Backpack Shootout - 9 Backpacks Go HEAD to HEAD ***Updated 8/5/2020***

Thanks for the great review @Zach Herold . When you were carrying out a load using the Seek Outside Lanner, what size frame extensions did you use? Or does the integrated not use frame extensions like the breakaway version of the pack?
Yes it is possible to use frame extensions I just didn't use them for any of my tests.

Without the extensions what was the frame length? Also curious about the issue of not being able to look up on some of the packs. It looked like the ones you had issues with were larger bags? Is that correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No not necessarily. With the Kifaru, Initial Ascent, EXO, and Sitka my head hit the frame.

The frame on the SO is 24".

Hey everyone Part 2 is LIVE!!

Here is the link to check it out:

Awesome review(s)! I especially can appreciate your filming while carrying a heavy load, never more honest and unfiltered than when workin hard. I’ve wanted to buy one of each pack and try them all out for years because I was worried that I didn’t buy the right one or that I could do better. Sometimes that can be part of the fun, but I have been very pleased with my Kuiu since I upgraded to the pro suspension, and am glad to see a fair and honest review that puts it in the top tier of packs. Not that it matters as long as I’m happy with how it fits me, but it helps take away the question of “could I do better”, probably not. Although it looked like a lot of fun packing all that meat, thank you again for taking the time and energy to film it all and edit into such a good review. Most thorough pack review I’ve seen between part 1 and 2.

Awesome review(s)! I especially can appreciate your filming while carrying a heavy load, never more honest and unfiltered than when workin hard. I’ve wanted to buy one of each pack and try them all out for years because I was worried that I didn’t buy the right one or that I could do better. Sometimes that can be part of the fun, but I have been very pleased with my Kuiu since I upgraded to the pro suspension, and am glad to see a fair and honest review that puts it in the top tier of packs. Not that it matters as long as I’m happy with how it fits me, but it helps take away the question of “could I do better”, probably not. Although it looked like a lot of fun packing all that meat, thank you again for taking the time and energy to film it all and edit into such a good review. Most thorough pack review I’ve seen between part 1 and 2.

Thanks for the kind words and I'm glad it helped.

Here is the link to check it out:
Awesome review and great insight!
First question, what would be your size and weight? Curious how that would affect the pack fitting.
Also, you mentioned that you also had a Kuiu 7000. Would that be the 7000 LT? And if so, how do you find the material compared to the pro bag since it is a lighter material. And how would it compare to the other top tier bags quality and durability?

Thanks!

First question, what would be your size and weight? Curious how that would affect the pack fitting.
Also, you mentioned that you also had a Kuiu 7000. Would that be the 7000 LT? And if so, how do you find the material compared to the pro bag since it is a lighter material. And how would it compare to the other top tier bags quality and durability?

Thanks!
Thank you and glad you found it helpful. The LT is slightly lighter but would probably hold up just fine under normal use. Certain bags will be tougher but for the size and weight it's hard to beat.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Thanks!
I'm 5'6" and around 158.

Nice work man.

You've peaked my interest in looking outside Mystery Ranch at Kuiu and Seak Outisde.

Kuiu I was very skeptical of but sounds like they addressed a lot of their previous complaints. Might have to check them out!

I'm 5'6" and around 158.

What were the lengths of each of the packs? I ask again because you are on the shorter end of the spectrum and may be the reason you couldn't look up on several of them. For Instance the KUIU frame looked shorter than all of the other packs followed by the Seek and those seem to be the ones you liked the most. I ask because I am at the opposite end of the spectrum 6'2" with a 21" torso and my son is even longer at 23" since he is 6'5".

Last edited:
Nice job. Any reason Mystery Ranch wasn’t included in part 2? Iv been looking at the Beartooth 80, the Kuiu and the Sitka. Had been curious to see how it ranked.

What was the length on the kifaru frame? Looks like the frame reaches up past your ears.

The other packs where you couldn't look up seemed similar, kifaru just seemed like it was about 4" too tall instead of 2" like the others.

Hard to imagine any pack letting you look uphill like you talked about if you buy a frame that reaches that high. Was interesting because I have the 26" and it's right on the border of being too short for me to get enough lift, looks like you need a frame that's about 4" shorter?

Back