Arrowhead 45 cal smokeless prefit for Encore A+++

163bc

FNG
Near 40 years as a reloader but a total newbie to the smokeless muzzleloader game. Just ordered a Brux prefit for my Encore from Luke at Arrowhead Rifles. I am primarily a hunter and focus will be on deer, black bear etc. I'd like to be able to shoot accurately to 300 with this new rig. Luke's system in very impressive. I got everything i needed to start shooting right away. I also followed Luke's recommendation and got the 275 grain bullets.

barrel showed yesterday and everything bolted up with ease. Mounted scope and shot the 275 bullets over 60 grains IMR 4198. 1 shot at 25 yard to get on paper. Next 2 at 100 were 1/4 in apart. Made scope adjustment and next 3 were under an inch dead on at 100 yds. Easiest muzzleloader I've ever sighted in. Now to get some trigger time and find out what she'll do out to 300.

Excited not to have to mess with black powder or substitutes and sabots. Load and shoot with extreme accuracy. :)

That kind of setup for my encore will probably be my next firearm purchase. Accuracy with a muzzy setup has always been my issue and this would help a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t have an encore, but I have a smokeless built on a 45-70 cva scout and one built on a savage centerfire action. Lots of money invested, but worth it!

Ront

FNG
Near 40 years as a reloader but a total newbie to the smokeless muzzleloader game. Just ordered a Brux prefit for my Encore from Luke at Arrowhead Rifles. I am primarily a hunter and focus will be on deer, black bear etc. I'd like to be able to shoot accurately to 300 with this new rig. Luke's system in very impressive. I got everything i needed to start shooting right away. I also followed Luke's recommendation and got the 275 grain bullets.

barrel showed yesterday and everything bolted up with ease. Mounted scope and shot the 275 bullets over 60 grains IMR 4198. 1 shot at 25 yard to get on paper. Next 2 at 100 were 1/4 in apart. Made scope adjustment and next 3 were under an inch dead on at 100 yds. Easiest muzzleloader I've ever sighted in. Now to get some trigger time and find out what she'll do out to 300.

Excited not to have to mess with black powder or substitutes and sabots. Load and shoot with extreme accuracy. :)
I am getting ready to order the same. I have two bolt actions from Luke. What barrel did you go with Sir? Any help would be appreciated.

Ty

35remy

FNG
I don’t have an encore, but I have a smokeless built on a 45-70 cva scout and one built on a savage centerfire action. Lots of money invested, but worth it!
I’ve been running a Hankins CVA Scout conversion for a year now. 56gr of IMR4198 gives me 2300fps and sub-moa groups using 275gr Pittman Accumax bullets over a wool wad. I shot a 1” cloverleaf at 150 on the range Friday morning. Bullets are smooth sized to fit snug in the bore and the barrel is shot dirty. Running a 250gr Fury star tip with sabot gives me an extra 75fps but is not quite as accurate. No kills further than 60 yards with it so far, so I haven’t been able to test it at range. Everything shot so far was DRT, including one of my largest boars to date.

Last edited:
I’ve been running a Hankins CVA Scout conversion for a year now. 56gr of IMR4198 gives me 2300fps and sub-moa groups using 275gr Pittman Accumax bullets over a wool wad. I shot a 1” cloverleaf at 150 on the range Friday morning. Bullets are smooth sized to fit snug in the bore and the barrel is shot dirty. Running a 250gr Fury star tip with sabot gives me an extra 75fps but is not quite as accurate. No kills further than 60 yards with it so far, so I haven’t been able to test it at range. Everything shot so far was DRT, including one of my largest boars to date.
Centerpunchusa done my scout conversion. 55gr h4198 and a plastic tipped 250 star tip with a wool wad. Made an adjustment between groups. B5CC3BF5-38FE-4D0A-A05C-E1DB2627AC03.jpeg

Raider07

FNG

Hello. I just posted about these barrels on another thread. What are updated thoughts now that you have owned it for some time? I’m interested in getting into muzzleloaders and thinking man encore barrel would be a good start. Suggestions?

OP
163bc

163bc

FNG
Ive used mine for 2 deer seasons now. Excellent barrels. My opinion is its an exceptionally good product.

OP
163bc

163bc

FNG
Mine wears a Leupold VX3 in 3.5x10x50 mm. The scope has been flawless. I do plan to change to a Nightforce because i wan to try some long range shooting and dialing with it.

Put the first round of the year through my 45 cal preferred blank SML encore last night and got throttled by recoil. Popped the action open and the primer was already out of the module and there was a lot of evidence of gas coming around the primer through the module. Was clear there was way more pressure than typical.

Load was 60 gr H4198 behind a sized 275 XLD lit with a CCI 250. Powder and bullet had been sitting in the gun for a few weeks but was never exposed to humidity or anything. I have very few rounds through this rifle, only ever used H4198. I did not clean the bore after less than 10 rounds last year but I was basically looking at it like a centerfire because of the powder/bullets used in regards to cleaning.

Anyone ever had similar issues? I sent Luke an email to get his thoughts. I'm afraid of shooting the thing again..

Edit: Luke told me not to leave ammo loaded because the copper can bond to the bore which makes sense and should have been obvious to me..

Last edited:
Put the first round of the year through my 45 cal preferred blank SML encore last night and got throttled by recoil. Popped the action open and the primer was already out of the module and there was a lot of evidence of gas coming around the primer through the module. Was clear there was way more pressure than typical.

Load was 60 gr H4198 behind a sized 275 XLD lit with a CCI 250. Powder and bullet had been sitting in the gun for a few weeks but was never exposed to humidity or anything. I have very few rounds through this rifle, only ever used H4198. I did not clean the bore after less than 10 rounds last year but I was basically looking at it like a centerfire because of the powder/bullets used in regards to cleaning.

Anyone ever had similar issues? I sent Luke an email to get his thoughts. I'm afraid of shooting the thing again..

Edit: Luke told me not to leave ammo loaded because the copper can bond to the bore which makes sense and should have been obvious to me..
Yikes I usually leave it loaded for weeks as well. I shot one at 220 last night and split the top of the heart in half with a load that’s been in it for at least 2-3 weeks. I probably have 100+ shots on mine and it’s never seen a patch and just as accurate as the day I got it.

Yikes I usually leave it loaded for weeks as well. I shot one at 220 last night and split the top of the heart in half with a load that’s been in it for at least 2-3 weeks. I probably have 100+ shots on mine and it’s never seen a patch and just as accurate as the day I got it.

I pulled the breech plug and looked down the barrel. It appears to have a small bulge now roughly where the bullet would be seated…

Looking like a pretty dang costly mistake.
8D434571-461B-4B99-8139-0F10003B50AD.jpeg

That’s awful what did Luke say about that?

That he wouldn’t shoot it.. so I’ll be buying a new barrel😒

I stuck a bore scope down it and noticed some big patches of copper in this area too. I don’t know if that is more or less likely to result in bullets welding to it but is probably worth looking into to know if cleaning copper out would help or hurt the next barrel.

That he wouldn’t shoot it.. so I’ll be buying a new barrel😒

I stuck a bore scope down it and noticed some big patches of copper in this area too. I don’t know if that is more or less likely to result in bullets welding to it but is probably worth looking into to know if cleaning copper out would help or hurt the next barrel.
That sucks I’m sorry to hear, I’ve never heard of it before I usually leave them loaded till I shoot something. I’ll be sure to swap out loads weekly now