Aziak Backcountry Lite Tripod

ChrisAU

WKR
He had the center post down in the lowest spot with set screw tight. This isn't amateur hour over here :D
Here is a youtube link to a video of it..

Talked to him last night, mine certainly doesn't have that much play. It has a little if I push it with some force but nothing I'd be worried about. Disappointing that they wouldn't offer an exchange. I think some electrical tape on the "flats" of the center column may help, shouldn't have to do that though.

I’ve been talking to Rydell pretty much this whole time trying to come up with solutions. I was able to fit a strip of electrical tape on each cut out of the center post and still slide it into the bushing so that’s how loose the tolerance is in the bushing.. but the plastic bushing has sharp edges on the bottom so it eventually peels the tape off when trying to lower the center column. I have permanent solutions I could do to fix it and tighten up the tolerance but honestly think I’m going to just send it back. Rydell wants to see it and I don’t think I need to modify a tripod that cost this much. Hopefully it’s just a one off issue, it’s a great tripod otherwise, no issues with any of the other components. It ticks all the boxes for a backcountry super light, compact tripod for me. Aziak is a great company and Rydell is as real as the come.

cski100

Lil-Rokslider
Received mine this week and is a really nice compact tripod. No play on the center coulumn. Looking forward to testing it out.

This thing is pretty awesome. The center column shape is genius. Much more solid than what I’ve been using, crazy that it’s less than 4 oz heavier than my other setup (pictured). Could make it lighter with the stubby center column but I like using the center to fine adjust height when glassing with binos.
And far more stable/capable than the little Aoka that we’ve all been enamored with the last few years.
I’m planning on running the Aziak tripod with the Tricer LP head for lightweight trips.

OP
sr80

sr80

WKR
And far more stable/capable than the little Aoka that we’ve all been enamored with the last few years.
I’m planning on running the Aziak tripod with the Tricer LP head for lightweight trips.
sounds like a great light setup. We think the tripod in the video i posted is a bad one, ive seen a couple other guys' and they dont seem to have that amount of slop. I went ahead and ordered the new slik 632 CF.

Just to update this thread… I sent my tripod back to Rydell so he could see it before we decided which route to go. After 2 weeks in the mail (thanks Canada post) it finally arrived and was confirmed to be a bad unit. I was sent a new one which arrived 5 days later and it’s spot on, solid, has very little to no wobble in the center post. I’m happy with this new one and looking forward to getting it up in the mountains.

ChrisAU

WKR
Thinking about taking a dremel to the head of mine, I’d really like my Wiser pan head handle to fold down in line with the legs. Am I crazy?

C879582E-7BEE-4A59-ABC1-A98DA5DFF35A.jpeg

4th_point

WKR
I checked one out today. It had noticable play in the center column. Forgot to try the head.

ChrisAU

WKR
Alright I did it to the small one - here’s before and after. Still unsure if I want to hack the other post up.

568AEC78-0461-4FB4-8B17-190A7F8183E7.jpeg

A65DBA50-3029-4318-97E8-C8F13944EF2B.jpeg

90B068F1-5A2F-4079-814B-B8A2CBD3B832.jpeg

murf45

WKR
It’s well built and well thought out. The center post has grooves so the tripod packs down a little bit smaller. It is noticeably smaller and lighter then my slik 634.
I’ve taken the tripod out on a few scouting trips. It is a sitting only tripod. I had it paired with an outdoorsman pan head and a Kowa 883. I noticed with a 5-10mph wind I had some noticeable shake in the scope and much more so with the center post up a little ways.
For the size and weight I want to love it. I plan to try it with a 65mm spotter to see if it makes a significant difference in performance. I’ll try to report back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChrisAU

WKR
@ChrisAU @sr80 @acgmoulton @murf45

How is this tripod and/or head working?

I think for someone coming from the Aoka setup (like myself) it is revolutionary. Multitudes more stabile for a penalty of 3-4 oz. For someone used to a bigger tripod and coming down to the Aziak for weight you won’t be as impressed with the function, but the stability loss from some of the 2-2.5 pound tripods out there is negligible IMO and well worth the saved weight for backpacking. I only have limited time playing with it at the range so far, but it will be my setup I take elk hunting this fall.

Just got back from a mule deer scouting trip with it. Short sample size, still need more time with it but it’s a nice little compact tripod. Fits in the pack easy, easy to deploy. It weighs 1.75lbs with my ulanzi head so it’s light and you will notice it if you’re used to a 3+ lb tripod. I think you hafta understand you’re using a ultralight tripod, in the wind you’re going to have to attach weight to the hook to stabilize it and try to keep your centre post as low as possible. Any movement from you when touching the tripod will be magnified but i think so far its weight to performance curve is really good. I’m gonna be using it on my 10 day mulie hunt in 2 weeks so I’ll really get a feel for it then..

Got one with the kowa 553 and Aziak’s rotation ring. Love it so far. The center column is very tight. Their ball head and pan work great as well.

Has anybody tried to shoot their rifle off of the tripod ? Seems right in the weight range on the hatch and mdt cyke bipods…