Backcountry Bear Baiting

This will be my first time ever baiting for bears and I’ll be doing it in Central Idaho.

I’ll be backpacking in a barrel and the bait, probably .5 to 1.5 miles depending on where I feel is best.

Do you guys think a 55 gallon barrel is too big to get back that deep ? If so, what size are you guys running ?

I have read that most people prefer tree stands, but am leaning towards a ground blind and further away sits. Should I just bite the bullet and buy a stand ?

Really any advice for newbies would be nice as well, I have no mentorship in this area and am learning as I go via the internet.

OP
IDMuleyKid
This will be my first time ever baiting for bears and I’ll be doing it in Central Idaho.

I’ll be backpacking in a barrel and the bait, probably .5 to 1.5 miles depending on where I feel is best.

Do you guys think a 55 gallon barrel is too big to get back that deep ? If so, what size are you guys running ?

I have read that most people prefer tree stands, but am leaning towards a ground blind and further away sits. Should I just bite the bullet and buy a stand ?

Really any advice for newbies would be nice as well, I have no mentorship in this area and am learning as I go via the internet.
I’ll add that I’m starting the process now and can promise I’m not half-assing any of this, I just trust you Rokslide guys for the best advice and shortening of my learning curve.

Matt5266

WKR
Idaho guy here. Spent quite a bit of time bear hunting.

I'll start out by saying I have done everything you mentioned so here's my 2 cents

If your archery hunting tree stand for sure. Rifle it's either or but you could build a good blind 100 to 200 yards away.

I have packed a barrel in before but it sucks. Its better to just pack the bait in and cover it with logs/rocks to try to keep the birds and small critters out. Invest in a trail cam if you dont have one to try to pattern them and see what bears are using the bait and what times.

OP
IDMuleyKid
Idaho guy here. Spent quite a bit of time bear hunting.

I'll start out by saying I have done everything you mentioned so here's my 2 cents

If your archery hunting tree stand for sure. Rifle it's either or but you could build a good blind 100 to 200 yards away.

I have packed a barrel in before but it sucks. Its better to just pack the bait in and cover it with logs/rocks to try to keep the birds and small critters out. Invest in a trail cam if you dont have one to try to pattern them and see what bears are using the bait and what times.
Thanks for the reply and advice.

I figured hauling a 55 gallon tub would be hell, but haven’t really seen other ways of doing so.

I’ll have to watch some YouTube and experiment with keeping birds and such off the bait.

Definitely planning on a satellite camera and nice ground blind.

bergie

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the reply and advice.

I figured hauling a 55 gallon tub would be hell, but haven’t really seen other ways of doing so.

I’ll have to watch some YouTube and experiment with keeping birds and such off the bait.

Definitely planning on a satellite camera and nice ground blind.
Barrels are nice but unless you have one that has a door that closes at night I have found that there is really no benefit. I have one and it adds a bunch of weight, I only pack it in a quarter mile or so. Crows will easily get in if they want to and those damn bears will drag out way more than they eat at a time anyway, giving the birds easier access. I agree with Matt, just dig a hole and cover with some logs. Dump fry oil everywhere and if you're away from roads, in central Idaho, bait it often cuz you'll have more bears hitting the bait then you can keep fed.

OP
IDMuleyKid
Barrels are nice but unless you have one that has a door that closes at night I have found that there is really no benefit. I have one and it adds a bunch of weight, I only pack it in a quarter mile or so. Crows will easily get in if they want to and those damn bears will drag out way more than they eat at a time anyway, giving the birds easier access. I agree with Matt, just dig a hole and cover with some logs. Dump fry oil everywhere and if you're away from roads, in central Idaho, bait it often cuz you'll have more bears hitting the bait then you can keep fed.
I like the idea of digging a hole and covering with logs/brush.

And hopefully bears are everywhere, it’d be amazing to get one or maybe even two of the site.

To my knowledge, it’d be the first bear anyone in my recent family history has killed.

cwitt

FNG
All of the above is good advice.

Barrels can be nice but can also be more of a pain than they’re worth, both due to bears trying to roll them off and the physical act of packing them in and out after a season of pouring grease, syrup, etc in them. A good hole against a stump or rock can be as good or better.

I have been baiting for a few years now and am planning on setting another this spring, also in central ID. If you’re interested, send me a pm, and we can bounce some ideas or even team up. Keeping baits stocked can get expensive and be a ton of work if you’re doing it solo.

jhm2023

WKR
I'm in Alaska, not Idaho, but I've packed in a 55 gallon steel drum plenty of times over the years typically over a mile into non-motorized areas. 35 gallon drums are nice too, but the food doesn't always last long enough to make it until my next time off work. A fully stocked 55 gallon drum will generally make it from weekend to weekend on an active bait site. I've also done the hole at the base of tree method as well and I find that the barrel is worth the effort. It keeps the food dry, makes it last longer and makes the bear stand in a good shooting position. This of course depends on the correct barrel design and setup. I cut a 5-6 inch hole in the side of the barrel. I then hang it on its side with a chain between two trees 20 yards from my stand or blind with the hole facing 90 degrees off the shot angle. This forces the bear to stand broadside if he wants to eat food and the most they can do is swing the barrel a little bit, but it stays in place. Keeping the food dry is important to keep it from getting moldy. The smaller opening makes bears work for it and eat slower making the food last longer when you're not on site, and making them stay in front of you longer so you can be picky about your shot and assessing the bear. Jamming the opening as tight as you can with large sticks or small logs keeps all other critters except bears out of your food too. Once you have a productive bait site, stick to it year after year. Bears remember food sources for many years and will return and teach their cubs about it too. Good luck.20180522_202157.jpg

Last edited:
OP
IDMuleyKid
I'm in Alaska, not Idaho, but I've packed in a 55 gallon steel drum plenty of times over the years typically over a mile into non-motorized areas. 35 gallon drums are nice too, but the food doesn't always last long enough to make it until my next time off work. A fully stocked 55 gallon drum will generally make it from weekend to weekend on an active bait site. I've also done the hole at the base of tree method as well and I find that the barrel is worth the effort. It keeps the food dry, makes it last longer and makes the bear stand in a good shooting position. This of course depends on the correct barrel design and setup. I cut a 5-6 inch hole in the side of the barrel. I then hang it on its side with a chain between two trees 20 yards from my stand or blind with the hole facing 90 degrees off the shot angle. This forces the bear to stand broadside if he wants to eat food and the most they can do is swing the barrel a little bit, but it stays in place. Keeping the food dry is important to keep it from getting moldy. The smaller opening makes bears work for it and eat slower making the food last longer when you're not on site, and making them stay in front of you longer so you can be picky about your shot and assessing the bear. Jamming the opening as tight as you can with large sticks or small logs keeps all other critters except bears out of your food too. Once you have a productive bait site, stick to it year after year. Bears remember food sources for many years and will return and teach their cubs about it too. Good
Thanks for the awesome advice, I think I’ll tough it out and pack the metal drum in.

I’m young and enjoy the physical pain of a hike lol.

How full do you usually fill a horizontal 55 gallon drum ? Are you filling so it’s past the hole in food or nearly parallel with hole.

Also generational use by bears sounds like epic,

Bring a small barrel in, and do both. Defiantly pro's and cons. Baiting bears in ID and AK on paper seem the same, but very different at the same time.

Ryansven

FNG
You can get by with a heavy duty plastic 55 gal drum and save weight. Pack it in on a frame pack. I have done that lots of times with no issues. Drill circular holes to chain to tree. I keep bait. Light take a little bit of really really rank stinky meat. Then use a lot of popcorn. You can flavor it if you like or add smells to it. But super light and bears love it. I have done it in multiple states! Good luck!

You can get by with a heavy duty plastic 55 gal drum and save weight. Pack it in on a frame pack. I have done that lots of times with no issues. Drill circular holes to chain to tree. I keep bait. Light take a little bit of really really rank stinky meat. Then use a lot of popcorn. You can flavor it if you like or add smells to it. But super light and bears love it. I have done it in multiple states! Good luck!
Plastic is a no go in ID

Matt5266

WKR
Agreed you cant use plastic in ID. Not to mention I've had big bears rip metal barrels off of trees and flatten them.... I can only imagine how long a plastic barrel would last.

jhm2023

WKR
Thanks for the awesome advice, I think I’ll tough it out and pack the metal drum in.

I’m young and enjoy the physical pain of a hike lol.

How full do you usually fill a horizontal 55 gallon drum ? Are you filling so it’s past the hole in food or nearly parallel with hole.

Also generational use by bears sounds like epic,
I fill it as full as I can without it spilling out. Stick your hand or a stick in the barrel and push the food back and to the sides to create more room as well.

Agreed you cant use plastic in ID. Not to mention I've had big bears rip metal barrels off of trees and flatten them.... I can only imagine how long a plastic barrel would last.

Plastic barrels are pretty flipping strong. Sometimes you get some chewing on them, but if you set the barrel up correctly, very little wear and tear on them.

Matt5266

WKR
Plastic barrels are pretty flipping strong. Sometimes you get some chewing on them, but if you set the barrel up correctly, very little wear and tear on them.
Interesting. Much lighter for sure. Maybe one day it will be a option in ID

Matt5266

WKR
" All bait containers, materials, and any structure constructed at bait sites must be removed within seven days after the close of the season."