AZ General Hunt for Javalina in 34B....NewBie...

IZZY

FNG
So I went out to scout today...first opportunity I have had...I saw alot of game signs in the area (empire ranch area specifically e yucca road) I was at, but it was mostly deer, cattle, and some sort of coyote, fox or something...jumped a doe (freaking cool), it was about 30-50 yds, I followed the track which was fresh, and then bambi stood up, we locked eyes, and a few seconds later she took off...later on, I bumped a nice buck and another doe as I was looking for these willy javies...well, I could not find any...any help will be great...this is my first real hunt, I have hunted on ranches before, and this is way different...any tips and help would be greatly appriceated...

Thanks...

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I generally find Javelina like I find elk, they are where they are. Very nomadic in nature and I rarely see them in the same place twice, but do see them in the same type of country. Thick bottoms of canyons and dry riverbeds. They will come up out of them to feed and get some sun. I run into them every couple of days when I was deer hunting....

Attachments

• IMG_0415.jpg
    IMG_0415.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 46
OP
I

IZZY

FNG
Went back to beat the trails again for the last two days...NO LUCK...good ol Javi is definitely hiding...Rosin, I tried to apply some of your knowledge by walking both river beds, and looking at mountain sides..I also heard that they like to come up the eastern facing mountains to get sun, so I was up waiting for them around 7 am, both days, in areas where AZGFD said they are more popular, still nothing..definitely put some mileage on my Rocky boots....still looking for advice folks...season starts on Friday, but planning on being out on Thursday and camping out there...

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Did you see any sign of Javelina? They are fairly tough to spot when in the bottoms, but if you are seeing sign, then you are in a good spot. Javelina re similar to elk in that they are where you find them. Generally though once you find them, very huntable and will stay in that area until they are pushed out.

OP
I

IZZY

FNG
Did you see any sign of Javelina? They are fairly tough to spot when in the bottoms, but if you are seeing sign, then you are in a good spot. Javelina re similar to elk in that they are where you find them. Generally though once you find them, very huntable and will stay in that area until they are pushed out.

Not a lot of signs or fresh signs at least...the prickly pear cactus in most of the places I was looking had signs that something was definitely dining on it...and for the little I know Javis eat them...I found a few fresh ones over by Dry Canyon, but that was it....Over by empire ranch, there was no signs that I could recognize, met up with some cattle around Spring Canyon...and I don't think the Javelinas share the same habitat cause there was nothing in the area...deer tracks but no deer....am sure it wasn't javalina tracks because there was only one set, and the strides looked long...

OP
I

IZZY

FNG
Anyone having any luck with Javelinas? The weather has been really cold, found a mountain side by Fortynine Wash in 34b with lots of signs (droppings, prickly pear fruit cactus, and even the bones of one) but no Javelinas...everyone is saying its because of the weather...and I can attest...I was camping outthere from Thursday day before the season open until today...each night the weather is freezing cold...(my water jug freezes each night) frost on my tent...crazy...am set up before sunrise, and I am usually there til about noon, and then hit it again around 2 til about 5...well at noon today I called it quits and came home to recharge...will go back out on Tuesday...any tips will be great..

OP
I

IZZY

FNG
Oh my goodness...so this morning I actually bumped some javelinas..for a while I was starting to think two things, either there were really no javelinas in Arizona and someone was playing a cruel joke on me, or I was the only person in AZ that can't find them...I went back to the site where I saw the most prickly pear plants, due to the cold, I figured I could get there around 0730, but due to some school buses and slow moving traffic, I didn't get parked and ready to move til about 0830, I went back up the hill, then I did something that definitely paid off, I went over the hill and went thru a wash to see the most prickly pear plants I have ever seen...as I started to go up the hill, I realized there was something there because I could see all the digging in the ground next to the plants and it was all fresh, and every now and then I will catch a wiff of a skunk...having never hunted javes before, I would stop each time the wind hits my face with that smell and just scan...during one of those stopping and scanning sessions, I heard a large thump and scurring of feet...and as I peered thru the prickly pears in front of me, I saw them, about 3 javes running for cover about 40 yds in front of me...my jaw dropped and good thing I shut it, because my heart was in my throat and it almost came out of my mouth....I squatted down, got on the binos and watched as they ran down hill...at this point I am wishing I had my rifle instead of a bow...I watched them as they ran down the hill about 300yds, stopping every now and then, until they disappeared into a scrub...I slowly got up and figured I would track them then I looked up to see another javelina about 60 yrds on the shelf right above me, I watched him and tried to figure out where he would come out, I did not have a shot since he was not in bow range...once again wish I had my rifle....I made a plan to intercept him and possibly get a shot, but by the time I got on his track, he was gone...I went down hill to track the first 3 that ran away, with no luck, I continued the slow process, then I saw the same one that was about 60 yds away this time he was about 100 yds, he went behind a tree, I made my plans to go intercept and once again the willy bugger gave me the slip....the rest of the day, I kept seeing signs, real good signs, but not javes...I am going to give it another shot again tomorrow, this time, I will work the top of the hills in the morning, and the bottoms in the afternoon...will keep you all posted...wish me luck...

