Arrow Setup Thoughts

I'm shooting 62 lb DW, 30" DL. Thoughts on tip weight for RIP TKO, 8.8 GPI with a 75 grain insert. 364 grains without a point on it. 100 gr broadhead puts me at 464 total grains, 13.56% FOC, @ 272 fps. 125 gr point puts me at 489 total grains, 15.59% FOC, @ 264 fps. Strictly looking at elk. I would love to increase my poundage back up, but shoulder surgery is keeping me where I'm at. Am I overthinking this???

Bump79

WKR
You won't have issues with either with a good head. The real question is what your effective range is.

If you want to shoot 50 yards with some known range and have 5 yd range forgiveness or have the ability for a long follow up shot I'd lean toward the 100 grain. If you're really concerned about penetration use a good COC broadhead with bleeders. At 30" 62# you won't have issues but it is nice knowing you have that confidence.

OP
B
You won't have issues with either with a good head. The real question is what your effective range is.

If you want to shoot 50 yards with some known range and have 5 yd range forgiveness or have the ability for a long follow up shot I'd lean toward the 100 grain. If you're really concerned about penetration use a good COC broadhead with bleeders. At 30" 62# you won't have issues but it is nice knowing you have that confidence.
This is the way I'm leaning. The bow is tuned well, and I shoot bareshaft regularly. I'm assuming I shouldn't have too many issues when I put a broadhead on. I'm just looking at thoughts before I buy the broadheads. It shoots well with both 100 gr and 125 gr field points. I think I'm just in analysis paralysis at the moment.

Bump79

WKR
This is the way I'm leaning. The bow is tuned well, and I shoot bareshaft regularly. I'm assuming I shouldn't have too many issues when I put a broadhead on. I'm just looking at thoughts before I buy the broadheads. It shoots well with both 100 gr and 125 gr field points. I think I'm just in analysis paralysis at the moment.
I've been there! I'm 30" 70-74# depending on the bow. You're KE and M are still higher than most guys at 28".

Just make sure the head is durable and flies well. In 100 I like a IW solid with bleeders, Day Six, Exodus, Contact MD3, etc. You'll kill a bull for sure if it gets in your way.

wapitibob

WKR
I'm shooting 407 gr at 60 ish pounds, 29.6" DL and have no hesitation shooting either a 4 blade Doom fixed or a 3 blade Spitfire mech for Elk. You will have no issues if you hit where you're supposed to.

Zac

WKR
100, don’t worry about your poundage. A few more lbs isn’t going to give you a noticeable difference in speed. 175 up front is plenty, I always think stiffer is better. Plenty of quality heads in that arena as well. If you simply want to go faster there are plenty of rigs that will do it at 60 lbs with your draw length. I have an Omen at 60 that is doing 286 fps a 477 grain arrow at 30.5 inches.

Killed elk with pass-throughs using sub-400gr arrows. Shoot what tunes well - prioritize that over arrow weight. With today's fast bows a well placed shot will do the job. I would lean towards fixed blade broadheads, but have had pass-throughs with mechs too.

Marble

WKR
I'm shooting 62 lb DW, 30" DL. Thoughts on tip weight for RIP TKO, 8.8 GPI with a 75 grain insert. 364 grains without a point on it. 100 gr broadhead puts me at 464 total grains, 13.56% FOC, @ 272 fps. 125 gr point puts me at 489 total grains, 15.59% FOC, @ 264 fps. Strictly looking at elk. I would love to increase my poundage back up, but shoulder surgery is keeping me where I'm at. Am I overthinking this???
I think your 464 grain head at 62 lbs is a great setup. Don't worry about it and concentrate on your hunt.

For your shoulder, I've had two surgeries so I know what you are going through. It's never been 100% since the original injury and repair. But, I weight train regularly and do lots of things the PT people taught me during recovery. It is possible. I would say a year post op you can really start concentrating on strength.

Good luck with your hunt!! September is almost here!!!

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk