Arrow weight and speed

Evol

Lil-Rokslider
Going to hunt with 2 different bow/arrow combos this year to see if there is any difference. Never been a speed guy but I like to experiment.

Both BE rampages with different inserts/collars. Trying TAC vanes too.

470gr @ 285

420gr @ 308

nphunter

WKR
Draw weight was actually 67lbs. The guy at the shop thinks the slow speed may have more to do with the 4 3" vanes with a heavy helical.View attachment 535925View attachment 535929
That wouldn’t effect it that much at the bow, it might down range but it will take a while for the drag to slow it down. 67lbs with the limbs maxed or are they backed off? The bow is out of spec if it’s pulling that light maxed out unless it has 65lb limbs.

Last edited:
That wouldn’t effect it that much at the bow, it might down range but it will take a while for the drag to slow it down. 67lbs with the limbs maxed or are they backed off? The bow is out of spec if it’s pulling that light maxed out unless it has 65lb limbs.
They are 70lb limbs and they are maxed out. Would sting strech have anything to do with it? I noticed I now have to tilt my head slightly to see through the peep.

They are 70lb limbs and they are maxed out. Would sting strech have anything to do with it? I noticed I now have to tilt my head slightly to see through the peep.
Low draw weight is likely due to the cables being slightly long. They might have stretched a bit over time or started off a bit long. Add equal amounts of twist to both cables until draw weight reaches 70 lbs. Then check cam timing to make sure the draw stops are still hitting at the same time.

Peep sight misalignment may or may not be related. The string could also have stretched slightly (which would cause draw weight to increase, not decrease) or the peep may just have been installed before the string was fully settled. I would get draw weight in spec first, shoot for a while to get everything settled, then address peep alignment.

Dejhavu

FNG
FWIW, I like an arrow in the 450 grain to 550 green range for hunting.

That said it’s different for everyone as you have to balance trajectory and the performance advantages of a heavier Arrow.

i’m not a fan of outserts due to the fact it’s hard to get your broadheads aligned perfectly..... and I’m not a fan of the Maximas. These arrow shafts could be better now vs the ones I used for 3-D approximately eight years ago that were all busted up in the first month and a half.

Beendare

WKR
Those Mathews bows are sensitive to string and cable stretch, check ATA, that tells you immediately. When you bring your bow back to ATA spec, it will give you the correct poundage.

Last night I had some time and took some measurements. The ATA was 1/4" long. I took it to the shop today and they brought it back into spec and we retuned the bow. The speed increased to 262fps. I thought I would get more of an increase but that's what I got.

Spike elk

WKR
I will make you all feel good about your arrow speed. I am shooting a 14 year old Bowtech Nitrous at 60lbs and 29 inches. Flinging 400 grain arrows 256 fps.

Deadfall

WKR
I would not recommend going lighter in the name of speed. Before I dove off the deep end of arrow weights and speeds I was shooting a 387 gr arrow at 317 fps. Shot a bull elk with it and watched it bury in him about 2-3”. I kid you not, that bull didn’t even flinch, he stood there and craned his head around and pulled the arrow out with his mouth. Talk about getting humbled real quick.

Been shooting a heavy arrow ever since.
Amen!!!!

75# draw
550g at 285

I'm shooting a few point weight configurations. a few arrows with 100g point and 75g of brass. a few with 125g point and 60g of insert and collar and a few with 150g point and 15g insert