Backcountry hot tent - SO twilight, Cimarron, Argali Absaroka

Bak222

FNG
Looking for a hot tent to use as a spike camp for 2 people. We will have a wall tent at basecamp, but after a few years in the same area we’re gonna try to spike out to cover more area and not spend so much time hiking in/out each day. 3rd season CO, so weather is variable but has typically been snowy and very cold at night. Want a stove for warmth and drying things out. I’ve never done this so hoping people with more experience can chime in. Weight is a factor, but will be split between two people so not the main factor.

Currently looking at the following:
- Seek outside Twilight 3p
- seek outside Cimarron
- Argali Absaroka

Really like the setup of the Peax solitude with the crosstrek stabilization, but after reading on here it sounds like their CS and quality may be questionable. Open to other options as well, but after weeks of reading these are what seem like may be the best options. Also open to stove recommendations. Thanks for any input or things I may not be thinking of!

I have the Absaroka and half nest along with the Argali stove. It's a nice setup for 2, but could sleep 3 if really needed, but you'd all be squeezed. If your winter camping, tarps to sleep on inside is all you'd really need, with stove. You may want to consider that option. Of those you mention, considering weight, bulk and room, I'd go with the Absaroka.

The is a cheap Chinese stove thread here on Rokslide Rokslide somewhere. It's a stove option. However, you also need to have food, cooking and water figured out (you likely already do).

OP
B

Bak222

FNG
I have the Absaroka and half nest along with the Argali stove. It's a nice setup for 2, but could sleep 3 if really needed, but you'd all be squeezed. If your winter camping, tarps to sleep on inside is all you'd really need, with stove. You may want to consider that option. Of those you mention, considering weight, bulk and room, I'd go with the Absaroka.

The is a cheap Chinese stove thread here on Rokslide Rokslide somewhere. It's a stove option. However, you also need to have food, cooking and water figured out (you likely already do).
Thanks for the insight. Yes I have food, cooking and water figured out. The specs on the absaroka seem great, my main concern with it is durability. How long have you had yours? I also like the fact that Seek Outside is made in the US, thats not a dealbreaker for me, but definitely a factor

Iltasyuko

FNG
I have the Argali Absaroka. I can’t comment on long term durability as it’s only a couple years old. I can say it is sewn at a high level of quality - as good as any other tent. I use the SO box stove which works well. I have the half nest but for your timing in the season you could go without ofc. Absaroka is a nice product and I would recommend it to anyone.

98XJRC

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Cimarron and have no complaints with it. I'd like a smaller shelter for when it's just me and will be looking at the Argali Rincon when that time comes due to the fabric. Silnylon has more stretch when wet vs the silpoly. Now without having experienced any issues I can not from first hand experience tell you how much of a difference this would make.

I'm still not sure on how I feel about the twilight due to the entrance being on the lower end. It almost feels as though a reverse design of the Kifaru Sawtooth.

I use a Kifaru stove that I purchased used off the classifieds and don't have any complaints other then wishing it had a bigger box.

Last edited:

TXAggie11

FNG
Cimarron user here. No complaints. Did well on a late november elk hunt in wyoming last year. Survived 5” of snow and 40+ mph winds one night. Sometimes hard to find a spot to put it given the footprint size. Pretty easy to set up.

OP
B

Bak222

FNG
Cimarron user here. No complaints. Did well on a late november elk hunt in wyoming last year. Survived 5” of snow and 40+ mph winds one night. Sometimes hard to find a spot to put it given the footprint size. Pretty easy to set up.
Yea that’s a little bit of my concern with the twilight. Seems like a better layout for space with a stove, but the footprint is a little larger which could present issues

OP
B

Bak222

FNG
I have the Cimarron and have no complaints with it. I'd like a smaller shelter for when it's just me and will be looking at the Argali Rincon when that time comes due to the fabric. Silnylon has more stretch when wet vs the silpoly. Now without having experienced any issues I can not from first hand experience tell you how much of a difference this would make.

I'm still not sure on how I feel about the twilight due to the entrance being on the lower end. It almost feels as though a reverse design of the Kifaru Sawtooth.

I use a Kifaru stove that I purchased used off the classifieds and don't have any complaints other then wishing it had a bigger box.
Yea I'm not sure about it either being I've not been able to see it in person. Honestly the zipper less door (which I imagine is the reason the door is in the lower side) is one of the reasons I like the twilight. I’ve had zippers fail before, although it was on a Davis wall tent, but failed zippers in the backcountry could really suck.

One of the seek guys on here mentioned the reason they don’t use the silpoly is due to it failing at the seems in high winds. Seems like silnylon and silpoly both have benefits and trade offs depending what’s important to you.

TL406

Lil-Rokslider
I had a gen 1 argali door zipper break on me this spring in the backcountry. I was able to make it work without much issue to finish the hunt out. Got back to town and argali just warrantied me a new gen 2 version. They tweaked a few things on this new gen, including the failure point on the door zipper on my gen 1. I haven’t used that new tent yet but I have no concerns and plan to use it almost exclusively going forward. It’s perfect for 2 guys - haven’t run a stove in it but used it a decent amount otherwise. It’s very storm worthy with all the guy out points and handled quite a bit of snow one night this spring.