backcountry fishing pole

handwerk

WKR
I'm looking for a basic break down or telescoping spin fishing pole for chasing backcountry trout in lakes, what do you folks suggest?

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Get an ultralight 2 piece (or more) that’s rated for 4 lb test and 1/32 oz lures.

I just grab a cheap one from Sportman’s or Walmart that I can snap and not think twice about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cnelk

WKR
First.. its called a 'rod', not a 'pole' :)

After you get your new 'rod', purchase some small 'Panther Martins' - very deadly to mtn trout

boom

WKR
i use a two piece spinning ultralight. mine is just a bread and butter shimano rod with the smallest Phleuger reel. (<--i just butchered the spelling)

it's okay. mine is a 7footer IIRC. i found out my cousin works for GLoomis..there is a four piece i am eyeballing!!

i use this 3lb line before..i cant find it anymore. just that tiny bit of umph, allows me to hork a wiggling trout up to the shore. with 2lb line, you are better off bringing an ultralight landing net. i think 4lb is just to visible in a super clear mtn waterway. (but they do make high$, damn near invisible 4lb now)

i see so many questions about ultralight packable spinning gear and there really are not that many companies that make a GOOD 4 piece spin rod. I know fenwick makes a few. I hate using crappy gear. to me it makes a huge difference especially if you need to cast any distance. Fly companies have it dialed by now and actually most rods made are now 4 piece rods and you really cannot tell the difference between a 4 and a 2 piece rod in performance. The ferrules used to be the big problem. It was tough to join the pieces together in a way that did not impact performance. With modern graphite they have gotten past that problem. I build my own rods and i may get a few 7 foot fly rod blanks and make a couple high end spinning rods specifically for back country use. I still love throwing spinning gear now and then also so it would be a cool project.

Owenst7

WKR
I have a 5' ultralight ugly stick 2 pc that weighs like 3.5 ounces. Its only about 3" taller than my pack, so I just strap it to the side and forget about it. I put it in a fluorescent light tube cover when I expect to do a lot of bushwhacking, but that rod is so flexible I don't think it matters.

When I'm packing in to an area with enough room for my fly gear, I take a 4 pc Cabela's rod. I'd like to get a little ~5' fly rod to use in the brushy streams I'm around in the summer on scouting trips. Sometimes it's hard just to climb through the brush to the water, so a 4'-5' rod is really all you'd ever have room to move.

Those are the same rods I use most of the time around here. The short ones are easy to manage in my canoe and we don't have giant trout in most of the waters I like to fish.

boom

WKR
i see so many questions about ultralight packable spinning gear and there really are not that many companies that make a GOOD 4 piece spin rod. I know fenwick makes a few. I hate using crappy gear. to me it makes a huge difference especially if you need to cast any distance. Fly companies have it dialed by now and actually most rods made are now 4 piece rods and you really cannot tell the difference between a 4 and a 2 piece rod in performance. The ferrules used to be the big problem. It was tough to join the pieces together in a way that did not impact performance. With modern graphite they have gotten past that problem. I build my own rods and i may get a few 7 foot fly rod blanks and make a couple high end spinning rods specifically for back country use. I still love throwing spinning gear now and then also so it would be a cool project.

i think the 6.5' Daiwa 4-piece Presso rod is gonna make it under my tree. i have a trip planned into the Sierras after the snow level recedes. i want more cutthroat!!

even 50% off for the GLoomis isnt worth it for me..i dont fish THAT much.

Last edited:
Daiwa Spinmatic 4-piece for ultralight or Eagle Claw Pack-It 4-piece for medium. Both are cheap enough that I just throw them in my pack without any protection and just buy a new one when they get beat up. You can get a St. Croix travel rod if you want, but then you have to carry the extra weight of a rod tube to protect it. I've tried out the ugly stick 4-piece and it was far too stiff for my taste.

I just went through the same decision. I looked at the pen rods but saw mixed reviews, I do think one. Borrowed an emme rod but had trouble casting light lures with. My brother got my a crystal river spinning/fly take down but I found the quality lacking and did not trust it in the back country.

I have a 2 piece 5' ugly stick I have been using for years. It is an ultra-light, casts good and is tough. I like the smaller 5' rod around the brush, yet it casts decently. I decided I wanted something that doesn't stick out of my pack side pocket, although I have yet to break the rod. I have always been pleased with the ugly sticks, they are tough, cheap and decent. Not as sensitive as my good graphite rods, but I have yet to break a glass rod. I just ordered the 3 piece 5' ugly stick, I could only find it in light-weight, but it should work well enough. That little Diawa looks like a good rod too, but I worry about graphite in the back country.

I use a small pleuger ultra-light reel and 4 lb test. I carry a small hank of 2 lb test for a leader if they are being shy.

Netherman

WKR
I use a 3 piece ugly stick, Pfluger reel, and tiny tackle box to hold a few spinners, hooks, and weight. I use this kit backpacking in MI and in CO when visiting my brother.

3 piece ugly stick
Amazon.com : Ugly Stik GX2 Spinning Rod : Spinning Fishing Rods : Sports & Outdoors

Pfluger Reel
Amazon.com : Pflueger 6920 President Spinning Fishing Reel : Spinning Fishing Reels : Sports & Outdoors

Mini Tackle Box (I've got the black but wish I had the orange)
Amazon.com : Goture Fishing-Lure-Boxes-Bait Tackle-Plastic-Storage, Small-Lure-Case, Mini-Lure-Box for Vest, Fishing-Accessories Large Boxes Storage Containers (Small/Orange) : Sports & Outdoors

I like that little tacklebox Netherman. How well do spinners fit in the compartments? The compartments look pretty small, but its hard to judge from the pictures. It look stouter than the little plano I am using now.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

EasilyExcited

Lil-Rokslider
the st croix travel rods are awesome has great action and can wing a lure pretty far for a decent retrieve. there customer service is great also. i managed to loose the tip section before it ever caught a fish and they mailed me a new section for 20 $ i think

Netherman

WKR
I like that little tacklebox Netherman. How well do spinners fit in the compartments? The compartments look pretty small, but its hard to judge from the pictures. It look stouter than the little plano I am using now.

To be honest it's a little small and takes some finesse to get everything I've got in there. I think I've got 6 spinners (all size 0) in there plus some other stuff I don't really use. When I get home I'll dig it out and get a picture of it loaded.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Netherman

WKR
I'm kicking around cutting out the plastic between the square slots to have some bigger spaces.
01a775d58b7d7431e52e026e2c3fd003.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

boom

WKR
Thanks Netherman,

I just got one in the mail. My old micro plano would come open sometimes in my pack. This is a bit smaller, better latch, but the compartments are definately smaller.

I fit most my gear in it but had to scale back and think it out. I got in some 1/16th oz spinners, 2 kastmasters, flies, some trout magnets and 1/32nd jig heads. A few plastic grubs, swivels, weights and hooks. An extra rod tip, glue stick and a straw with fly dope. I may put in some wooly buggers in the left over slot, or some extra spinners. Really all I need as I do not tend to loose much unless stream fishing. I put some clear bubble bobbers in my rod tube. Its good it limits my gear some, I do tend to pack too much. I may even tape the rod tip inside my tube for more lure space, but do not think I need it.

I wondered the same thing about cutting out a divider wall. My dremel would cut out a wall easily and make fitting the spinners easier. I may try it and see. I do like the box and the color is great.
d3261c41a06d434648e940e2e4836022.jpg