AZ outfitters

OP
In2dmtns

In2dmtns

FNG
Congrats on the draw. My friend puts in for that unit almost every year, and we always see a lot of elk in there. Not the biggest bulls, but still pretty decent. I don't know anyone who works that unit specifically, but I spoke to a guy named Patrick McCarty who runs a service in 8/9/10 and he seemed like a great guy. If he doesn't run a service there, maybe he knows someone who does. Super down to earth dude.

Congrats on the draw. My friend puts in for that unit almost every year, and we always see a lot of elk in there. Not the biggest bulls, but still pretty decent. I don't know anyone who works that unit specifically, but I spoke to a guy named Patrick McCarty who runs a service in 8/9/10 and he seemed like a great guy. If he doesn't run a service there, maybe he knows someone who does. Super down to earth dude.
Appreciate the input.

Mudslinger

Lil-Rokslider
Could also try Hunter Weems with Arizona Custom Hunts. If he doesn't hunt that area, he could probably help you into someone that does.

rgrx1276

Lil-Rokslider
25 years ago hunted with jared Nichols ... outstanding in every way. Drew a tag in unit 6 this year and as I have limited time I'm considering using him again....

25 years ago hunted with jared Nichols ... outstanding in every way. Drew a tag in unit 6 this year and as I have limited time I'm considering using him again....

Some big bulls roaming Unit 6A this winter. My outfitter down there found a half dozen that'll go 350 to 390. You're in for a good hunt.

Gila

WKR
Easy to hate on others. Glad people don't judge me for my past
Obviously they took an animal from Tribal lands. It was a misdemeanor. The Gov’t doesn’t give any leeway to outfitters for trespassing. He admitted he was wrong and paid for it.

I know one of A3’s guides or he was their guide, it has been a few years now since I talked to him. The kid is top notch and filled a governor’s tag….with a monster elk. There is a difference between just finding a bull and walking out with a nice 6x6. If you are lucky enough to win a trophy tag in a public draw, hiring an outfitter makes more than good sense. Some guys get out there during the rut DIY and score, but there are more that don’t. Unless you live close by and have unlimited time to pre-scout a new area, the odds are not in your favor.

mhedlund

FNG
I got a scouting package from HPO a few years back. They were great. Good intel. Have a great hunt!

OP
In2dmtns

In2dmtns

FNG
Obviously they took an animal from Tribal lands. It was a misdemeanor. The Gov’t doesn’t give any leeway to outfitters for trespassing. He admitted he was wrong and paid for it.

I know one of A3’s guides or he was their guide, it has been a few years now since I talked to him. The kid is top notch and filled a governor’s tag….with a monster elk. There is a difference between just finding a bull and walking out with a nice 6x6. If you are lucky enough to win a trophy tag in a public draw, hiring an outfitter makes more than good sense. Some guys get out there during the rut DIY and score, but there are more that don’t. Unless you live close by and have unlimited time to pre-scout a new area, the odds are not in your favor.
Exactly my thoughts especially knowing I will most likely never draw the tag again.

OP
In2dmtns

In2dmtns

FNG
Ok so I promised to check in regardless of outcome, so here we go.
Let me start off by saying thanks to all those that responded and gave their input.

I will start off by saying my outfitter choice was Shadow Valley Outfitters.
There really was only one other after talking to about four in total that I would have gone with. After talking with him he assured me that this was not a unit which his team specialized in, so he was not taking the hunt. Which honestly said a lot about him and his operation.
Two of the other outfitters I spoke with left such a bad taste, I would have just gone and hoped for the best. But then I spoke with Pat and then Ben of SVO. Very nice, direct, down to earth people that were not immediately telling me how big a bull they would get me.
To recap I have experience elk hunting I have been hunting CO for 24 years some with some success. Also I have zero experience with outfitters or guides so I have nothing to compare this too. This was guide only for 10 days and as a side note my two brothers went with for use as I needed them, helping scout, pack, whatever.

I will say all in all I guess the experience was ok. The one thing that kind of stands out for me, and maybe this is standard procedure. There really was very little interaction with the ones who run it at all. And zero communication during or after the hunt. Maybe it was just the tag I had, I realize the 9s etc are where everyone’s attention goes.

The first evening of scouting was good saw several elk and 4/5 bulls, the biggest being close to the 300 mark. The next morning got to the same spot a few bugles before sunup same thing saw a few elk. Then as we were about to head out we heard a bugle not far from us, so we headed that way then continued glassing. I heard something walking not far away some cows were about to drop off the edge where we were, then steps out a tank.

Beautiful 6x6 huge to me I immediately got my guide’s attention we were both dealing with a good shot of adrenaline. Our best guess on him was over 340 in my book he was THE one. I was finished looking.

