Backcountry food ideas

brocksw

WKR
Been getting a little tired of the "butthole" sandwich and similar variations. I decided to go a little heavier on the bars this year, but I know I won't survive (mentally) on just a few protein bars and a dinner at night.

so far I have a 15 day elk trip planned and my daily intake so far consists of the following:

Breakfast
1 epic bison bar
1 chia coconut bar

Snack
1 pack of jerky/Heathers Choice salmon snack pack

Lunch
1 vega one chocolate cherry almond protein bar
1 pack of Justins peanut or almond butter
1 Wheat flat with Bacon and Cheese?

Snack
1 greens plus energy micro nutrients bar
1 honey stinger

Dinner
1 mountain house/AlpineAire/Heather's Choice for dinner
1 Idahoan potato (every other day)

Desert
1 primal kitchen choc. almond bar

I'm thinking I need to get some fat or "real food" in there. I've debated about just throwing in the usual wheat flat, 5 slices of precooked bacon and a couple packets of cheese...hence the question mark...but the point of this post is to really look for an alternative to that...

Anyone have any unique ideas for squeezing something else in there besides bacon and cheese? Trying to stay away from bagels.

OP
B

brocksw

WKR
What packets of cheese are you using?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just the little rectangular packs of Colby jack...not sure on their weight...they are smaller than a credit card... I've always wondered how long they will go without spoiling in the early season.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

My favorite high calorie on the go snack is a tortilla with a thick smear of cream cheese and salami and/or pepperoni, lay it all out and then roll it tight. Make a whole bunch and they fit into a gallon zip-lock nicely.

If you really want to get fancy put some pepperonis and roasted red peppers on and have a real Italian roll.

I pre-make them and find that I eat a lot more when i can just grab something and go.

541hunter

WKR
Just the little rectangular packs of Colby jack...not sure on their weight...they are smaller than a credit card... I've always wondered how long they will go without spoiling in the early season.

Found this. Little high in sodium but has some decent calorie numbers. Cheddar Jack Cheese Spread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AdamW

WKR
Looks like you're trying to stay primal/paleo-ish. I have some of the same foods on my packing list, so tag for additional info!

As mentioned, some olive oil tuna or otherwise will get the fat up as will some nuts. Trader Joe's has these awesome roasted almonds in individual packs that I'm going to pick up before season.

I'm not a huge breakfast eater but I think I'm going to do some Paleonola Maple Pancake flavor with some freeze dried fruit and protein powder in there. Just add water.

Have you tried the new venison Epic bar? They're awesome.

Bl704

WKR
Not a lot of fiber in the OPs list either. Nuts/seeds, dehydrated fruit/veg and if so inclined maybe some low GI grains.

I have some new meal ideas that I have been trying recently based on Ramen. I am not a fan of tuna, so I am trying to find some other options. Adding in 3 different protein options: canned chicken, corned beef hash or bacon bits. I am going to try and dehydrate the canned chicken and corned beef hash next and see if I can make a cheap good meal. You can leave out or use a partial flavor packet because the protein will add flavor. Just throw it in a ziploc bag and Ramen cooks quite well.

AdamW

WKR
I have some new meal ideas that I have been trying recently based on Ramen. I am not a fan of tuna, so I am trying to find some other options. Adding in 3 different protein options: canned chicken, corned beef hash or bacon bits. I am going to try and dehydrate the canned chicken and corned beef hash next and see if I can make a cheap good meal. You can leave out or use a partial flavor packet because the protein will add flavor. Just throw it in a ziploc bag and Ramen cooks quite well.

If you're dehydrating your own, no need to use that canned stuff. One of the perks of drying your own is getting to pick what is in it! I'm kind of toying with the idea of a buffalo chicken wrap similar to what PackIt Gourmet sells. Damn I'm hungry now.

If you're dehydrating your own, no need to use that canned stuff. One of the perks of drying your own is getting to pick what is in it! I'm kind of toying with the idea of a buffalo chicken wrap similar to what PackIt Gourmet sells. Damn I'm hungry now.

I had read on backpackinglight that people were saying that cooking and dehydrating your own chicken doesn't turn out as good as dehydrating the canned stuff. With how cheap the canned stuff is I will gladly take the shortcut. I would suspect that the preservatives in the canned chicken along with it being soaking in water post cooking helps the texture when dehydrating. One thing you do have to be careful of when dehydrating meats is the fat can go rancid, so some people keep it in the freezer.

