Axis Thermal Hybrid Hooded Jacket - Review

I was lucky enough to snag one of these before Kuiu sold out. I’ve been wearing it off and on now for a week.

My thoughts are Kuiu did an excellent job taking the fundamentals of both the Axis Hybrid and the Elements Jacket and combining them.

The Fiberball Synthetic Insulation is in the right spots to maintain warmth. I could tell in a strong 15 mph wind where the uninsulated spots were however, it’s not too noticeable. With this said, I didn’t feel the wind but felt “cold spots” where there wasn’t any insulation; rightfully so.

Generally, when moving through the brush or trees, I’m moving branches out of the way therefore, not having any insulation from the forearms to the hands is nice knowing I’d be less likely to tear a hole.

Overall the jacket feels robust and made for a person who’s actively hunting in cold to moderate temperatures. My only wish would be to add an internal collar like what the guide jacket has and fleece lined hand pockets.

If you’ve been contemplating getting one I’d highly recommend it for the active hunter.

JRS3

FNG
What do you see the niche for this jacket being? Assume you have an Axis Hybrid and a Super Down Pro.

I’m not opposed to buying extra pieces but am trying to figure why I would want to use the Axis Thermal vs the other two and what that condition is.

Thanks!

OP
Tips n Tails
What do you see the niche for this jacket being? Assume you have an Axis Hybrid and a Super Down Pro.

I’m not opposed to buying extra pieces but am trying to figure why I would want to use the Axis Thermal vs the other two and what that condition is.

Thanks!
@JRS3 Just spit balling here I’d say it would work great for the back country hunter. I think it bridges the gap for the “most part” of having to carry two pieces of clothing (Axis Hybrid and the SPD) for an active hunter that could have inconsistent low - mild weather temperatures, possible showers, etc…imo.

At least that’s my thoughts thus far. It’s synthetic insulation vs. down therefore, it still has some insulation properties when wet compared to down being wetted out.

I currently own the Axis Hybrid jacket (considering selling now lol) and have owned the SDP but when I held it up to light I could see daylight. Implying the down within the baffles shifted and/or lost there loft in that particular area.

I think it would be more apt to replace the Axis Hybrid but not necessarily a full on down jacket like the SDP or other various brand down jackets. My reasoning for saying this is based on me wearing it in the 30s with some wind, I wouldn’t necessarily want to be wearing this on a windy cold ridge glassing to where a down jacket would be more suited for that.

Overall I think it’s a step up over the Kenai Hooded Jacket, Elements Jacket, and even the Axis Hybrid for a one and done.

I got one, just arrived at the house after my last mule deer hunt of the year, I personally hope this is something to replace two jackets so I’d only have to carry this one. I have the guide and a puffy, but now I’ll test this out to see if on a back country hunt specifically I could just take this. Only thing I could see this is on colder weather sits that a guy might get cold in a forearms? I would layer over a fleece hoody to help combat that. And in worse conditions I would just wear my rain jacket over both axis thermal and a fleece mid layer

JRS3

FNG
I ordered one in Valo and look forward to wearing it this winter. I will post back after I use it a few times and get a feel for it.

How does this jacket pack down or compress vs say the super down or super down pro?

Or given the concept do
You think it would not be packed, it would be worn?

JDB9818

WKR
For the guys who have them, do you feel like the insulated portion is fragile like a down puffy might be or do you think it will be “fairly” durable? Curious as it would be used as an outer layer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

How does this jacket pack down or compress vs say the super down or super down pro?

Or given the concept do
You think it would not be packed, it would be worn?
I can tell you it won’t compress down like a down puffy, I haven’t looked at mine a whole lot but the forearms and shoulders are basically an “axis jacket” and the rest is a synthetic puffy. So won’t compress down as well

@JDB9818 I would say more durable forsure. What ever that outer layer is seems more durable and somewhat thicker than what my current down puffy is.

Pbast81

FNG
Would you buy this over the guide? On the fence on which one I would like to have. I would be using it as an all around outer layer for active and stand hunts.

JRS3

FNG
Two different pieces. I like the Guide for early and mid season in dry-er situations and especially when I’m wanting a more rugged/utilitarian type jacket. It also does well as a solo piece in mild-cool weather.

I like the Axis hybrid for mid-late season hunts in both spot and stalk and static situations and when some precipitation is expected. Its not fragile so to speak but I prefer it for stand hunts too.

Pbast81

FNG
Ok thanks! I use my kenai in the early dryer situations and I was looking for a late season active jacket and some stand situations. There’s so many options and I was trying to find a multi use jacket instead of buying several of them. It sounds like this will work for what I’m wanting.

Just got my Axis Thermal Hybrid in. So far I like it more than I was expecting. I wear Large in every KUIU top but I heard this jacket ran a little bit bigger so I took a chance and bought a Medium. It fits exactly how I would want it to. I could easily layer a Peloton 240 under it and probably a superdown ultra vest or kenai vest as well. I'm 5'11" 177lbs

Seeknelk

WKR
While can't see this EVER replacing a truly warm puffy (for late ,cold hunts) it's certainly an interesting piece! Waiting to hear more on how guys actually use it 👍🏼

While can't see this EVER replacing a truly warm puffy (for late ,cold hunts) it's certainly an interesting piece! Waiting to hear more on how guys actually use it 👍🏼
Admittingly I bought mine mostly for casual wear but I'll bring it on my next Alaska trip to try out for sure

Hey, new to western hunting. Me and my wife hunted Wyoming last year but, mostly hunt in our home state of Virginia where puffy jackets are a no go. We plan on going west every year now. Point being, would this be good for brush busting as well as keeping warm out west, or should I look at the gale force. Also considering the SDP with a chugach set in case of rain and as a protective layer over the puffy.

Im new to Western hunting and will be in Colorado the first week of Nov. Trying to build out my gear.

I was planning on running a heavy marino base ( first lite Furnace), sitka ambient jacket, kuiu super down lt, with a sitka jetstream over it all. Keep a Kuiu super down pro and rain gear in the pack. Am I overthinking this?
Would this axis thermal hybrid replace mid-layer insulation and jetstream jacket?

Im new to Western hunting and will be in Colorado the first week of Nov. Trying to build out my gear.

I was planning on running a heavy marino base ( first lite Furnace), sitka ambient jacket, kuiu super down lt, with a sitka jetstream over it all. Keep a Kuiu super down pro and rain gear in the pack. Am I overthinking this?
Would this axis thermal hybrid replace mid-layer insulation and jetstream jacket?
I’m a little late with my reply but it seems like you had all your bases covered pretty well. How did it work out for you?