Smaller bait barrels suggestions?

bisblue

WKR
Hey folks,
I love in Idaho and was debating bear baiting this year. It's pretty active in terms of baiting in my area and there is great hunting very close to my house.

I was thinking about packing bait with my llamas to get away from the roads and trails most folks use. I know I have to use a metal container smaller than 55 gallons.

Have folks used any smaller barrels that would be easier to pack? I'm assuming I'll be packing the barrel and the llamas the bait. I've got a good exo pack.
Compress_20230126_211855_5391.jpg

Macro

Lil-Rokslider
Personally, I'd stick with 1 drum and use poly instead of steel. I've used both, and now only use poly. Cut holes big enough to pass a chain through on each end and a small hole (6" or less). The smaller hole will keep them from emptying it out too fast, and the poly drum is a lot easier to haul in on foot than a steel one.

Fuenstock

FNG
I’ve used 15 gallon metal barrels I found on Craig’s list and I had my welder buddy fix them up to bait.
Worked good enough but it toke some trail and error to come up with a barrel configuration and bait that the bears would not eat thru to quickly.
I usually solo hunt and like to pack the barrels in farther then most would so it works for me.

OP
bisblue

bisblue

WKR
Personally, I'd stick with 1 drum and use poly instead of steel. I've used both, and now only use poly. Cut holes big enough to pass a chain through on each end and a small hole (6" or less). The smaller hole will keep them from emptying it out too fast, and the poly drum is a lot easier to haul in on foot than a steel one.
Thanks, good to know. It's my understanding metal is the only legal material in Idaho.

I have noticed that some of the barrels are just lighter than others. Big barrels can be a pain to pack, but the extra capacity can mean packing bait less often.

Janesy

FNG
We switched from 55Gal to 30 Gal and never looked back. We can not leave them out all year. Running multiple bait sites means you can fit more barrels in the truck and they are so much easier to carry in to uncut bait sites.

bigunit

Lil-Rokslider
Empty 30lb propane tanks are easy to find and would work great. Same with pressure tanks out of plumbing systems once you remove the rubber bladder.