Backpack rain cover

Heading to WY next week for mule deer and finalizing things. Going down the list and still don't have a rain cover for my MR Metcalf. Anyone think it's a necessity and would something cheap off Amazon work just as well as a $50+ name brand?

wyosam

WKR
I carry a cover, though I rarely use it. Weighs nothing and packs small. I dont use the MR one- I use the same one I've had for a long time on several packs. Cheap one is probably just fine.

Mt Al

WKR
You don't need one until you do! Last time I got caught in a downpour I learned what "water repellent" means: not water proof. I have a surplus one that works great, REI (supposedly anti-hunting MF-ers, who knows) has several at good prices. I keep mine in the truck. If there's a reasonable chance of rain and I'm going to be out long, I throw it in. Short trips or very low chance of rain, stays in the truck.

mlgc20

WKR
I carry the pack cover from Badlands. It comes in blaze orange and is about $30. Works great. I have an Osprey pack cover as well. But, I tend to only use that for backpacking and not hunting. It's a bit noisy.

1000yrds

FNG
When i used to do a lot of backpack camping, i used to just wrap items in plastic shopping bags. I also carried a plastic garbage bag to cover the backpack in a downpour. I would poke a few hokes in the bag to run the shoulder straps through the garbage bag. A nylon backpack cover costs more and may leak depending upon the coating and seam seal. The garbage bag is simple, cheap and the plastic is waterproof. I could also cut armholes in the bag and use it as a jacket in an emergency.

I am definitely a fan of them. Here in the PNW it rains a lot...and you can get caught in the rain just that quickly as well. I have tossed mine on many times and glad I did. As others have mentioned they weigh almost nothing and pack down small as to not take up much room. What I also use mine for quite often is for sitting on wet ground while glassing. Keeps the backside dry while not needing rain gear.

The Angelo Kid

Lil-Rokslider
Speaking from limited experience of only one seven day mule deer hunt in Colorado I would say to take one. We got afternoon rains four of the days. While it didn't always rain hard there were 10 minute bursts of straight downpours that would have completely soaked our bags. Throwing the rain fly on definitely saved some of my gear from getting soaked and the pack from becoming much heavier due to water weight.

A rain fly is one of those things where I don't understand why companies don't just build them into the pack. They are lightweight and can pack down to almost nothing and it seems it would be easy enough to just design them into the packs where you could pop them out of a stash pocket or whatnot and throw them over your bag when things get bad.

The Angelo Kid

Lil-Rokslider
Also, Quicksilver's tip of using while glassing is a great one to save from getting rain gear wet and having to stash it back in your bag later.

OP
I
Much obliged to all that responded. I ordered one off Amazon today. Cheap but as many said, I'm sure it'll work fine. Way over budget for this trip already.

jog

FNG
I run a cover- rarely need it but when I do its the difference between a dry pack and a soggy wet pack and soggy contents. The brand I use was under 30 bucks and works great. Sea to Summit. Weight is minor. You can go sit material for more $ or less for the cheaper nylon. I went cheaper and no complaints weight or performance wise the thing is a couple ounces maybe.
Glad you were steered to Sea to Summit. Great product.

Much obliged to all that responded. I ordered one off Amazon today. Cheap but as many said, I'm sure it'll work fine. Way over budget for this trip already.
It will be better than nothing! You may not be able to raft your pack down a river with it but save buying a cover like that when you have more time to mess around with them.

redpep

Lil-Rokslider
Bought a cheap one that is big enough to work on my MR Pintler. Drybis dry and wet is a party pooper