Arrow and sight help

Rjsand70

FNG
First guy in my family to be a bow hunter and really don’t trust my friend’s (bow shop owner) advice to be honest. I bought my Matthews V3x from him new a year or so ago and he through it together like he was skinning snakes and set my draw length. Being a rifle builder and doing machine work that makes me nervous to begin with especially after reading about you guys tuning bows, which we never even looked into. 6 months later I went back in to buy some arrows and he said my draw length was way too short. Being I’m a 30 year old man and haven’t grown since I was 16 I’m guessing that’s because of how hastily he does things. Anyways my draw length feels very long now I have to work pretty hard to find an anchor that feels comfortable.

He sold me some Montec G5’s as well as a few of my friends and I’ve been very unimpressed with the blood trails even on what I would and some of my more experienced friends would consider great shots. I’m looking for a broad head, I’m new so I don’t have a preference mechanical or fixed that does its job on white tail deer that I don’t have to worry about.

I also got a 4 pin sight that he highly recommended which thinking back was probably because it was in stock and I don’t know what a nice sight is like but it’s a trophy ridge and I’m not a fan. Everytime I shoot my bow I am impacting right of poa. As a poor shot I’m sure part of that is me but at 20 yards I’m not bad enough to change my sight every other month. I feel like there’s something better out there. What is the tangent theta, nightforce, of bow sights?

If there's another shop in the area, pay them a visit for a second opinion on draw length. If they're a Mathews dealer, they should have mods on hand to let you try out different DL's.

Have you tried adjusting your sight? If you're consistently hitting right of your pins, move the pins to the right. Trophy Ridge is on the budget end of the scale, but it's a perfectly serviceable sight.

I wouldn't get overly concerned about the sight. There are plenty of great hunters out there running much older and lower grade gear than you and they are killers. I would, however take it to another shop who you don't have any personal relationship with and have it adjusted to fit and tuned. That way you are another customer who needs to be treated professionally and you will get much more out of that than buying more equipment.

As far as the Montecs go, I use them and really like how they fly. That being said, there are a million other great options out there so find what you like. I know my brother has had great success with Rage products, but I lean toward a fixed blade.

OP
R

Rjsand70

FNG
If there's another shop in the area, pay them a visit for a second opinion on draw length. If they're a Mathews dealer, they should have mods on hand to let you try out different DL's.

Have you tried adjusting your sight? If you're consistently hitting right of your pins, move the pins to the right. Trophy Ridge is on the budget end of the scale, but it's a perfectly serviceable sight.
Yes sir everytime I start shooting again I move it right and it’ll stay that way for a while then if I lay it down for a week we’re heading back right

Ho5tile1

WKR
Trophy ridge site isn’t spot hogg or HHA but they are good sites. If everything on the site is tight and it’s not moving around when you touch it I’d say it’s you and your anchor changing,assuming there is no problems with your bow. There are lots of videos on YouTube that can help you find your draw length. I will say all my Mathews bows including my V3X run a touch longer then the number on the mod so a 29 might be say 29 5/8ths. My son has a trophy ridge react site on his bow and it’s been a great site, it’s been dropped hit etc. and holds zero. I would get your draw length sorted out and your anchor before pointing at the site. Go check out a different shop or try and see if you can watch some videos from John dudly or podium archery on draw length. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sizthediz

WKR
Trophy ridge site isn’t spot hogg or HHA but they are good sites. If everything on the site is tight and it’s not moving around when you touch it I’d say it’s you and your anchor changing,assuming there is no problems with your bow. There are lots of videos on YouTube that can help you find your draw length. I will say all my Mathews bows including my V3X run a touch longer then the number on the mod so a 29 might be say 29 5/8ths. My son has a trophy ridge react site on his bow and it’s been a great site, it’s been dropped hit etc. and holds zero. I would get your draw length sorted out and your anchor before pointing at the site. Go check out a different shop or try and see if you can watch some videos from John dudly or podium archery on draw length. Good luck

^^^^^^
This right here is solid advice. If everything is tight on sight it's your "consistency". As for montecs try sharpening to a razor finish. I think g5 sells a sharpener. Unless you're dead set on something else. Qad exodus have been great for me. Sharp, easy to tune, they sell replacement blades and good blood trails. Good luck

Ho5tile1

WKR
Qad broadheads are basically bomb proof they are hell on targets is my only complaint other then that they are a great head one of the best and they are not overly expensive

Sizthediz

WKR
Qad broadheads are basically bomb proof they are hell on targets is my only complaint other then that they are a great head one of the best and they are not overly expensive

I try to never "pull"them back through. It can be a PIA but I take off and pull arrow back through. Helps a little

Ho5tile1

WKR
I try to never "pull"them back through. It can be a PIA but I take off and pull arrow back through. Helps a little

That’s what we did yesterday on my buddies bow we where getting his stuff broadhead tuned he lost one in the target with the insert after that we pushed em through if we where able but some we just where not strong enough to push em through. It was so much fun making adjustments when he never shoots except the month and half before season while me and our other hunting buddy shoot all year and do 3D shoots. So we told him go home and shoot the next couple weeks get some consistency in your shot then we will try again lol. We gave him some much crap he looked like he had Parkinson’s trying to draw and hold on target. So his new name is Michael J Fox Jr. also it’s in no way a slight at folks who have that for real

Last edited:
OP
R

Rjsand70

FNG
^^^^^^
This right here is solid advice. If everything is tight on sight it's your "consistency". As for montecs try sharpening to a razor finish. I think g5 sells a sharpener. Unless you're dead set on something else. Qad exodus have been great for me. Sharp, easy to tune, they sell replacement blades and good blood trails. Good luck
So they need sharpened new out of the box? That’s not a smart ass question just genuinely curious.

