Audad Sheep Hunt -Desert Safaris texas - Sketchy Situation

huntnful

WKR
Stories like these are why I'd rather go DIY for everything (unless prohibited by law).
The only time I paid to get taken some get to hunt, I got the total run around and had to change flights 3 times to accommodate their shit. So I agree unless there is VAST info on the guide service.

And to the OP. Yeah, that guy is trash. Very easy to send a small amount of info to ease a paying clients mind.

RyanC

WKR
Thanks for sharing your experience.....like many, that is a hunt I'd like to do one day. He won't be in business very long if that's how he operates. Man, I hope you try to get some of that money back, that sucks!!

OP
SteveSacs

SteveSacs

FNG
In reality, there’s like 4, maybe 5 reputable aoudad outfitters, the rest are amateur hour.

I went with one that was supposed to be really good, the guy seemed annoyed to be there, he kept talking about how it was his las tone for the year and he didn’t really want to be there because he had other stuff to do. I nearly got in a fight with him in the end, we had to get separated. It was ridiculous.
Wow. Thats wild

I thought Desert Safaris was a big operations. Reviews were good. I should have done alot more research

Website below

WRO

WKR
The only time I paid to get taken some get to hunt, I got the total run around and had to change flights 3 times to accommodate their shit. So I agree unless there is VAST info on the guide service.

And to the OP. Yeah, that guy is trash. Very easy to send a small amount of info to ease a paying clients mind.

There’s some really good ones, and a lot of shit heads.. I’m blessed to be friends with several good ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scottf270

WKR
"There’s some really good ones, and a lot of shit heads.. I’m blessed to be friends with several good ones."

Then please post them up. Give us your opinion of each one. Help others avoid bad operators.

easttex

Lil-Rokslider
I remember the article by Craig Boddington. I thought at the time," boy did they ever pull the wool over his eyes".

WRO

WKR
"There’s some really good ones, and a lot of shit heads.. I’m blessed to be friends with several good ones."

Then please post them up. Give us your opinion of each one. Help others avoid bad operators.

I don’t know any in the Audad realm in Texas, Jesse Valdez out of NM does pretty well on them and I’ve hunted with him, solid dude. But you’re probably not going to kill a 30 in + ram on an OTC hunt.

CHL

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah Hunter Ross seems to have quite the bad reputation and this story I’ve heard now 3-4 times all from different people. Sorry to hear man.

OP
SteveSacs

SteveSacs

FNG
Yeah Hunter Ross seems to have quite the bad reputation and this story I’ve heard now 3-4 times all from different people. Sorry to hear man.
Really interesting to hear this. I'd love to chat with anyone who has had a similar experience. Hopefully run into someone on here that has either hunted with him or had to deal with something similar.

Fisherhahn

Lil-Rokslider
I just sent him an email and explained that I value the reviews that get posted on this forum, and based one this one review his services are out of the running when I pull the trigger on an aoudad hunt. OP, sorry this happened to you and thank you for sharing. I’m sure it won’t make a difference, but a few emails from people letting him know they heard this story and it’s the reason they don’t plan to book with him, may make him change his tune

atmat

WKR
I just sent him an email and explained that I value the reviews that get posted on this forum, and based one this one review his services are out of the running when I pull the trigger on an aoudad hunt. OP, sorry this happened to you and thank you for sharing. I’m sure it won’t make a difference, but a few emails from people letting him know they heard this story and it’s the reason they don’t plan to book with him, may make him change his tune
I was looking at a hunt, too, but will most certainly not go with him in the future.

For anyone considering an aoudad hunt, I have two suggestions: Book it now because prices won't go down, and consider going with Mike McKinney at West Texas Hunt Organization (westtexashunt.com).

Mike runs a solid operation and employs quality guides like Casey Sanford, who I've hunted with 4 times. This is Casey with a stud ram he guided me to a few years back. Even at the current price, aoudad hunts are one of the best values in the hunting world.

Attachments

• Casey.JPG
    Casey.JPG
    470.1 KB · Views: 43
OP
SteveSacs

SteveSacs

FNG
Thanks Buddy. I really appreciate that. Just read from another member that they chatted with a guide that used to work with him and that he’s drunk all the time now.