Arrow weight for Mule Deer and Elk

Bump79

WKR
On the topic of arrow flight....

It's interesting to think for example, that an animal that has a reaction time of say .3 seconds.

The difference of .4 and .5 seconds is twice the movement, or twice the time for movement.
100%. I had seen videos that "debunk" that arrow speed has any reflection on animal movement. When you actually break down FPS to animal movement it is clear that speed will help. Yes, bow noise and arrow noise matters too. But FPS absolutely matters.

I think the ticket is to get your bow as quiet as possible, shoot quiet heads and the quietest vane you can and shoot as fast as you can still get flight with. That is for average draw length and weight hunters.

My setup is 420 grains but I have a 27.5-28" draw.
73 lbs draw weight 284 fps.
BUT I have never hunted with it, yet, so no feedback on that.

TOF is very important to me as I prefer shots between 40-60 yds. I've never had issues with penetration running an arrow between 428 and 453 depending on broadhead and moving around 268 fps. me personally, I stop at 70-75 yds as far as what's ethical. when I see someone doubling that distance as a possible shot, I can't help but wonder what part of the setup deserves the most focus.
I've given up even thinking about WT string jump since I know I can't beat it. if I aim low, they don't jump lol missed a few that way. I also have not seen any increase in penetration when using thin dia. shafts, actually it seems to be less, but my testing involved live targets so I'm still up in the air on that.