Arrow weight and speed

OP
littlebigtine

littlebigtine

Lil-Rokslider
It's usually around 30 grs for 10 fps, or 3gr per fps. It changes with different bows, also on how heavy the arrow is, but an arrow that's 5gpp to 8gpp is going to track around that if it's coming from a 27.5-30" draw bow that's in the 55-75# range.

I don't know what I'll be shooting next year for a hunting setup, it will be minimum of 280 fps, probably 288-295.
im currently shooting a ventum pro 30 29” @ 64#. ill bump up to 67-70# for hunting season around june so id expect those ~485ers to be pushing 270 by then surely.

cuttingedge

Lil-Rokslider
So far... may change. May lighten up the arrow to about 390 or up that poundage a smidgen. It's just so easy to draw at this weight. Don't have numbers for my Prime Revex 4 or my recurves yet.

PSE Evo XF 33 E2 cam 28.5" draw 59 pounds
430 grains at 270fps

So far... may change. May lighten up the arrow to about 390 or up that poundage a smidgen. It's just so easy to draw at this weight. Don't have numbers for my Prime Revex 4 or my recurves yet.

PSE Evo XF 33 E2 cam 28.5" draw 59 pounds
430 grains at 270fps
I would not recommend going lighter in the name of speed. Before I dove off the deep end of arrow weights and speeds I was shooting a 387 gr arrow at 317 fps. Shot a bull elk with it and watched it bury in him about 2-3”. I kid you not, that bull didn’t even flinch, he stood there and craned his head around and pulled the arrow out with his mouth. Talk about getting humbled real quick.

Been shooting a heavy arrow ever since.

I would not recommend going lighter in the name of speed. Before I dove off the deep end of arrow weights and speeds I was shooting a 387 gr arrow at 317 fps. Shot a bull elk with it and watched it bury in him about 2-3”. I kid you not, that bull didn’t even flinch, he stood there and craned his head around and pulled the arrow out with his mouth. Talk about getting humbled real quick.

I think I shot 8 elk with sub 400 gr arrows, no penetration issues at all. Only arrow that stayed in one was a bull I shot head on, and it was poking out between the hams.

At 300+ it was probably tuning issues not the weight of the arrow. If you are only getting 2-3" penetration, your arrow was hitting sideways.

I'm not saying light arrows are the way to go, but the light arrow isn't the reason that happened.

I think I shot 8 elk with sub 400 gr arrows, no penetration issues at all. Only arrow that stayed in one was a bull I shot head on, and it was poking out between the hams.

At 300+ it was probably tuning issues not the weight of the arrow. If you are only getting 2-3" penetration, your arrow was hitting sideways.

I'm not saying light arrows are the way to go, but the light arrow isn't the reason that happened.
Yes sir, I understand that point and I didn’t even know what tuning was at that point. But after diving into the rabbit hole I decided that a heavier arrow was the way to go for my preferences. No matter what arrow weight you shoot, tuning is one of the most important factors. Heavier just gives me confidence after that experience.

nphunter

WKR

Most likely hit the shoulder socket or large bone, I did that to a bull at 20 yards with a 65lb CST and a 420gr arrow. I don't know if a larger arrow would have helped in that situation, I've seen people shooting arrows close to 600gr with long draws and a lot of weight do the same thing with slender COC fixed heads. One thing that a lot of people miss IMO is that when you hit an elk like that and he pulls the arrow and walks off, they typically live to become older, if shooting a heavy (bone-breaking) arrow you might make it a couple more inches and get a single lung shot and never recover them. Which is worse? The one I shot a friend picked up his sheds the following spring and I have him on trial camera 2 years later.

Nothing can help with a poorly placed shot, I just practice holding a few inches behind the shoulder instead of right against it now.

Most likely hit the shoulder socket or large bone, I did that to a bull at 20 yards with a 65lb CST and a 420gr arrow. I don't know if a larger arrow would have helped in that situation, I've seen people shooting arrows close to 600gr with long draws and a lot of weight do the same thing with slender COC fixed heads. One thing that a lot of people miss IMO is that when you hit an elk like that and he pulls the arrow and walks off, they typically live to become older, if shooting a heavy (bone-breaking) arrow you might make it a couple more inches and get a single lung shot and never recover them. Which is worse? The one I shot a friend picked up his sheds the following spring and I have him on trial camera 2 years later.

Nothing can help with a poorly placed shot, I just practice holding a few inches behind the shoulder instead of right against it now.
Absolutely, with the shot placement I believe I hit a rib. I have no doubt that if that wound didn’t get infected that he lived. They’re tough animals without a doubt.

cuttingedge

Lil-Rokslider

Thank you for you input. I consider overall weight vs arrow drop. Nothing is free, it's all compromise. I have plenty of time to experiment before season. I will say that I am not on the super heavy band wagon