Backcountry Cook System

New to Rokslide, but I have been following for a while. I thought this would be a great first post.

I am considering upgrading my backcountry stove/cook system (stove,pot,silverware) as I head into the offseason. I am researching right now on what stove and pot combo to purchase for the best results. Ideally, I would like a stove/cook system that I can use on all my hunts, from early season to late season.

Anyways, I wanted to get your guy's thoughts and opinions on what features you think are the most important to look for in a good cook system? (Stove, pot, silverware)

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
MSR reactor comes with everything you need. 3 different size pots to choose from. Then just find a cheap LONG titanium spork and you’re done.

Great call on the long spork!

I'm a fan of Jetboil/toaks. This is the one area I don't have 4 different models (stoves) and don't get crazy over ounces.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Decide if you want super light or super featured.

Super light: Toaks or evernew titanium + msr pocket rocket deluxe (this one has pressure regulator and works better in the cold). Ti spoon of your choice. Carry a “hot lips” if drinking from cook pot, or ultralight mug. Gsi infinity is bombproof. I use a silicone x cup from sea to summit.

Featured: msr windburner, or reactor, or jet boil mini mo.

OP
B
Decide if you want super light or super featured.

Super light: Toaks or evernew titanium + msr pocket rocket deluxe (this one has pressure regulator and works better in the cold). Ti spoon of your choice. Carry a “hot lips” if drinking from cook pot, or ultralight mug. Gsi infinity is bombproof. I use a silicone x cup from sea to summit.

Featured: msr windburner, or reactor, or jet boil mini mo.
This is great info. I am trying to consider which type I will use the most often (Feature-rich or super light). What do you primarily use during the bulk of the season? Super light or feature-rich type stoves?

Also, those hot lips look amazing. I have never heard of those before. Very cool. I'm always burning myself when I have been using lightweight titanium pots.

Fjellvei

Lil-Rokslider
I like the jetboil mini mo with the 1L Tall Pot. The pot the mini mo comes with is a less ideal form factor to pack in your bag, imo. But as others have said, only boiling water with this thing, for 1.5 min or so

MT_Wyatt

WKR
This is great info. I am trying to consider which type I will use the most often (Feature-rich or super light). What do you primarily use during the bulk of the season? Super light or feature-rich type stoves?

Also, those hot lips look amazing. I have never heard of those before. Very cool. I'm always burning myself when I have been using lightweight titanium pots.
I’ve done both. I prefer the toaks + pocket rocket deluxe (which is a kick ass stove, way better than a jetboil flash burner) by far, added an x mug this year for more “comfort.” I don’t think you’d know your personal preference without significant time using either type. Neither is the wrong choice. Just different.

For me, I really try to trim weight where functionally possible. It used to depend on if I’m carrying a cook set later in the season, but I carry hot liquids in an insulated bottle when day hunting vs carrying a stove. But ultimately I tried to get my weight down from a pound to the 10 ounce range by going with the Ti pot etc.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Great call on the long spork!

I'm a fan of Jetboil/toaks. This is the one area I don't have 4 different models (stoves) and don't get crazy over ounces.
Yeah long spork is the big move.

The MSR reactor is the only unit I’ve found that consistently just plain works. Wind, snow, freezing rain, it starts right up every time with no fussing. I don’t have time to sit there and mess with a stove when a hot meal or hot drink is needed and it’s freezing outside haha.

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member

The MSR reactor is the only unit I’ve found that consistently just plain works. Wind, snow, freezing rain, it starts right up every time with no fussing. I don’t have time to sit there and mess with a stove when a hot meal or hot drink is needed and it’s freezing outside haha.
I've got about 5 different systems and kind of use them all but used the MSR windburner this year which is similar to the reactor. It's a bit on the heavier side but I love it. Melts snow nicely and is amazingly efficient.
I basically alternate between the windburner and the msr pocket rocket.

Randy

Hussar

Lil-Rokslider
Soto Amicus with a Toaks 750ml pot has worked well for me. A small fuel canister, stove, and bandana all nest within the pot. The only switch I've considered, but haven't made would be to a JetBoil style setup. But I have a hard time with the weight penalty when my current setup works well.

OP
B

Yes, it seems like the MSR setup is the way to go. Overall, just a dependable product. Just trying to narrow down between the pocket rocket style or reactor style. I really like @MT_Wyatt method of the 10oz rule.

OP
B
I've got about 5 different systems and kind of use them all but used the MSR windburner this year which is similar to the reactor. It's a bit on the heavier side but I love it. Melts snow nicely and is amazingly efficient.
I basically alternate between the windburner and the msr pocket rocket.

Randy
Great information! Are you typically using the windburner/reactor for late season hunts? Do you ever bring the pocket rocket for late season hunts?

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Weights for reference - I quit carrying hot lips and just take the x-mug for coffee......compared to min weight of windburner at 15oz+, I like the "put together" system more for my needs. I'm about <15oz with a fuel canister and using hot lips instead of the x-mug.

Lots of different approaches in this thread, which is about when I switched up for the lighter approach based on what lots of other guys were doing.

