Backcountry rifle hunters, ammo quantity?

Wolfshead

Lil-Rokslider
We would go south to the Carolinas to hunt for a week.
I handload so I would take my box of fifty with me.
When I’m in the woods I have at the least, another full reload with me. 3 in the mag, 1 in the chamber.
I like to have two extra mags and two to top off the chamber, plus what’s in my rifle.

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
I only shoot tikkas so a 3 round mag in the rifle, a 5 round mag EASILY/FAST accessible on the chest pack, a 5 round mag in the top lid of my pack and one "because" round in my emergency kit.
14 total.

Randy

rootacres

WKR
3 in the mag, 3-5 more in the bino harness. I think it’s a good idea to bring at least 30 more in the vehicle. To have a real solid zero you’ll need 10-20. I went on an outfitted hunt last fall. The outfitter had steel setup from 300 to 1200 yds at his house. I’m glad I brought many extras, got to have some fun on his range.

madcalfe

WKR
when i go sheep hunting its 1 in the tube, 3 in the mag, 6 in my shell holder on the buttstock,
3 in my bino harnes pocket, and 5 in a plastic sleeve in my backpack.
so 18 total for 10-14 day hunts.

E.Shell

FNG
"Back Country" here in the MD/VA/WV/PA areas I usually hunt amounts to a max of about a mile or so from the truck. I carry a fully loaded rifle (usually 5) and another 10 in one of those plastic Federal ammo sleeves in a pocket. Usually use one, but you never know.