Ho5tile1

WKR
Well I can’t speak for the G5 but the qad exodus that I’ve used before did not need to be sharpened out the box.

Sizthediz

WKR
So they need sharpened new out of the box? That’s not a smart ass question just genuinely curious.
I was referring to the g5 montecs. Not the qads exodus. Sorry the confusion. But yes I would make sure they are scalpel sharp. I check the pads

First guy in my family to be a bow hunter and really don’t trust my friend’s (bow shop owner) advice to be honest. I bought my Matthews V3x from him new a year or so ago and he through it together like he was skinning snakes and set my draw length. Being a rifle builder and doing machine work that makes me nervous to begin with especially after reading about you guys tuning bows, which we never even looked into. 6 months later I went back in to buy some arrows and he said my draw length was way too short. Being I’m a 30 year old man and haven’t grown since I was 16 I’m guessing that’s because of how hastily he does things. Anyways my draw length feels very long now I have to work pretty hard to find an anchor that feels comfortable.

He sold me some Montec G5’s as well as a few of my friends and I’ve been very unimpressed with the blood trails even on what I would and some of my more experienced friends would consider great shots. I’m looking for a broad head, I’m new so I don’t have a preference mechanical or fixed that does its job on white tail deer that I don’t have to worry about.

I also got a 4 pin sight that he highly recommended which thinking back was probably because it was in stock and I don’t know what a nice sight is like but it’s a trophy ridge and I’m not a fan. Everytime I shoot my bow I am impacting right of poa. As a poor shot I’m sure part of that is me but at 20 yards I’m not bad enough to change my sight every other month. I feel like there’s something better out there. What is the tangent theta, nightforce, of bow sights?
I would go to a different shop to address draw length and tune (make sure they deal with mathews) draw length could easily be the cause of a wandering zero if it’s too long

Broadheads for deer? Hard to find one not up to the task honestly, a QAD exodus is a good starting point, I’m a fan of German kinetic silver flame xl… there should be more1.5” 2 blades on the market, it’s a very versatile dimension, but for some reason people think they are big, but I almost guarantee they out penetrate your typical 3 blade and make a nice hole… mechanical heads will be fine too, the 1 3/8” reapers or G5 T2 or dead meat would be good options or the rage black from Lancaster (basically a 1.75” trypan with the old style collar)

Sights, spot hogg is the nightforce of sights, great bomb proof sights, but I think they are overbuilt and I don’t care for them after shooting them for most of the past 25 years. I’m a big fan of black gold sights, I have never had a single problem with a black gold, and they are pretty light and have excellent pins, through S&S archery you can build a custom black gold of your choice which is pretty cool.

You have to go to a different shop because you obviously don’t trust your buddy, and in archery, confidence is so important, I can’t stress that enough… you are either confident and moving towards better or not confident and getting worse (usually at a rapid rate)

Don’t settle, you can’t afford to, right now you need your confidence improving getting better, not getting straight into a slump that’s hard to get out of, and I promise, a slump in archery can be a nightmare

OP
R

Rjsand70

FNG
I would go to a different shop to address draw length and tune (make sure they deal with mathews) draw length could easily be the cause of a wandering zero if it’s too long

Broadheads for deer? Hard to find one not up to the task honestly, a QAD exodus is a good starting point, I’m a fan of German kinetic silver flame xl… there should be more1.5” 2 blades on the market, it’s a very versatile dimension, but for some reason people think they are big, but I almost guarantee they out penetrate your typical 3 blade and make a nice hole… mechanical heads will be fine too, the 1 3/8” reapers or G5 T2 or dead meat would be good options or the rage black from Lancaster (basically a 1.75” trypan with the old style collar)

Sights, spot hogg is the nightforce of sights, great bomb proof sights, but I think they are overbuilt and I don’t care for them after shooting them for most of the past 25 years. I’m a big fan of black gold sights, I have never had a single problem with a black gold, and they are pretty light and have excellent pins, through S&S archery you can build a custom black gold of your choice which is pretty cool.

You have to go to a different shop because you obviously don’t trust your buddy, and in archery, confidence is so important, I can’t stress that enough… you are either confident and moving towards better or not confident and getting worse (usually at a rapid rate)

Don’t settle, you can’t afford to, right now you need your confidence improving getting better, not getting straight into a slump that’s hard to get out of, and I promise, a slump in archery can be a nightmare
That’s settled then 1.5 hour drive to the next closest bow shop I’m gonna go Tuesday.

BTLowry

FNG
My .02
First find a good shop with qualified people that can get the bow fitted to you and tuned properly for your setup
If you have no experience with archery pay for some lessons (if any are offered near you)
A good coach can help you with a lot, mainly correcting form issues before you learn bad habits that are difficult to correct