ITEMWEIGHT (OZ)
toaks 750 ml
3.6​
PR deluxe
2.9​
Ti Spoon
0.4​
x-mug
2.1​
hot lips
0.3​
DCF stuff sack
0.14​
SUBTOTAL
9.44​
small fuel canister
7.4​
TOTAL
16.84​

Mcnasty

FNG
No doubt the Reactor is a great all conditions stove and would be my go to for a primarily cold weather environments but heavy and overkill to me for most trips. My system is 20+ years old but runs well so I have not replaced it, there are newer lighter ones out there now for sure. I prefer a modular system over a reactor or jet boil. In the summer just the stove and pot/cup and spoon. Winter or altitude I add wind screen to get more efficiency out of the fuel and boil time. For groups or melting snow I go with a bigger pot. here are the weights and items I mix an match depending but 99% of the time its the stove, cup, spoon, fuel can lighter and that is.
StoveCookSnow Peak no igniter
1​
87​
gram
CupCookSnow peak titanium
1​
129​
gram
lighterCookBic small
1​
12​
gram
Fuel can standCook
1​
26​
gram
SpoonCooktitanium long handle sea to summit
1​
12​
gram
Stuff bagCookTNF black stove
1​
26​
gram
Fuel can smallCook
1​
201​
gram
Fuel can medCook
0​
382​
gram
Fuel can largeCook
0​
0​
ounce
CupCookGSI plastic insulated
0​
108​
gram
Cup coffeeCookEMS insulated coffee cup W lid
0​
136​
gram
Cup MeasuringCookplastic
0​
22​
gram
WindscreenCookMsr
0​
47​
gram
Pot w/lidCookLG titanium 1500
0​
282​
gram
Pot w/lidCookSM titanium 1000
0​
216​
gram
BowlCookEMS lexan
0​
7​
gram
SpoonCookLexan
0​
8​
gram
SporkCookTitanium snow peak
0​
17​
gram

BBob

WKR
But I have a hard time with the weight penalty when my current setup works well.
If the Sterno Inferno pots ever become available again the weight penalty is very small to none depending on what you have. I’m sure you could make your Amicus work with it. I made my Windburner work by modifying the pot supports although I’m now using a BRS stove with the Inferno pot. I modified the BRS supports to work better with the Inferno too. Better in the wind than a plain Ti cup and stove and more efficient. I used a Snow Peak Giga Power for a really long time with an MSR kettle. The Inferno pot combo has no weight penalty and is much more efficient especially if there’s any breeze or wind. I have a Reactor but only use it if it’s really cold and nasty and that’s not often down here.
F539B5E1-D97E-446F-87F5-30CFDF31D049.jpeg1B9180E0-A57C-4F18-B32D-D0292B109641.jpeg7EBCA1D3-1E36-4D54-BDC3-DC82DE8B328F.jpeg

Last edited:

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Great information! Are you typically using the windburner/reactor for late season hunts? Do you ever bring the pocket rocket for late season hunts?
Yes and yes.
It really depends on water availability and the kind of hunt I suppose. As with everyone, I'm always looking at weight but still want reliability.
The windburner excels at melting snow and it heats water in no time. I use the pocket rocket deluxe and it takes a bit longer to melt any amount of snow but it's way better if you need to simmer and cook something.
I work with a world class climber and mountaineer and pretty much they all use the reactor and windburner on their trips.

Randy

OP
B
If the Sterno Inferno pots ever become available again the weight penalty is very small to none depending on what you have. I’m sure you could make your Amicus work with it. I made my Windburner work by modifying the pot supports although I’m now using a BRS stove with the Inferno pot. I modified the BRS supports to work better with the Inferno too. Better in the wind than a plain Ti cup and stove and more efficient. I used a Snow Peak Giga Power for a really long time with an MSR kettle. The Inferno pot combo has no weight penalty and is much more efficient especially if there’s any breeze or wind. I have a Reactor but only use it if it’s really cold and nasty and that’s not often down here.
View attachment 474646View attachment 474647View attachment 474648
That Sterno inferno pot looks awesome/unique. What was the weight of just the pot? Also, what is that strap/tie-down system you have? I like the idea of keeping all that connected with the x cup.

OP
B
Weights for reference - I quit carrying hot lips and just take the x-mug for coffee......compared to min weight of windburner at 15oz+, I like the "put together" system more for my needs. I'm about <15oz with a fuel canister and using hot lips instead of the x-mug.

Lots of different approaches in this thread, which is about when I switched up for the lighter approach based on what lots of other guys were doing.

ITEMWEIGHT (OZ)
toaks 750 ml
3.6​
PR deluxe
2.9​
Ti Spoon
0.4​
x-mug
2.1​
hot lips
0.3​
DCF stuff sack
0.14​
SUBTOTAL
9.44​
small fuel canister
7.4​
TOTAL
16.84​
Thanks for providing this breakdown, extremely helpful and insightful. That is extremely lightweight. I like the idea of keeping the whole system with a canister of around 15oz. Thanks for the article as well... solid information in there.