Backcountry food ideas

elkyinzer

WKR
These are pretty much my backpacking staples, I eat a lot of carbs and fat, not quite what I go for at home, but these seem to fuel me the best without going too nuts on salt intake:

Powdered milk + granola/cereal/oatmeal
Dried fruit
Homemade granola/granola bars (high fat)
Pouches of tuna, salmon, mackerel, and sardines + olive oil and crackers
Nuts (walnuts and pecans by the handful)
Mountain house/other brands

sektr

FNG
Definitely need to add nuts and dehydrated fruit to the list for snacks.

Canned tuna, canned chicken, corned beef hash, basically any canned meat is easy to switch up the protein.

Also NOODLES! A little olive oil, salt and pepper with canned meat or bacon bits, you got yourself a meal.

My favorite cheap dinners have been a protein pack, like tuna or chicken, or spam with ramen noodles in a ziploc with idahoan potato flakes. I read about it somewhere, it is called a ramen bomb. I haven't figured out breakfast, yet, as I tried the granola, protein powder and water mixture and that was not pleasing. I typically went with two protein/granola bars (Larabar, KIND, or Clif) and then had some jerky or homemade trailmix for lunch.

I have some new meal ideas that I have been trying recently based on Ramen. I am not a fan of tuna, so I am trying to find some other options. Adding in 3 different protein options: canned chicken, corned beef hash or bacon bits. I am going to try and dehydrate the canned chicken and corned beef hash next and see if I can make a cheap good meal. You can leave out or use a partial flavor packet because the protein will add flavor. Just throw it in a ziploc bag and Ramen cooks quite well.
My favortie ramen this year was a pack of ramen, then 1/3 to 1/2 pound ground elk dehydrated and then throw a half cup
Or so bread crumbs. I crave it even when im not hunting sometimes

Probably unpopular but it works for me...

A metric ton of cheap processed yummy carbs!!! I raid the oreo isle in Sam's club. Yummy foods I normally don't eat are easier to down on hunts, for me.

I really love Big Sur Bars for breakfast!!!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk