Back to Compound. New Bow needed.

applepie_eli

Lil-Rokslider
I've been shooting recurve for the last 5 or 6 years. While I enjoy it, I am ready to try a compound bow again. I haven't shot a compound since I was 15 probably, and that was an old 90s Hoyt. Looking for a new bow under $600 if I can. I was originally thinking something like a Bear Whitetail Legend 2 since those seem to be popular at my local shop. But then I came across the Prime Logic on closeout for $450 online from a reputable website. It's available in every draw length and every camo pattern (I don't really care about that) but only available in #60 draw weights. I'm a bigger guy but that doesn't mean I'm real strong...my recurve is #44 pounds and that feels about right for a recurve for me. Ideally I'll go try some out at a shop but before I do I'd like some more opinions.

So 3 questions.

1. What would be the better bow? A prime logic (I think it's 2018 model) or a new Bear Whitetail Legend?

2. Is 60# going to be enough draw weight for a 6' 250 pound guy?

3. Would either of these be good first bows or should I be looking elsewhere?

1. Which ever you like better really. They are both great bows from good companies. Personally I'd take the Prime hands down all day every day but that's just me, something about Bear compounds I just don't like and I've been considering a Prime for my next bow.

2. Yes.

3. Both of those are great bows! Almost every major manufacturer has a bow in your price range, if you have a shop you can go to I'd just try out all the bows you can in your budget. There's not really a "bad" bow from the big name companies, it's just about personal fit and what you like.

Edit: don't rule out used. You can find lots of good deals on used bows, especially those in your budget because the mid-tier bows tend to have a wide range of draw weight and length adjustability (e.g. the Bowtech Convergence)

Sent from my SM-G996U1 using Tapatalk

Being unfamiliar with them, I wouldn't really buy a Prime online unless you have a local dealer. I wouldn't recommend to many to buy online for something they don't have service locally for be it any brand. Most manufacturers won't ship parts to a customer, only dealers.

60# is plenty, especially considering 6' you likely have a 29" draw length so you will have lots of energy put into the arrow.

I think all manufacturers are producing good stuff now. I'd just find something you like, be it new or used. More important to find a shop to work with that you trust than what bow you are shooting.

OP
applepie_eli

applepie_eli

Lil-Rokslider
Being unfamiliar with them, I wouldn't really buy a Prime online unless you have a local dealer. I wouldn't recommend to many to buy online for something they don't have service locally for be it any brand. Most manufacturers won't ship parts to a customer, only dealers.

60# is plenty, especially considering 6' you likely have a 29" draw length so you will have lots of energy put into the arrow.

I think all manufacturers are producing good stuff now. I'd just find something you like, be it new or used. More important to find a shop to work with that you trust than what bow you are shooting.
It looks like I do have a Prime dealer 20 minutes from me. So in general I can't just walk into any shop that's not a dealer and have them work on my bow? Like I said this is all new to me. It's basically my first compound bow.

1. Personally I would get the Bear Whitetail Legend. It is a solo cam so it will have a very smooth draw cycle. Which will be nice for you since you are getting into compound bows.

2. Don't quite know what you mean by this. I'm 17, 5'8" 180lbs, I pull back 70 lbs. So you should be able to pull 60 lbs fairly easily. And you can shoot just about anything with a 60lb draw weight.

3. Like I said the Bear Whitetail Legend will be a great first bow for you as it is a solo cam and will have a smoother draw cycle. And since the bow is at your local shop they will be familiar with the bow and you can bring it to them for all of your needs.

It looks like I do have a Prime dealer 20 minutes from me. So in general I can't just walk into any shop that's not a dealer and have them work on my bow? Like I said this is all new to me. It's basically my first compound bow.

Most shops will work on any bow.

Getting strings and cables is easy, if the bow gets damaged and you need something, that's where it can get more difficult. If you drop it and damage a cam or a limb, the manufacturer isn't going to send parts to you, they want them going thru the dealers.

But if you have a Prime dealer close it shouldn't be an issue.

OP
applepie_eli

applepie_eli

Lil-Rokslider
Another question. Bear offers a lot of "RTH" or "Ready to hunt" packages on their bows. Is the equipment that comes on them (sight, stabilizer, etc.) any good or is it just cheap stuff they put on so they can say it's ready to hunt? In other words, if that stuff is cheap and likely to be upgraded, does it make more sense to buy the bow bare instead?

Get yourself set up on archery talk to buy on their classifieds, hundreds of bows with and without accessories get sold there for way cheaper than you will find at a typical shop. I haven't bought a new bow in over 20 years just keep buying used.

Buy the bare bow if you don't like the components. If you like the components it's likely a fair deal, but they are cheap. I have broken a bunch of quivers, so I'm particular on them. The sights aren't going to be anything fancy. It's enough to get you started.

The accessories can easily double the price of a bow, tho they don't have to.

Another question. Bear offers a lot of "RTH" or "Ready to hunt" packages on their bows. Is the equipment that comes on them (sight, stabilizer, etc.) any good or is it just cheap stuff they put on so they can say it's ready to hunt? In other words, if that stuff is cheap and likely to be upgraded, does it make more sense to buy the bow bare instead?
It's functional, I'd buy most RTH bows off the shelf and hunt around home forever with it but if it's something you're taking on a long/far/expensive trip I'd at least put some money into a solid quiver and a sight with 3rd axis adjustment if you're going to be shooting steep angles.

I think a good approach if you're new is to buy the RTH model and then upgrade as you start to run into things that annoy you (or as they break). Then, when you do upgrade, go one piece at a time and buy the more top of the line stuff. Those accessories will last you through multiple bows.

Sent from my SM-G996U1 using Tapatalk