Az bear down

fire652

WKR
I have been planning on this trip for some time. As this was only my second trip out west after hunting turkey I decided to once again go with a guide. I booked with pat Feldt of arizona guides hunts. He had been out scouting and found a great bear and sent some photos. Needless to say I could not wait to get hunting.
I flew out of ohio on Wednesday and of course the airline lost my luggage but lucky enough I received it just before we had to leave for the hunting grounds. We got into camp the night before opening day and went out glassing. We found the big bruin again and decided to try that area in the morning.
The morning of the hunt all the conditions were right. The bear was spotted again and after getting through some tough terrain I began to make my first stalk ever. The wind stayed perfect and I was able to get within 40 yards of the bear. When I finally let the arrow fly he was at 47 yards. We had a very difficult location to skin and quarter the bear and could barely move him. We eventually got the skin off and cooled and the meat deboned. We loaded our packs and had a long pack out that really made me question my preparation for the hunt. We eventually got to the truck but this was one of the most difficult things I have done, but now can't wait to come back. Bear was over 7 foot, over 400 pounds and had a 19 3/16 skull.

65d02e02e76030a85f066bfb4a734739.jpg

Thanks to pat for the great hunt and all the help from rokslide in my preparation.

ohoopee

WKR
Beautiful Bear. Congrats. In what way did you question your preparations?

OP
F

fire652

WKR
Thanks. I focused a lot on cardio and cutting weight ( I lost 30 pounds) and really got into good shape. But I did not put enough time in training with weight in a pack. I should have put a little more weight in pack instead of just hiking with 30 pounds in my bag. I had read of guys training with heavier loads and did not really understand the toll carrying a heavy pack long distances in the arizona heat takes on the body. Needless to say I still have muscles hurting that I did not know I had

Flatbow

Lil-Rokslider
that is a beautiful bear. I spent 15 years in eastern AZ along the NM border, love those color phase bears. congrats!

Great archery bear!! Congrats! Good to hear of what it was like from a flatlander's experience with your training efforts vs the reality on the pack out. Great job!