Mike7

WKR
The olive oil added to the freeze dried meals not only helps with fat calories, but also with their taste.

You can tailor a trailmix to whatever ingredients you want, and this ends up being cheaper than the premade bars for the same amount of calories and weight. You can put whatever mixture of nuts, organic dried fruits, dark chocolate, etc. in there you want.

Cream cheese packets on crackers with carrots, pepperoni stick, etc. is a tasty treat and ups you fiber and fat. This all stays really good for many days if you don't cut the carrots and you keep everything separate until you are ready to eat it.

Another option for breakfast (if this is acceptable on your diet), is your favorite breakfast cereal/granola with powdered milk and/or protein powder in a ziploc bag (double ziploc this though) and just add water.

Mike7

WKR
Powdered freeze dried hummus or bean dip powder can be found in bulk also and is a really good snack when rehydrated and spread on tortillas, etc.

I buy the small chubs of summer sausage and add it to my Idahoan potatoes. I dice half the sausage into a quart freezer bag with half a pack of potatoes and some dehydrated milk, then add the hot water. The rest I wrap tightly and plan on eating the same meal the next evening/afternoon.

OP
B

brocksw

WKR
Not a lot of fiber in the OPs list either. Nuts/seeds, dehydrated fruit/veg and if so inclined maybe some low GI grains.
Thanks for pointing that out... I'll have to look into some dried fruit/nut trail mix to up my fiber intake. Was also thinking of making some bars with almond meal, dates, macadamia/sunseeds/peanuts.

The tuna I've been reluctant to bring in the early season because it stinks and we don't always start a fire to burn everything every night.

I'm also not a big breakfast eater unless I have eggs. Usually, in the morning I'm more concerned with getting out of camp as early as possible and never feel like anything more than a bar or two is worth it. I may have to try a high fiber low sugar bar in combination with the trailmix.

I wonder if maybe just adding some fiber (Metamucil) powder to some water in the morning would be a good idea? May have to run some fiber numbers and see how much I'm getting currently versus recommended. I'm not aware that fiber needs increase with activity but perhaps I just haven't looked into that enough.

Carrots are something I've never thought about...I have thought about apples. I like the idea of taking fresh veggies out though...have a feeling my options are pretty limited.

Last edited:

Bl704

WKR
Another option for breakfast (if this is acceptable on your diet), is your favorite breakfast cereal/granola with powdered milk and/or protein powder in a ziploc bag (double ziploc this though) and just add water.
I was going to throw this out there earlier but just left it at low GI grains. I found some dehydrated coconut cream (if you happen have an Asian grocery that carries Thai or Caribbean grocery or look online) I'm going to premix with some granola...the coconut cream powder also gives you options if you want to make a DIY curry.

Another thing that I have seen that I want to try out is some products from a company called Fantastic World Foods makes powdered vegan meat replacement products. I had found a review by a backpacker who said he would bring some of the small chubs sausages to cut up and mix in for some real meat flavor to his (his wife was Vegan). I am about as far as you can get from Vegan, but I'm not against it if it tastes descent.

Products | Fantastic World Foods

Stove top stuffing with a pouch or can of chicken makes a nice big meal. Throw in some dried cranberries and it's backcountry Thanksgiving. Regarding meat, I usually go with a small can of chicken for most dinners. I will also bring some textured vegetable protein to spike my meals. I'm considering getting a big can of Mountain House freeze dried chicken for the season to save some weight vs the cans or pouches.

Regarding dehydrating your own meals, it's easier for me to just throw any leftovers on the Excalibur. Last night I made a big batch of cajun dirty rice with elk heart. I ended up with a lot leftover, enough for 3 big meals. All of my DIY meals, especially ones with meat or more fat go in the freezer until I'm ready to head out.

Bl704

WKR
Another thing that I have seen that I want to try out is some products from a company called Fantastic World Foods makes powdered vegan meat replacement products. I had found a review by a backpacker who said he would bring some of the small chubs sausages to cut up and mix in for some real meat flavor to his (his wife was Vegan). I am about as far as you can get from Vegan, but I'm not against it if it tastes descent.

Isn't that just ground TVP or Satan? Both of which I've tried, um, not a fan.