Arrow help

ChadS

Lil-Rokslider
I shoot a Gold Tip Kinetic .300 with a 50 grain brass Easton HIT insert and 100 grain heads. Total arrow weight is right at about 490 grains and coming out of my bow at 288 fps landing me at either 91 or 96 lbs of kinetic energy (I dont remember exactly)

Now after this season I'm starting to notice that I'm breaking/spitting shafts in the front end when I hit anything hard. I know that is kind of to be expected but its starting to seem I have a weak point. I shot a doe last week and hit her high shoulder/spine. I pulled my arrow out and the shaft was split slightly again. When I processed her, I inspected the shoulder blade, and my arrow pushed a Rage 2 blade clean through the shoulder blade (the thinner part) and then broke the vertebrae too. So I guess the arrow is doing what i ask of it and hitting real hard.

Am I asking too much of the arrow with those numbers? Or should I expect that my shafts should not be breaking and re visit the arrow build for a better solution? Thanks!
IMG_0120.jpg

Last edited:

jmez

WKR
Shafts shouldn't be breaking. Are you using a BAR with the HIT inserts? I don't like the HIT system at all. One of the reasons is what you are experiencing. I would look for a different insert system is you like the arrows otherwise.

Are you cleaning the inside of the shaft after you cut them with a Q-Tip and denatured alcohol as well as the inserts prior to using a 24-hour epoxy?

I second the BAR as well.

mtbshark

WKR
i was running the same 50grain hit insert 100g head in my BE rampages, and i have been having the split end issue all thru 3d and hunting season.

i just changed up to the BE insert/outsert ss they sit at 56g and have missed shots on purpose to see how a Hard hit fairs with them and nay an issue. that said i think that the HIT system has a down side for regular shooters

I think that sometimes things will happen, I used to shoot GT 7595's and hit a shoulder and my arrow exploded and they used regular inserts, I now shoot axis 340 with 50 grain inserts and have yet to have a problem, I do use the BAR adapters all the time, but I believe if I were to hit an elk shoulder the outcome would be no different then before.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Here's a theory.......brass is soft. Perhaps when you hit something hard it is compressing inside the shaft and putting pressure from the inside causing the shafts to split. The reason I say this is I have been using regular HIT inserts in my arrows for the past 7 years without any issues. I normally shoot my TR Crush 300's which weigh in at 500gr at 285fps. I have hit everything known to man with these arrows without any splitting or breaking issues, and I don't use BAR's. I don't have any Kinetic 300's but I do have some 200's, and they also have regular HIT's in them. I am not a fan of the outserts.

I also have some Crush 300's set up with 75gr brass inserts, but I don't shoot them much.

TheArtRed

FNG
The HIT inserts system does not leave a protective ring around the top of the shaft. When the arrow hits, the pressure put on the interior of the shaft causes a lot of pressure. Imagine sticking a pencil in a straw and torquing it. Same result. (This, BTW, is why we did an outsert on our SD hunters in stead of an insert).
Combine the physics of that with the added KE of the brass insert, and the result is to much pressure being applied to the front and interior of the carbon. That is what causes the carbon to split.
Is it still getting the job done? Sure sounds like it. But it does get expensive over time. If you are in the market to try a new arrow, let me know and I'll get you taken care of.

desertcj

WKR
I have avoided the AXIS arrows because they use the HIT inserts. I don't know if it would be a problem, but it looks like it could be. For what it's worth, I missed a shot on a buck last season and hit a rock right next to him with an Easton Bloodline. The arrow splintered. My fault, but I wouldn't expect that to happen if I connected.

PhillyB

WKR
I had similar issues with my arrows last season. I found it was the glue I was using. When the glue bonded to the carbon it made them brittle.

Not sure what glue you are using, but that could be something to look at.