Baby/Child Carrier Packs

Sea Wolf

Lil-Rokslider
I'm about to have my first kid. The thought often crosses my mind of packing her around until her legs are strong enough to carry herself. So I'm looking for a kid carrier. I have a while to do around.

What kid carrying packs have folks used that worked well? Anything new on the horizon from known companies?

TxLite

WKR
I'm about to have my first kid. The thought often crosses my mind of packing her around until her legs are strong enough to carry herself. So I'm looking for a kid carrier. I have a while to do around.

What kid carrying packs have folks used that worked well? Anything new on the horizon from known companies?
We got a Deuter from REI. It worked fine for day trips

Vaultman

WKR
We had a REI one too. That kid is now 17, so it has been a while. It was good for the day stuff and it lasted us 3 kids. But I have no idea what is current and durable.

Big Congrats! It'll change your life.

Rockchuck

WKR
Its been years now, but I couldn't find one that would fit me comfortably with a 21" torso and provide any lifter angle. If you run into that, get a cheap one, gut the suspension and lash it to a frame that actually fits you.

Here was ours lashed to a Duplex frame. I left the kickstand that was on the kid carrier so we could still stand it up.

20141004_134136.jpg

OP
Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf

Lil-Rokslider
Its been years now, but I couldn't find one that would fit me comfortably with a 21" torso and provide any lifter angle. If you run into that, get a cheap one, gut the suspension and lash it to a frame that actually fits you.

Here was ours lashed to a Duplex frame. I left the kickstand that was on the kid carrier so we could still stand it up.

View attachment 721932
That's a great idea! I'd much rather set up the frame I already have and that fits. Or better yet, have an argument for getting an Ark frame!

We used a osprey and it worked great

Sent from my SM-S921U using Tapatalk

Osprey seems like the go to. A lot of folks recommend that. Was it comfy during longer and more strenuous hikes?

Osprey is nice because you can adjust the length of it. I wouldn't hike 10 miles in it but we made plenty of hikes up mountains just fine
20b0c6df79b47c36a8cb1e1ed9e454c9.jpg

Sent from my SM-S921U using Tapatalk

guitarpreston

Lil-Rokslider
Starting looking for one myself. Usually run my kid in a chest holder but those little hands are fast and snatch everything! Kept me from hanging trail cams yesterday lol

TheM1DoesMyTalking

Lil-Rokslider
I'm about to have my first kid.
Congrats and welcome to parenthood!

My wife and I use a range of carriers depending on each kid's age and the activity.

Moby wrap - Great for newborns, can be worn front/back with different wraps
Beco - Faster on/off than wrap style, good for basically newborns up through a few years old, our most used carrier. You can wear them on your front and carry a backpack or wear them on your back and have your bino harness on.
Osprey Poco - Our kids have been ready for this pack at around 5-6 months old. They need to have head control and be able to sit up on their own to be prepared to ride in this pack since they aren't held close to your body like the first two. Carries the kids like royalty, not as nice of a hip belt as my EXO but it is adjustable and fits us both.

sndmn11

WKR
A Craigslist Deuter/Kelty/Osprey/ etc strapped to your hunting frame is the way to go.

Should be able to do the same thing with any pack you'd haul me at with.

OP
Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf

Lil-Rokslider
Congrats and welcome to parenthood!

My wife and I use a range of carriers depending on each kid's age and the activity.

Moby wrap - Great for newborns, can be worn front/back with different wraps
Beco - Faster on/off than wrap style, good for basically newborns up through a few years old, our most used carrier. You can wear them on your front and carry a backpack or wear them on your back and have your bino harness on.
Osprey Poco - Our kids have been ready for this pack at around 5-6 months old. They need to have head control and be able to sit up on their own to be prepared to ride in this pack since they aren't held close to your body like the first two. Carries the kids like royalty, not as nice of a hip belt as my EXO but it is adjustable and fits us both.
Dude this is awesome, super good info . Thank you!

A Craigslist Deuter/Kelty/Osprey/ etc strapped to your hunting frame is the way to go.

Should be able to do the same thing with any pack you'd haul me at with.
I really like this idea, kinda what I was hoping for really. I also like the idea of keeping the kickstand to set the pack and kid down to do whatever and have them contained.

TheM1DoesMyTalking

Lil-Rokslider
Dude this is awesome, super good info . Thank you!

I really like this idea, kinda what I was hoping for really. I also like the idea of keeping the kickstand to set the pack and kid down to do whatever and have them contained.
That does seem like the best of both worlds for a backpack carrier. The hybrid of hunting frame/belt with kid carrier. I'm going to have to try that.

Nine Banger

Lil-Rokslider
Shoot2HuntU
We used the Osprey too. I toted my first kid all over with it. We would go out in the rain much to mom's dismay but to this day he is unbothered by rain. We gave it away to another family.

I used this contraption once for a quail and chukkar hunt with dogs and briars, etc. It worked great. I never used it again. They grow up so fast as the old cliche says.

I'd be willing to send it to someone if they want to try it, it might cost $20 to ship. I'd say age window is 3-5.

1718070175634.png

IdahoFF

FNG
I have a Deuter from REI that my son has been cruising in since he was about 8mo old. He's now 3 and still loves is it. This last summer I rigged it to my SG Krux frame and is now way more comfortable since he's gotten heavier.

BKM

FNG
For infants a Mobi wrap can’t be beat. It’s takes a bit of practice to get it down but once you do it fantastic.

Used as a front carrier your baby can be fully supported including head. You can literally go upside down with no issues even at the newborn age.

It’s great for anything from a hike to cleaning the house. It fits snug so your baby is basically swaddled tight to your chest. Totally hands free once there in.

Both my kids had countless hours snoozing in one. Also If you love just being close to your baby as I did it just feels like your snuggling the entire time you ware it.

Ninjaman

FNG

Norrøna Barnemeis is great if you can find one. I have carried 2 of my sons in it. I had an Osprey Poco for my third son. I was good but not as good as the Norrøna. But I prefer minimalistic stuff when it comes to going outside. Less stuff to break.​