Opening morning we were in the exact same spot two hours before shooting light. As the morning progresses, we are still hunting with almost no bugle activity. We get on one bull then another, but this one makes us stop and really make a decision. With two bulls out in front of us (the biggest 290ish, which by the way is about my best bull) turns and heads right towards me never looking up finally stopping at 35 yards. I looked back and the look in both our eyes said let him go so I did. As I watched him walk away the words of my elk hunting mentor echoed in my mind, “don’t ever pass on the first day something you would shoot on the last”.

We heard a bugle that we are sure is him we zeroed in closing quickly we are certain they are bedding we decide to ease that way and see what happens. It’s steep and rocky which equaled noise. Two and a half hours later we have to be in the 150 yard range at this point with good wind but it was starting to swirl, we knew that was trouble. After the final do or die push we were there. Immediately we freeze COW, she is bedded looking right at us, we decided to rake and maybe he would come investigate. The cows moved looking then as the wind swirled, they had enough. We saw a big body leaving with them but couldn’t confirm or get a shot at him. This was to set the stage for how things would go with four other encounters with shooter bulls.
IMG_9894.JPGIMG_E5134.JPG
Day after day we were into elk, after talking with others it seemed we were into more than most. We were hunting hard waking at 3:45 every morning covering on average 6.5 miles a day. Out of 20 total hunts we saw elk in all but three hunts and I think heard them on those days. I had multiple small bulls and cows in bow range. To speed this story up we had four more shots at bulls in the 260-290 range and passed.

We got on two more big bulls that did not work out as well. Had a couple hunts blow by other hunters. Another hunt where all the cows with the herd bull stepped out an fed perfectly from 30-60 yards then the big bull never stepped out. Frustration was beginning to get to us. The rut was very hit and miss usually early break of day bugles then all quiet at sunup. Very few if any in the evenings, and if they did it was right at dark. Through most of the first week we were still seeing bachelor groups of bulls.

On the morning of ninth day the rut activity picked up that morning and we were into them alone this time making plays on several bulls. Finally got after two of the nastier sounding bugles and topped a small rise, there he is 75 yards coming our way. A 6x7 somewhere in the 320-330+ range walks right at us behind a tree 38 yards I draw if he takes two steps left he’s done at 40 yards. He goes right (no shot) and disappears we wait thinking he is circling around he doesn’t he’s gone.

The next day turned out uneventful, but we did find a small bull someone had lost. We discussed extending the hunt until the end but ultimately, I decided to finish out the last four days on my own. We shook hands as I thanked him for all his hard work then relived all the close calls, while second guessing a few decisions we had made. Then had an open discussion about strategy for the next four days. He was going to continue to stay as he had a friend’s son with an early rifle tag and several people were coming in to help out.

The next two days I go it alone while my brothers are checking other spots. Same results close but no shots. The rut seems to be picking up for sure.

My brother and I go into an area and split up to wait out the evening and things get crazy all around us but its late. We meet back at the road with bulls going off in the moonlight, we sit and listen to them for a good while. The plan is right here in the morning I have one day left before we leave. I pull in alone that morning about an hour before shooting light bulls were going nuts. At day break I wind up on a really big bull raking at the break of day and completely blow it and miss the shot. Busted by his cows and no time to range I just miss judged it or flat choked either way I missed clean. I wind up getting back on him three other times as he is heading towards the edge but can’t get a shot. As I sat there disgusted, I heard more elk coming look back and see a cow then a bull. I never even thought about it I drew, shot, solid hit. He takes off I watch him fall at under 50 yards. While not a big bull or even my best I felt lucky to have gotten him, he was hard earned.BZNE4570.JPG

It really was one of the better elk hunts I have been on. I could have used some luck on the big ones.

My Guide was great in my opinion. Really good guy that I believe genuinely wanted us to kill a giant. He was efficient, motivated and even motivated me, also he always had a positive attitude which meant a lot. I give him an A for sure.

So that’s my story if anyone would like further details I didn’t cover PM me and I will be glad to talk with you.

Thanks again to all who gave their advice and opinion.

Good Luck to all this season.

RGIMG_8889.JPG

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
Thanks for the update, and the level of detail. The only part that threw me was “I will say all in all I guess the experience was ok.” So I kept expecting some sort of outfitter vs hunter dispute. To me the trip sounds amazing!

Congratulations!

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Arizona is a such a fun elk hunting state. Sounds like you had some excellent encounters and ended up with a good bull!

Congrats on a successful trip.

OP
In2dmtns

In2dmtns

FNG
Thanks for the update, and the level of detail. The only part that threw me was “I will say all in all I guess the experience was ok.” So I kept expecting some sort of outfitter vs hunter dispute. To me the trip sounds amazing!

Cong
Sorry no not at all I think we got along really well.
I think maybe I miss worded it. And honestly even though I have been on many elk hunts. Maybe in my head I tried to make my first guided hunt like the shows where your guide blows a call and big bulls come charging in, that's on me I knew better.
Truth is I know it as well as most all of you elk hunting is damn hard, no matter where you are. But my experience was unforgettable AZ is a special place.
In my opinion I would definitely recommend SVO.
Thanks for following the outcome.

Last edited: