Athlon Cronus g2 uhd 10x42

dmcp

FNG
I realize this is an older thread, but I'm wondering how the long term durability of these binoculars is.

bdloftin

FNG
You might want to try them out before buying. I tried them at Scheels and the rolling ball effect/barrel distortion really bothered me. But I might be more susceptible to that since I notice it some on the Meostar S2 scope (20-70x) at low zooms, while many people only see a minor effect if at all with that eyepiece.

Scheels does offer free returns for a year window, so they'd be great for testing out optics.

Hotmail

Lil-Rokslider
That rolling ball effect made me very dizzy and nauseated looking through my recently purchased grossly overpriced Athlon Cronus UHD Gen 2. What a waste of money when even my really dirt cheap $50 open box used eBay ScoopX UHD is far superior and doesn't have the nauseating rolling ball effect even though they also have field flatteners.

Imagine if the Athlon Midas UHD Gen 2 and Cronus UHD Gen 2 merged best of both worlds plus lighter weight with much better clearer brighter UHD glass and field flatteners added that won't make you sea sick that's the ScoopX UHD in a nutshell. I bought mine used open box for around $50 apiece while new ones sell for $55-$65 on eBay right now and $249 on Amazon or $224 on sale and $299 on Gosky's website.

Read my replies in this post.

"Best binos under 400? | Rokslide Forum" https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/best-binos-under-400.354131/

Beetroot

Lil-Rokslider
I have pair that was a replacement for some 8.5x42s that were faulty out of the box.

I've been pretty impressed with them, not used them hunting much as 10x is too much IMO. But for spotting at shooting comps and spotting animals off tripod around home I've been happy with them.

Durability wise they are good, other than I spllt the rubberized coating on the objective lens when I dropped them about 6ft onto my kitchen floor moving my tripod... Still function fine.

Hotmail

Lil-Rokslider
I just bought a third brand new Athlon Cronus UHD Gen 2 so I will soon have three Cronus UHD Gen 2 10x42s at the same time to compare to my dirt cheap ScoopX UHDs. Hopefully the first two Cronus UHDs were just duds.

I ended up buying a total of three of them because Blackwood's Pursuit rated them best in the $500 bino category and some of their testers preferred the Cronus UHD Gen 2 over several of the $1000 price point bins they all tested.