backpack hunting scope

ElPollo

WKR
looking for a decent scope in the less than 600 dollar range for my lightweight mountain rifle. (most likely a 6.5 cm t3x lite)

I know that my budget has me at a disadvantage.
Do you want a durable and reliable scope or a light scope? You generally can’t have all three. On the durability/reliability side, you have SWFA, Trijicon, and Nightforce, and that’s about it. Of those, the only one that hits your price (sub $800) and weight (sub 20 oz) goals is the SWFA 3-9x. If you want one of those, you should call them and get on their wait list.

OP
M
So there also is, the discrepancy of a guy that can handle a couple extra ounces, or the putz that can't.....
true, but I am trying to scrutinize my setup. I just came off of a pst gen 2 so it doesn't make sense to buy something so similar in weight.

Do you want a durable and reliable scope or a light scope? You generally can’t have all three. On the durability/reliability side, you have SWFA, Trijicon, and Nightforce, and that’s about it. Of those, the only one that hits your price (sub $800) and weight (sub 20 oz) goals is the SWFA 3-9x. If you want one of those, you should call them and get on their wait list.
There are certainly more options than that.

OP
M
Meopta Optika5 4-20x44 - Z-Plex #1032575
The Optika5 4-20x44 provides extra magnification in a lower profile scope, enabling the hunter or shooter to mount the scope lower to the bore for a sleeker appearance. Featuring 1” aluminum tube construction, MeoBright and MeoDrop lens coatings, ¼ MOA per click adjustments.
Dimensions13.5"
Weight21.5 oz
I noticed they have a 4-20x44 and a 4-20x50 is there any real difference other than the objective size?

Trijicon Accupoint 3-9x40 mil-dot green at 13.4 oz, with 1" talley lows at 2.0 oz you add just under 1 lb to an ultralight rifle (15.5 oz). With 200 yard zero on a 6.5 Creedmoor there's 5 mil hold points that get you over 700 yards, 4 dot below crosshair then where the post thickens back up is 5th mil. On a much slower 16" barrel 6.5 Grendel with 123gr eld-m's that reticle gets it to 620 yards. You can also get Kenton speed dial turrets for these so you can have both options. You'll get about 100 yards less on dial up as they only have 12 moa per rotation. The no battery illuminated reticle is awesome and 3-9x is the perfect range for 0-600 yard set-ups. I migrated from leupold to these and love them. Better glass, better adjustments, just another level above in quality/feel/image and hard to give up that illuminated reticle once you have it. Go mil-dot for any concerns about return to zero or other dialling concerns, set and forget, zip it up to 9x and use the mil-dots to go long. A little wind data for holds on scope tube you're all set. There's a decal with the hold points for said 6.5 Grendel fyi and 10 kmh wind holds at those distances. There's a Kenton speed dial turret also on there so can play either way.

Attachments

• IMG_0309.jpg
    IMG_0309.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 49
OP
M
looks like its between the trijicon acuupoint 3x9 and the optika 5

I have to thank Doug for showing me the meopta.

Available today but likely not for long. You could buy two of them for the price you’re looking for.

RussDXT

WKR
In that price range swfa all day, with the Trijicon as a back up option. If it does not pass Forms drop test I wouldn’t trust it. Athlon is like vortex with a worse warranty and with the exception of one scope it’s all Chinese.

Unckebob

WKR
In that price range swfa all day, with the Trijicon as a back up option. If it does not pass Forms drop test I wouldn’t trust it. Athlon is like vortex with a worse warranty and with the exception of one scope it’s all Chinese.

I can tell from person experience that my new Meppta Optika6 scope survived a 3 foot drop (with a rifle on top of it) onto a concrete floor with only superficial damage.

SWFA 6x or 10x. Awesome scopes for the price.

Guys hate on the SWFA ultralight with the BDC reticle but I have 2 on different setups and shoot them out to 600 often. Turrets aren’t great but have worked every time for me. Eyebox is a little short but still 100% usable and not an issue for me. My Kimber hunter in 7mm-08 with the ultralight weighs in at 5lbs 12oz. Another option to consider.

SpringM1A

Lil-Rokslider
There’s a few places where I’ve carried a spotter to hunt elk, but in those places I’m using it to potentially save a lot of walking. I’m not that picky and on most general tag hunts I just bring my binos and often just balance them on a trekking pole instead of a tripod.