Athlon Ares vs Maven CS1 spotter

Hey folks,

I’ve been running the gen 2 Athlon ares for a few years now and enjoy it, but have been interested In the maven cs1 due to weight, who has experience with both? I’m assuming the ares glass is superior but don’t have hands on time with the maven.

Any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks

ZackP

WKR
I’ve tried both flavors. Glass is essentially a wash. I’m pretty sure they’re the exact same spotter minus cosmetics and weight.

OP
NWMT_MountainBum
I’ve tried both flavors. Glass is essentially a wash. I’m pretty sure they’re the exact same spotter minus cosmetics and weight.
I ordered the cs1 to try, can’t hurt, if I can stay with the same glass and lose 10oz I’m all
For it.

ZackP

WKR
It was a wash for me, but everyone’s eyes are different. If you look at the specs, there’s hardly any differences!

Let us know your thoughts.

DANJR

FNG
Have you received your Maven yet? Really curious which direction you end up here. I’m looking to move into one of these. Any thought compared to Razor HD would also be appreciated.

OP
NWMT_MountainBum
Have you received your Maven yet? Really curious which direction you end up here. I’m looking to move into one of these. Any thought compared to Razor HD would also be appreciated.
I did! After comparing them I am going to be running the Maven this year, clarity was almost identical between the two with a slight difference in color but no major points over one another. I feel either are a great choice for those poking deep back into the mountains and need to shave ounces. Seeing as the maven comes in about 10oz lighter, it won.

I believe both are comparable to Razor glass, with the razor edging them out maybe in the slightest. I also am not a vortex fan, and believe I’d look quite a few more places before opting for them in a full size spotter. I don’t like their 11-33 at all.

OP
NWMT_MountainBum
Optically? No. But if shaving the 10oz is worth it you might give it a shot. I am impressed with the maven throughout my use the last four months.

I’m thinking a 10 ounce lighter spotting scope is more likely to get thrown in the pack on hunts. Is the glass quality basically the same?any noticeable difference?

ZackP

WKR
I’m thinking a 10 ounce lighter spotting scope is more likely to get thrown in the pack on hunts. Is the glass quality basically the same?any noticeable difference?

In my experience they’re damn near identical. The early sample of Ares Gen 2 I had seemed darker above 30X than the CS1.

Weather could have been a factor, and they were not directly side by side. Just going from memory. I was happy with both of them, but prefer the Maven.

OP
NWMT_MountainBum
The glass is nearly identical, comparing them side-by-side. The only difference I could find was in color. The CS1 seemed to have a little more natural color than the Ares. Both are great.