Craig4791

WKR
Do you have a predator call?

Lots of videos of guys calling those in real easily with calls.

OP
I

IZZY

FNG
River Rat, my heart was pounding to fast to fumble for the camera, I had a camera in my pocket, can't figure out how to get the camera set up and still be ready to take a shot if it presents itself...honestly Craig I have no idea why I didn't bust out the primos javelina call I had on my wrist...guess I just froze...am just happy I was able to find these things on my own, with no fences, and just being out with a DIY hunt...will keep it in mind tomorrow...

OP
I

IZZY

FNG
Stick and string is kicking my a**...went back to the same spot today, no signs, I decided to walk the bottom of the hills and just scan up...as I was walking, I saw one jave munching away on the side of the hill about 100 yds away...I closed the distance to 84 yds according to the range finder, I could not find any other way to get closer without spooking the jave, and I know there are always multiple of em and I didn't want to get busted like I did yesterday...so I took out the predator call, and went to town...this jave just looked up in my direction and kept eating...so I continued on and off for the next 10 mins...nothing came...instead it just walked into a bunch of mesquite and kept eating...after about another 15 mins, I decided to take the chance and close the distance (mind you as am doing this I am wishing I had my rifle)....I got to 44 yds, with my arrow already notched, release attached, I draw back and put the space between my 40 and 50 yds pin on vital zone, steadied myself, fired, and am high over it's back...how can that be? Mr. Jave ran for about 10 yds, then stopped and kept eating...at this point I saw others moving around him...I crouched down, grabbed another arrow, looked around for a good 5 mins, then I decided to move, I took literarily 2 steps, when I saw movement on my right, less than 25 yds, it was another jave, but am busted, he took off running, and the rest of his buddies hightailed it out of there...I put the bow down grabbed my pistol hoping that they will stop soon, I blew on the predator call, but nothing was stopping these guys...they just kept running...I sat down, and just could not believe what just happened....those things are like ghosts....I got all my stuff together, and continued for the rest of the day with no luck...on my drive home, I decided to put the stick and string down and bring out the boom stick since tomorrow is the last day of the season and I plan on harvesting my tag....hopefully I find them again, and if not, well, it has been a fun experience...

OP
I

IZZY

FNG
So I am still chewing on my healthy dose of humble pie served by mother nature...I got to the hunt site yesterday on time, got ready, and started looking, then I looked, then I looked some more, then I walked, and walked and walked some more...NOTHING...it was as if the javes knew I was coming...they were gone...I did everything the same way I did it the last couple of days, but no luck...at noon I took a nap on one of the mountain tops, which was freaking cool...after about an hour nap, I did it allover again, with the same result...it takes me about 3-4 hours each time to got thru all 3 mountain ranges I was working...on my walk back, I started thinking, I give a whole lot of credit to all those hunters that did this before me, those that did it for a living, those whose survival depended on it...and I was humbled to know that I am not one of them because, I would most definitely be starving right now...I must say though, I enjoyed the view, and RiverRat, I tried to upload a pic that I thought was very cool, but cant figure it out...anyways, as I made my walk back to the truck, a thought came to my mind, "I don't hunt to live, I live to hunt"....I had fun, and it was a blast....as a consolation prize, my buddy that got me into hunting has invited me to Texas for an axis deer hunt on a leased property...so that should be interesting...will try it with a bow...if someone can let me know how to load pics on this site, I will load pics from the axis deer hunt if we get any...thanks for all the good wishes and advices..