AZ archery elk - unit 27

staehlej

FNG
Hey all. My name is Jeff Staehle. I had the good fortune of drawing early archery unit 27 in AZ and applied solo not expecting to draw this year. Dang was I surprised! I am from Oregon and will be traveling from out of state.

Are there any other hunters who drew the same tag interested in teaming up?

My goal is not to collect free intel but to find someone else who will be in the area pounding the hills since I prefer not to hunt solo. I have all the gear and like to hunt hard while enjoying the adventure and camaraderie that comes with it. If I can't find anyone it's likely I will hire a guide although I prefer DIY.

If you are willing to partner up, please send me a private message or email [email protected].

jeff

Last edited:
Congrats on drawing this tag. From what I understand this is a solid unit with the potential to get a giant bull if you get after it. I have never hunted it but usually my 2nd choice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

MLGrace

Lil-Rokslider
I live near this area. Ton of wildeness Area so limited roads. During this time you will likely be in the rut. You will not have trouble finding elk. There are also a ton of wolves. I did not draw unfortunately.

Wolf density in eastern Arizona is currently one wolf every 30 square miles. So, not a lot of wolves there.

Ha….do you live up here? I see plenty.
Yes, I've seen wolves and heard wolves each time I've been to eastern Arizona. Nevertheless, wolf density in that little region of Arizona is currently one wolf per 30 square miles (2021 data).

MLGrace

Lil-Rokslider
I’m so glad that you know about wolves where I actually live. When you hunt 27 you will likely see and certainly hear wolves. Thank you for a productive response.

No problemo, mi amigo. Just wanted to set the record straight, based on biological science derived from the various agencies that are in charge of closely monitoring that experimental wolf population.

No problemo, mi amigo. Just wanted to set the record straight, based on biological science derived from the various agencies that are in charge of closely monitoring that experimental wolf population.
With all due respect. I live in a part of montana that the agencies said had no known wolf packs last year. I killed one and took pics of 16 others. The biologist and I are pretty decent friends and when they decided to try and collar some this year he called me to ask where i had been seeing them. The agencies do their best, but with how mobile wolves are, they don’t know everything…

I hunt there, nearly every year (Unit 1 and Unit 27). I'm very aware of what's happening with Mexican wolves in Arizona. Also, I've lived with, hunted, trapped, observed, photographed and studied wolves the past 57 years, so I'm fully aware of what they are and what they are not, and what they represent as a big game specie. Fact of the matter is that New Mexico has nearly twice as many wolves as Arizona, so you Arizona boys should be thankful, I guess.

MLGrace

Lil-Rokslider
None of complained about wolves. Pay attention. We just said that there are many of them in unit 27.

slim9300

WKR
I hunt there, nearly every year (Unit 1 and Unit 27). I'm very aware of what's happening with Mexican wolves in Arizona. Also, I've lived with, hunted, trapped, observed, photographed and studied wolves the past 57 years, so I'm fully aware of what they are and what they are not, and what they represent as a big game specie. Fact of the matter is that New Mexico has nearly twice as many wolves as Arizona, so you Arizona boys should be thankful, I guess.

Where is there 2021 study showing 1 wolf per 30 miles?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BBob

WKR
Where is there 2021 study showing 1 wolf per 30 miles?

I haven't seen it published yet. It is due out this month

The last report for 2020 population showed a total of 186 wolves in AZ and NM so mby not a stretch for 1 in 30mi avg?

This was copied from 4th qtr 2021 report:

"The end of year census for 2020 generated a minimum abundance of 186 Mexican wolves in the wild (72 in AZ and 114 in NM). This was a 14% increase in the population from the 2019 end of year census. The end of year census for 2021 is currently underway. Results of the 2021 census are anticipated to be available in March 2022. Annual surveys are conducted in the winter as this is when the population experiences the least amount of natural fluctuation (i.e. in the spring the population increases dramatically with the birth of new pups and declines throughout the summer and fall as pup mortality generally occurs in this period). Thus, the IFT summarizes the total number of counted wolves in winter. Counting the population at the end of each year allows for comparable year-to-year trends at a time of year when the Mexican wolf population is most stable."

slim9300

WKR
I haven't seen it published yet. It is due out this month

The last report for 2020 population showed a total of 186 wolves in AZ and NM so mby not a stretch for 1 in 30mi avg?

This was copied from 4th qtr 2021 report:

"The end of year census for 2020 generated a minimum abundance of 186 Mexican wolves in the wild (72 in AZ and 114 in NM). This was a 14% increase in the population from the 2019 end of year census. The end of year census for 2021 is currently underway. Results of the 2021 census are anticipated to be available in March 2022. Annual surveys are conducted in the winter as this is when the population experiences the least amount of natural fluctuation (i.e. in the spring the population increases dramatically with the birth of new pups and declines throughout the summer and fall as pup mortality generally occurs in this period). Thus, the IFT summarizes the total number of counted wolves in winter. Counting the population at the end of each year allows for comparable year-to-year trends at a time of year when the Mexican wolf population is most stable."

It does state ‘minimum abundance’ in that report. Empirical evidence above seems to indicate that 1 wolf per 30 square miles is a gross under exaggeration, which appears pretty common with wolf and cat biological ‘studies’ since many are done by biologists that don’t support the North American Model. And to go further, most biologists seem to have a personal love/infatuation with one or more of the predatory animals.

Speaking generally here: I have spent hundreds of days hunting in country with wolves over the last 20 years and this year I had three sightings in three separate areas (all at least 60 miles apart). In the 20 years prior (and hunting/scouting/backpacking 40-60 days per year) I saw one wolf from my truck. To me it seems that the dynamic can change quickly with populations of canines. Their gestation period and ability to have large litters makes them very tough to estimate and manage.

"It does state 'minimum adundance' in that report .... speaking generally here .... it seems that the dynamic can change quickly with populations of canines .... makes them very tough to estimate and manage."

The population range for Mexican wolves in Arizona and New Mexico (combined) is currently 185-205 animals. Even at the top end of the range (205 wolves) it's still well below objectives. However, it's merely an experimental population and there's no push toward meeting any objective whatsoever.

In terms of monitoring the Arizona/New Mexico population and obtaining population estimates, this particular population of wolves is highly monitored via satellite and radio telemetry, so the population estimate is very accurate (within 5%).

Lastly, this particular population has been self-regulating the past 47 years, largely due to habitat limitations. It's doubtful that this population will ever reach a target objective of 250-300 wolves.