AZ resident deer help needed

jonny5

Lil-Rokslider
Howdy All,

My bro in law is an AZ resident and is looking to get a deer tag. I took him into the Peaks area (near Flagstaff) last year on his first hunt for cow elk and he was lucky enough to be successful. Now he's hooked!

Here's my ask. What units should I have him apply in with 0 points for a rifle buck deer hunt? He'd be happy with any legal buck. Preferably in an area where he could see lots of deer each day.

Any and all suggestions will be welcome!

Thanks,

copple2

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

what part of the state? northern southern eastern or western. There are tons of units that you will see lots of deer and have great draw odds. Trophy potential will be lower, but a legal buck should be able to be had with a little bit of work.

OP
jonny5

jonny5

Lil-Rokslider
He lives in the Phoenix area, but is willing to get a tag anywhere. He's more familiar with the northern part of the state. If he can see game daily, and get a chance at a legal buck, he'd be stoked! Trophy potential is not important.

You would probably be best to do a coues Rifle tag as many units have left overs anyways for certain seasons. Mule deer rifle tag in decent areas you're pretty much going to rely on the random with 0 points. Coues are addicting as anything though And always a fun hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
jonny5

jonny5

Lil-Rokslider
Cous sounds like a fun hunt. I'll have to look into those units. Any suggestions on units to start with?

RoJo

WKR
Check out the 2016 drawing odds/success rates starting on page 44 of the 2017-18 Arizona Hunting Regulations. It can be very helpful in picking hunts to apply for. There are plenty of hunts with decent draw odds, even with no points, especially if he is ok with hunting WT's instead of mule deer. For example, the late general hunt in 37B (any antlered deer) had draw odds of 72%, which isn't bad. And some of the WT hunts are 100%.

OP
jonny5

jonny5

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the ideas, all! He's put in for the draw...we will see if he draws.