At what point does reloading payoff?

Mikido

WKR
Let’s say hunting loads for .308, for a person with zero equipment purchasing new. In your experience have many rounds did it take to break even than buying lower end, American made ammo (say core lokts). Thanks

How much do you shoot now and what would be your goals if you started reloading? One box a year and it’s not worth the time, money, etc. if you shoot a box a week than absolutely. I also found that early on I shot often. Now I don’t shoot as often as my kids and work keeps me busy, but I can use premium bullets while keeping my costs down. I couldn’t even begin to guess where I broke even, but it was after several hundred rounds. Issue starting now is finding components.

The math part is strait forward, the variables are tougher to pin down. In addition to the comments above I would add in the time factor. Do you have a dedicated space to stay set up, kids, wife, girlfriend, dogs.
One rifle or will you accumulate 32 sets of dies?
for one 308 it probably will take some time to break even.

or you want to keep shooting and factory ammo isnt avaliable.

I used to think the guys that bought thousands of bullets, powder, primers and brass for the life of the barrel were crazy.
I see now they were geniuses.

Last edited:
Let’s say hunting loads for .308, for a person with zero equipment purchasing new. In your experience have many rounds did it take to break even than buying lower end, American made ammo (say core lokts). Thanks
I asked similar questions when I was getting ready to start and it is not a simple answer because cost can vary so much depending on what u buy and at what cost u can get components. It would be years of shooting for most people to ever break even. If you don’t enjoy the thought of tinkering with reloading, don’t do it. I enjoy the process and the other aspect is I have not seen a 300 wsm factory round in almost a year on the shelves.

Reloading “pays off” when you’re shooting much more and become a better marksman. I spend a LOT of money on reloading…but essentially doubled my effective range on animals. Took two animals at 500 this year which would not have been possible last year and without burning 800-1000 rounds practicing and dialing in my loads.

reloading usually equals more money spend. If you’re after cost savings find a buddy to reload for you.

I think getting into reloading to save money is backwards thinking. But then again, I don't know how much you're shooting. 308 is probably on the cheaper end of rifle ammo and would take a long time to pay off.....IF you can even find components to start.

The stuff I'm reloading now is pretty low volume - but I know exactly what I'm gonna get out of it and I know it's available. I shot an antelope through the heart at 436 last weekend and had 100% confidence in rifle and ammo.

#1 for me is it’s a great hobby. When I’m not hunting or shooting I’m reloading. Reloading saves me money on pistol ammo. I believe this is where I came out ahead. I don’t shoot competitions, but I used to shoot all the time. Throw in a couple of young boys that like to shoot and the savings add up.

Right now I could go shoot anyone of my firearms and not worry about the shortage. Of course I spent a lot of $ getting plenty of components, but a single box of bullets 50-100 bullets cost less than a box of 20 factory ammo.

Does not make any sense in your scenario from a cost perspective to get set up to reload, especially for a .308 win.

I enjoy it and am glad I reload. I got into it to make reduced recoil loads for my son's rifle that were not available. Now that I'm set up I reload for any rifle I need ammo for.

The time at start was a few years ago.

Now, finding primers to get started with makes it almost break even with buying.

But, as others said, you don't save any money, you just shoot more......

I don’t shoot often, maybe 4-5 range trips a year. I reload and have been doing so for about 10 years. The initial costs can vary GREATLY. I started with a Lee starter kit. It was very basic but got me started. As I learned more and liked it more, I began to upgrade my equipment piece by piece. As you start and then continue, you will pay for convenience with the biggest being those RCBS auto powder dispenser. Game changer.

I’m OCD and have BAD anxiety. that equates to me being very picky about the ammo I use to hunt with. I trust myself more to make high quality accurate ammo than what’s in a box. I have very limited time to hunt and shoot so when I do get the opportunity, the last thing I want to worry about is my ammo/rifle.

I will never "break even". I'm constantly changing bullets, powder, primers, cases, rifles, loading methods in search for the perfect load. If you stick to strictly 1 rifle, 1 load and with the basics and only using the rifle for hunting it will likely take several lifetimes to zero out on cost savings. If you shoot a lot then you'll do better but when you shoot more you spend more on components and at current prices it's going to get expensive fast.

The most important thing I learned when reloading is that it's consistency and making a superior ammo compared to factory loads. I can also shoot specialty ammo (say non-lead) for much less per round than what is on the shelf at the store.

Agreed with some of the folks up above- You never break even. Unless you have the discipline to stick to the basics. You can get a single-stage press and crank out cheap practice rounds. I started reloading to save money- went down the rabbit hole of designing the best rounds for my rifle pretty quickly. Except for practice .223. I even bought a single stage to accompany my progressive just to make getting caps out before cleaning brass faster. By the time it's all said and done you'll still be glad you did it.

How much is your time worth to clean, prep, and load? Most reloaders fail to ignore labor costs in their cost evaluation?

Only a few reasons to reload:
-You enjoy reloading as a separate hobby
-You’re a true top level competitor
-You’re on a fixed income and unable to work.
-You have a hard to find off the shelf caliber

I started reloading when I got a 280ai. The cost of the components adds up fast if you really get into it. If you are OK with just good enough you can get by with some basic tools and you can usually find everything used. Especially for a common caliber like 308. If you like to tinker reloading can be fun.

Agreed with some of the folks up above- You never break even. Unless you have the discipline to stick to the basics. You can get a single-stage press and crank out cheap practice rounds. I started reloading to save money- went down the rabbit hole of designing the best rounds for my rifle pretty quickly. Except for practice .223. I even bought a single stage to accompany my progressive just to make getting caps out before cleaning brass faster. By the time it's all said and done you'll still be glad you did it.

This is more true than what I said, if you tried to be cost conscious you might be able to, but that is so far outside my typical frame of thought I couldn't see it. :)

Back