Aspen Groves for Feeding Areas

Where do you all rank Aspen groves in terms of identifying likely feeding areas for elk?

Virtually everywhere I’ve elk hunted, any open meadow is basically just sage brush, I assume due to overgrazing. Some areas I’ve hunted have almost no open ground to start with. It’s either dark timber or aspen groves. I’ve yet to really find one of those beautiful meadows you see on tv or YouTube full of lush grass…though I see them in my dreams lol.

The ground under the aspen groves is usually pretty lush. I know they like to eat the bark, especially in winter, but I also got to assume they are feeding on the vegetation too. And we hunt in areas with a crap ton of aspens.

Gerbdog

WKR
Ive found them feeding in aspen groves .... and fields.... and openings ..... and above treeline .....and sage brush.... and thick forest.... and this year the elk i killed had a mouthful of weeds he was feeding on in the dark timber / beetle kill / deadfall hole ..... all to say i find elk just use whatever is available. Seems to me the elk i find all value safety more than the particular feed in the area..... CO where i hunt also has an abundance of water so that factor is pretty much removed where i hunt.....

i know its been said before a bunch on here, but it does seem to hold water for me, the areas around aspen groves where it mixes with the pine timber .... those are hot areas for elk

OP
G
Thanks. I think that kind of highlights my struggle with the topic. I haven’t found much pattern with on the ground observations of their feeding behaviors. I feel a lot more confident and knowledgeable about identifying potential bedding either based on the classic north facing dark timber or other factors that cause less human pressure.

Where they feed seems to be almost completely random.

I’ve even seen them spending hours feeding in sage brush when there were lush hayfields 100 yards away with a mix of cut and uncut hay like a damn buffet.

jolemons

WKR
Ive found them feeding in aspen groves .... and fields.... and openings ..... and above treeline .....and sage brush.... and thick forest.... and this year the elk i killed had a mouthful of weeds he was feeding on in the dark timber / beetle kill / deadfall hole ..... all to say i find elk just use whatever is available. Seems to me the elk i find all value safety more than the particular feed in the area..... CO where i hunt also has an abundance of water so that factor is pretty much removed where i hunt.....

i know its been said before a bunch on here, but it does seem to hold water for me, the areas around aspen groves where it mixes with the pine timber .... those are hot areas for elk
This ^ In addition, the same can be said about bedding areas. They will bed in aspen groves... and fields...etc.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk