I wish I’d bought my Kifaru pack set up first like they told me to.

Marbles

WK Donkey
Classified Approved
I stopped using my Gregory, Deuter, and Osprey packs as I prefer my Exo and Seek Outside even if only hiking for the day.

I like breakaway pack systems, but an integreated Seek Outside with internal load shelf and Flight hip belt is pretty much a backpacking pack that can haul a load. Personally, I would say go with a Seek Outside breakaway pack though.

It is easy to attach other packs to an Exo or Seek Outside frame, but pretty pointless. It you want a UL pack, then you should just get two packs (or get a Seek Outside Flight). Lets face it, Osprey's are too heavy to be UL with a comparabable Hyperlite Mountain Gear pack coming in at almost half the wieght. A breakaway Seek Outside breakaway can put you in the same wieght as an Osprey.

Osprey Aether Pro 70 MD-3.94 lb
HMG 4400 Windrider-2.43 lb
SO Flight Two Spectra-2.4 lb
SO Unaweep 4800-3.38 lb
SO Fortress 4800-3.63 lb (breakaway)
Exo K3 3200 (no lid)-4.81 lb (breakaway)
(Note, I picked that Osprey because it looked light and came in closer to the price of the others, I did not look at other Osprey wieghts, but from past experience that one is representative.)

In my experience, the mesh and other features of the Osprey's are not game changers, my back still sweats in an Osprey Stratos.

Edit: If lite is relative to 9 lb hunting packs, than just spend the money and get a 4-6 lb hunting pack. It is worth it, and resale of a Seek Outside, Exo Mountain Gear, Stone Glacier, or Kifaru means you will actually be out less money if you decide to send it down the road.

Last edited:

Jbogg

Lil-Rokslider
In your price point I would really consider looking at the Horn Hunter full curl combo. It’s a three-piece modular pack that can be bought altogether for around $350 or each piece separately. I have used one for The last three years for hunting national forest in the southern Appalachians. It’s not ultralight by any means, but it is incredibly durable, with high quality beefy zippers and rides very comfortably even with substantial weight. The pack frame all by itself has some huge winged pockets built in above the meat shelf, with some incredibly roomy hip belt pockets as well. If you decided to add the large main pack body as well as the day pack you would have enough space to go on a 10 to 14 day overnight backpack hunt. When I purchased mine they were made in America as well.

Rokwiia

WKR
I stopped using my Gregory, Deuter, and Osprey packs as I prefer my Exo and Seek Outside even if only hiking for the day.

I like breakaway pack systems, but an integreated Seek Outside with internal load shelf and Flight hip belt is pretty much a backpacking pack that can haul a load. Personally, I would say go with a Seek Outside breakaway pack though.

It is easy to attach other packs to an Exo or Seek Outside frame, but pretty pointless. It you want a UL pack, then you should just get two packs (or get a Seek Outside Flight). Lets face it, Osprey's are too heavy to be UL with a comparabable Hyperlite Mountain Gear pack coming in at almost half the wieght. A breakaway Seek Outside breakaway can put you in the same wieght as an Osprey.

Osprey Aether Pro 70 MD-3.94 lb
HMG 4400 Windrider-2.43 lb
SO Flight Two Spectra-2.4 lb
SO Unaweep 4800-3.38 lb
SO Fortress 4800-3.63 lb (breakaway)
Exo K3 3200 (no lid)-4.81 lb (breakaway)
(Note, I picked that Osprey because it looked light and came in closer to the price of the others, I did not look at other Osprey wieghts, but from past experience that one is representative.)

In my experience, the mesh and other features of the Osprey's are not game changers, my back still sweats in an Osprey Stratos.

Edit: If lite is relative to 9 lb hunting packs, than just spend the money and get a 4-6 lb hunting pack. It is worth it, and resale of a Seek Outside, Exo Mountain Gear, Stone Glacier, or Kifaru means you will actually be out less money if you decide to send it down the road.
SO Divide 4,800 (79L main bag) in gray is 2lbs 12oz, stay removed

SO Unaweep 4,800 (79L main bag) in gray with center stay removed is 3lb 2oz.

You could order a custom Unaweep 6,300 in gray and I think it would weigh 3lbs 6oz, with center stay removed. That's crazy light for backpack with a 100L main bag.

Remember, those capacities do not include the face pocket (or talon) nor the water bottle pockets which can each hold two Gatorade quarts.

@*zap* has a good point. Start with what fits you.

i used a Metcalf for both hiking and hunting for a while. It works fine. Probably 2# more than a comparable sized commercial pack built for hiking. The new ones can be had for $350 on the right sale. They work great for just about anything. If I owned one pack it would be a Metcalf.

I upgraded my metcalf to a beartooth on a guidelight mt frame. I got interested in lightening things up for hiking so I bought a gossamer Mariposa. It is stupid light and handles 35-40# well. I have used it on up to six day hikes with relative comfort And room.

Well mystery ranch is outsourced to phillipines so that should make the decision easy, kuiu is probably Ethiopia. MR hides behind being a montana company but it's a disguise imo. Also I think MR is way behind kuiu in all forms of hunting gear.
Did you just say and imply mystery ranch isn't quality because they're built in the Philippines?

First off, I hope you didn't mean that the way you wrote it.

Second, they're made in USA, Vietnam, and the Phillys. They also have tags which say which place each pack was built, they openly disclose that to the public.

Third, I think mystery ranch quality is known world wide and has quite a large amount of positive feedback for being bomb proof and reliable.